Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about the weekend

Good Morning All,

Didn't drink any less last night, but didn't drink any more either. Do I feel good or bad?!?! I'm worried about the weekend. I am pondering sticking to my 7-8 beers max, then taking half a sleep aid, no matter how early it is. I use the beer as a sleep aid anyway.

Any advice?
    We may not get there today, we may not get there tomorrow.
    We will not get there in a straight line but.....WE WILL GET THERE!

7-8 Beers is a good sleep aid if you like getting up twice during the night..! Are you taking Nyal sleep aid?

Comment

You'd be very surprised how much better you sleep without an aid just 7 days AF.

As far as my experience goes, I hadn't slept good in 20 years on AL. I actually forgot what a nights rest felt like. Holy-Moley! it's wonderful! and no more dry mouth all night long!

I guess you just have to try it to believe it!

Get past that 3rd day AF and you will understand.

btw, sleeping pills and AL are (to me) a deadly combo. Couldn't have told me that 2 weeks ago though!

I hated my doctor for telling me that!
      And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.~Anais Nin

Comment

Real, restful sleep does come easy after a while.
        Once your brain has realised that it has the chance to rest itself instead of being knocked out.
        Weird and wonderful dreams I found, were a sign that the rewiring process is working.
        It will take a few rough days to get there, but it's worth it....truly.
        Give it a try

Comment

Nan-I don't think mixing sleep aids with alcohol is a good idea. I say nix the beer and take the sleep aid. Like the others have said I sleep so much better sober. Try to think of the weekend as any other day. Plan activities first thing in the morning so you can't "sleep it off". Good luck!

Comment

Great idea Shelby but I'm not ready to nix the beer. I know it is a bad combo but I'm going to give it a try with 1/2 dose of Tylenol Simply Sleep.

I believe things will be better when I recieve the book and supps. Just really scared to be without my longtime friend/enemy.

Comment

Nan,
              Make a plan of things to do to keep really busy so you won't have time to think about AL. Once I made it thru my first weekend AF, I didn't have any trouble with last weekend. I now look at it, not as three days wasted drinking and feeling lousy, but as an opportunity to get out of the house and enjoy something (anything). I took a long walk with a friend last weekend and showed up for a ribbon cutting I would have blown off due to hangover before. It was such a freeing weekend experience that I haven't felt in a LONG time. I somethimes feel I have been let out of prison! Kriger
              "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Nan,
                Don't take Tylenol with alcohol; it is a horrible combo for the liver-can be fatal. Switch to ibuprofen. kriger
                "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Thanks Kriger,

I will double check the ingredients, but I think the Simply Sleep is only made by Tylenol; no pain reliever. My pain reliever of choice is good ol' aspirin.

Comment

Al is a horrid sleep aide. As you dwindle down you will notice you sleep so much better without it. Weekends are really hard when you are craving AL. Plan you days out ahead of time. MAKE yourself remain active. Stay busy.....go to the movies, the park, the lake, the mall....any thing, but stay busy.
                    Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Nan,

Start drinking later, and try to drink less. Sorry...but that's the only advice I can think of! I think you are going to feel AWFUL taking a sleep aid on top of alcohol - i did it once on a flight and it made me SICK SICK SICK.

Hope you figure something out...I think you could go AL free for a night if you put your mind to it.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info Sassy. I'm not going to hold my breath going AF, but if I choose to risk a sleep aid I will be very careful with consumption.

Have a wonderful weekend. Probably won't post until Monday unless husband goes out tomorrow. Not sure why, but I don't want him to know what I am doing quite yet.

To all, remember....

Comment

I think "Simply Sleep" is ok.

Tylenol.com ? Simply Sleep

Its just the same as a unisom I think.

So the only real danger is Marilyn Monroe/Heath Ledger syndrome of taking so many relaxants that it shuts down your breathing and your body can't wake up.

I've been fighting an airway obstruction problem for the last three years. Basically when I sleep, my airway collapses and I can't breath. I can't tell during the night, but in the morning I'll know because my heartbeat races above 120 beats per minute, and my eyes are bloodshot. Over the years, I came to use alcohol as a sleep replacement system. I still had the obstruction, but alcohol allowed my brain to keep turned off so I got something that resembled sleep. I could never get REM sleep, but I could get a nap. I've now been through two surgeries, and been AF enough to remember what natural sleep feels like. It's pretty amazing.

So please double check if you have any apnea problems. They can be surgically fixed, so find a snoring surgeon to check your throat. Don't go to a "sleep clinic" because they just charge $5000 to give a test and give you a $5000 CPAP machine that requires a retest every year (its a racket), all covered by insurance, without actually fixing anything.

And keep it in mind. It takes 4-5 days AF to even begin to resume natural sleep, and the first few nights are hell as your body switches systems. I've reverted a couple times this month. But look forward to trying again in the next few days, and in the very near future having natural sleep for the rest of my life.

No more alcohol comas for me.

Comment

I know...the AF is hard. You'll get there, you will really will. In the meantime, keep up the good fight.

Comment

I'm worried about the weekend. I am pondering sticking to my 7-8 beers max, then taking half a sleep aid, no matter how early it is. I use the beer as a sleep aid anyway.

Any advice?
                              Nan, I just read through your thread and heard the part about how you wanted advice... but I didn't hear the part where you really wanted to consider, or accept, any advice that was different from what you already had planned... am I missing something?

wip

Comment

Working...
                              X