Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kid

Hey everybody,
    I've been reading everone's posts and I'm glad I joined into such supportive community=)
    I do have some questions on possible strategies on how to go about becomming AF or at least cutting down drastically (although I think not drinking at all is probably much better)
    My situation is DIRECTLY affecting my recovery as I am a BARTENDER.
    We are aloud to drink at my work, and it's often encouraged as you make more money from drunks if you drink with them.
    I am trying to get day shifts, because I've always been the kind of person who feels strange drinking before the sun goes down (strange parameter)
    Until then, I'm stuck on nights and with my regulars who are used to being able to buy me drinks, shots etc....
    Does anyone have any suggestions on being able to stay sober during my work hours??
    In the meantime I hope I can get days soon as I'm pretty tired of getting up at noon feeling like crap and regretting drinking five days a week....

New kid

I learned this trick years ago. If someone wanted to buy us drink which happened numerous times a day we would say sure take the cash ring up the drink or put the drink on their tab. Then we would walk over to the ice bin and pick up the beer we had in there take a drink look at the customer and say thank you. This was we rang money up in the till for the owners, had plenty of drinks paid for if we got done with work and wanted a few more and best of all we made the guest feel good by accepting the drink and taking a drink of it while thanking them. It worked really good, its all about making the guest feel good and in turn we also did not over do it and made money for the bar.

Sammys

Comment

New kid

Hello and Welcome Bartender
      I really have no words of wisdom for your situation. That is a tough one. I have never seen the bartenders in my area drink while they are working. I'm sure that someone will come along who can be helpful. Getting on the day shift sounds like a good plan. I just wanted to welcome you. This place has been a Godsend to me. There are many great people here who are very knowledgeable and supportive. Hope to see you on the boards.
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

New kid

Oh how I relate.
        I worked on a Ranch, and this was the norm as well.

It is predictable what one shot turns into in my case.
        I know what I did yesterday in the manner in which I wake up.
        Terrible, at best.

Is their a way you can figure out a way to deter the customer and give yourself a shot of seltzer or something of that nature.

Also, this can become life or death, if left untreated. I am sure your customers "feel" a certain way in buying you shots, but, if they knew it was life threatening, they would not intend to do harm.
        I have told others that I am on medicine that will be hindered if I ingest alcohol.

I just met someone that was a bartender for 30 years and she is now ill with her organs in jeopardy.
        She is now thinking of herself first, in a respectfull way, she stands her ground now at work and it did not harm her income, in fact, she says she is richer in many ways now.

Keep in touch~
        Lots of good thoughts your way.
        :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Working...
        X