Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost a sister and a bro-in-law

Hello everyone

I am new here and wanted to share with you my experiences of alcohol and what it does to oneself and to your family.

I very sadly lost my sister to alcohol 2 years ago. She was always one to love a party and had a fantastic sense of humour. She was 13yrs older than me, and I can always remember her loving a drink. We had a silly disagreement about 5 years ago, made up, but never got as close again, as we used to be. I heard rumours from her son that she had started to drink in the morning, and that she would hide her bottles under the sink, under the bed, at the back of the wardrobe, and it was obvious that she was seriously in denial. About 9 months before she died she was admitted to hospital, with internal bleeding. She had been in and out for the best part of 2 years, with alcohol related problems. I wasn't supposed to know, she didn't want any visitors, (she was always immensely proud, and would not have liked for me to have been told how bad things had got). I thought "sod that", I'm going to visit, and tell her I know. So off I went to the hospital. I stood in the doorway, and she didn't know I was there. She was talking to a nun, who visited patients in the hospital. I didn't know how to approach her, didn't want to add to her anxiety levels, so I just stood and watched. She looked all bloated, swollen stomach, swollen ankles, and looked awful. I felt pain go through my heart. She looked over to the door, and burst into tears, and said to the nun, "that's my sister" and held out her arms to me. I walked over and we had a lovely warm hug. She cried, but I couldn't. Although I was hurting like mad and very concerned, I wanted to stay strong. I told her that I knew she had a drink problem, she didn't deny it, but didn't admit it. I asked her to stop drinking, and she said, "I'll only drink on special occasions". I knew that she didn't want to give up, but I know now that the damage had been done, and the Drs had warned her to quit entirely, to stop any further damage. She had been told this time and time again, but it was too late. The drink had her in a hand held vice right around her throat, and she couldn't escape. We had a lovely chat talking about our mum who we had lost only 18 months previously, and I know that this had paid a great part to her escalation in drinking. They hadn't always got on, and when mum died, they hadn't really made up. My sister was a wonderfully warm generous person, but had a very complex personality, and found it hard to let things go. She always used drink as a way of "winding" down.
    She sadly died the following June from a bleed to her brain. I am still grieving her, my mum, my aunt and uncle, and now only 2 weeks ago my brother in law died from cirrhosis, although the autopsy is inconclusive and we have to wait a month for confirmation of cause of death.

I have been drinking of a night time 3-4 xs a week and have noticed that I am becoming more and more reliant on the stuff, (red wine). My health is suffering because of all the losses I have had to my family (5) in 4 yrs. The drink causes tachycardia, and I have gained weight . I am tying to gain control of my life, but it is hard, I stumbled upon this forum, and thought I would join for support and share my experiences. I don't want to go down the same road as my sister so I hope I can find support on here.

Take care everyone. Life is too precious to waste. Please help me be strong and be strong for yourselves and your families.

Regards

Sad
    First I would like to say welcome to you as I see this is your first post. This is truly a sad story and my heart goes out to you. You have lost so much due to alcohol. I'm very glad that you found this place and that you have come here for support. There are many very remarkable people here that will be happy to support you. Your post touches us all and can only remind us that life is too short to waste anytime. We are happy you are here.
    Time

Comment

thankx for sharing ,stay strong and think positive
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Sad,
        What a tragic story! I can see you have some stong motivation to have your life turn out differently. All of us here will be a source of support for you. I consider this forum my "life line". Welcome and I look forward to your future posts. kriger
        "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Welcome Sadheart; I read your post and my heart goes out to you. You have come to the place that has lots of support and understanding. I came here in March and cannot believe that I am AL free, it truley is a life saving site. Come to chat, there is a lot of us that are on there at different times with support that can help.

think positive and be strong......Rusty
          :heart:AF since May 31 2008.....Happy and Healthy

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words of support. I feel touched that people understand and care. I don't share my feelings of loss so it will be nice to be able to talk.

Can you tell me where the book is so that I download it.

Also, it is now fast approaching the evening, and this is the worst time for me. I put the kids to bed, and then start to want a glass of wine to settle. This is where I am finding it the hardest. Once 10 o'clock has gone I'm over it, but before, I want a glass of wine. If I can find this book, perhaps I could have a read to distract me.

Once again thank you for your support.

Comment

Sadheart: You can find the book on this MWO website. Go to the homepage and under Buy the Book...click to download it onto your computer.

I was sad to read your story of your sister. Alcohol does such damage to families and friends. I'm very happy you have come to MWO and have posted your story. It's hard to quit drinking but if you put your mind to it, it's possible. I'm not totally there yet but have many stretches of alcohol free days now that I have found this wonderful place.
              I wish you the best and look forward to seeing you on the boards.:welcome::l
              When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
              -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Welcome Sadheart, thank you for posting your story. I am so sorry for your losses. It is a grim reminder that alcohol does alot more than leave us feeling like crap, it also deteriorates our health in ways we cannot see inside. I needed to read that. Once I get a few days AF in a row it gets easier, and I bet it will be that way for you too. :h Suz
                The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Sadheart, your story touched me deeply. I am so glad you have found us. You will find many of us going through many different struggles but we all share a common trend - alcohol - and we are all trying to kick it some way or another. I think others have given you some wonderful advice here.

Best of luck in your journey and please keep us posted as to your progress.

love and hugs,
                  Uni
                  Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                  :h

Comment

Welcome Sadheart,
                    I'm so touched and saddened by your story. You are not alone, there are so many wonderful people here who will lift you up and lighten your heart. Stay strong and be well...
                    Love, River
                    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Hi Sadheart

No wonder you chose that as your username, I am very sorry to hear your story.

Fortunately I am the only one in my family with a serious drink problem, (although my brother did start indulging when my dad was dying of cancer) but I have lost a number of good friends over the last few years all far too young, and all due to alcohol, so I can relate to what you are going through.

Please stick around here, read the book, get the sups and I think you can happily know for sure the last thing your sister will want is for you to go down the same road.

I do take some solace in knowing my friends who have passed are at peace now, and not battling this monster on a daily basis.

Comment

Again, thank you for your kind words of support.

I'm going through a mixed bag of emotions today. Last night I slept pretty ok, but my sister was constantly on my mind. I try not to think too much about her as I thought of kind of accepted how she died, but after posting on here and telling her story, all be-it somewhat briefly, it kind of raked up emotions that I have obviously been suppressing, so I am not sure if it's a good thing talking about it now, or perhaps to take the positive side from it, I guess, one reason why these past 4 yrs have been a blur, is because I have been SUPPRESSING my emotions, and I have turned to wine for comfort and to block out the pain.

My hubby and I were talking last night and realised that we have developed a routine, or kind of comfort zone, by drinking of an evening. I am glad that I have not started drinking of a day, and have never felt the need to have a drink during the daytime, but I can see how things can easily progress.

One of my sisters and mums favourite sayings the morning after a party or family get together, was "lets have the hair of the dog", and it used to disgust me. In fact, my dad was/is an alcoholic too, and I always said that I would NEVER turn to drink, yet, now I am getting comfort from wine too.

Drink has always been a big part of my family. My dad put drink before his family, (he started at the age 13), and almost drank himself to death. He was quite a violent man when he drank, so my upbringing was an un-happy one. He never laid a finger on me but he would smash the place up, and cause my mum to up sticks and take us to stay in her brothers, (the aunt and uncle who died). My dad thankfully left when I was 13, after attempting to cut her throat in front of me, and didn't show his face until I was 27. I now speak to him, (I am in my 40's), but only established a relationship with him after my mum died. So, I guess I kind of feel guilty about that too, you know being unfaithful to my mum kind of thing, but I know she won't mind as she would never have stopped me speaking to him or seeing him, when she was alive, if I had wanted to.

He was told 3 yrs ago that he had to stop drinking or his liver was going to pack up, and he hasn't touched a drop since after going cold turkey, (which nearly killed him too). He phones me every other week, and I have heard from his brother, that he regrets the WASTED YEARS. He has never told me that or apologised to me, but I guess, the fact that he regrets things helps me.

I am sorry for waffling on, I have opened the flood gates now....and I am feeling quite strange talking to strangers. This is what it must feel like talking to a counsellor...

I have bought some lovely bottles of lemon juice, (must be nice, my kids love it too), to start a detox, and a body scrub for when I soak in the bath later on. I will probably be sharing my emotions regularly so I please bare with me.

Although I didn't have a drink last night, I consider today and tomorrow as my 1st and 2nd AF days, as I rarely go longer than 2-3 evenings without a drink.

Thank you for listening and I wish you all a good AF drink day too.

Comment

The great thing about being in your 40's is that you are in the middle of your life and that you have the LUXURY of looking back at the past and forward to the future. I had a very wise person once tell me that my parents and family are just people - nothing more - not super heros. And as people they just do the best that they possibly can do with the skills and knowledge that they possess. Some do better than others. His advice was to take a look at the experiences that you had with your parents and family and take forward with you the positive experiences of your choosing and release the negative experiences completely as they will only weigh you down as you continue on with your life. It appears that you have had a lot happen to you in your life that you need to sort through - a lot of good and a lot of bad. Take the good and put it in a safe place where you can appreciate it whenever you want. Take the bad and bury it in the back yard! One thing is for certain...you need to break the "chain" of your family cycle of drinking. The pattern must be broken for next generation.

Comment

Very nice post Case and welcome Sadheart,

You have certainly been dealt a tremendous number of heartbreaking events and, no surprise, alcohol is in the center of it all. You've reminded us all that alcohol can destroy lives and wreak havoc within families. Good for you for choosing a different path and letting all those emotions bubble out - your trust in this community is well placed. I have witnessed the most compassionate and often humorous outpouring of support from around the globe right here at MWO. It's not always an easy path, this journey into sober-land; but our bodies, loved ones and most importantly our real selves love every blessed minute of it. Welcome.

V.

Comment

Hello everyone

Today is day 3. Just been for a long walk around the park with the kids. Feeling ok. Yesterday I had a scary Tachycardia moment. I don't know if it is connected to my drinking, but it started at the beginning of the year and I was admitted to hospital. Had to have a shock to bring it back down to normal rhythm. I was monitored for a while, but Drs think it's all connected to anxiety and stress. Do any of you think it could be connected or have had this problem as well.

Last night was hard up until ten past nine, when I had a bath, made a cup of de-caf tea and watched 2 episodes of Frasier on DVD. Woke up this morning feeling glad that I hadn't give in, although I admit to being tempted to going to get a bottle of red to share with other half.

Tonight is going to be tough too, especially if I have a stressful day with the kids, hence taking them to walk in the park. My cousin drinks nightly too as she like me doesn't have a social life and we had a good chat yesterday. She doesn't think it's affecting her health and said that she drank a whole lot more years ago, when she used to go out every fri,sat, and sunday.

Anyway, lets see how it goes. I've decided to put the past back in the past for now, as I don't like the feeling I get from talking about it. Onwards and upwards now.

Have a nice AF day everyone, and thank you all for your words of wisdom and support.

Bye for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X