When it all started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it all started

I am an only child. My parents meant the world to me. In 1999 I was finally able to convince my Dad that they needed to move here so I could help him with my Mom. She was depressed, addicted to hydrocodone, and losing her mind. We found a great house, they moved here, and I thought everything was going to be great. Then, my Dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor (the worst kind--100% fatal--GBM). He would go out in the middle of the night and wind up lost. Everything went downhill. He would pee in the closet or on my Mom's bed. He would polish his shoes with toothpaste. Most people don't realize that brain tumors make you crazy. This man was the most wonderful person. He could do anything. I watched him die for 8 months. We did everything we could, but to no avail. My son took care of him, shaved him, put him in the shower, changed his diapers. Then, my senior -in- college son was busted for marijuana. He and his girlfriend were watching a movie in their pajamas and the drug task force busted the door down, confiscated my Dad's little handguns, a safe, and an ounce of pot. Terrorized the little dogs and took my son and his girlfriend to jail. Obviously they were a huge threat to society. Thousands of dollars later and a letter writing campaign on my part, he was released from the detention center. In the meantime, while he was incarcerated, I started drinking to excess and suffered a 4 cm kidney stone. I peed gravel and sand for weeks, but I still went to see him every weekend. I had to move my Mom into an assisted living facility, but the money ran out and I quit my job and brought her home with me. She broke her other hip and had to go to rehab. By then her Alzheimers had gotten so bad that she could not remember rehab. She never walked again and died in May two years ago. So, things have pretty much sucked in my life since then. On July 3, I lost my 13-year old chihuahua, Jenny, my baby, to cancer--she died in my arms; and last week, my beautiful, big, black baby--Brodie-- was hit by a car and killed instantly. He was on his daily walk with his dad and somehow got away from my husband, took off running full tilt for home and was killed by a motorist. He was only two years old. I guess I need to learn to deal with grief in some other way than drinking until I pass out. I'm hopeful and looking forward to a better life. :upset:

When it all started

KTB,
    I am so sorry about the recent loss of your babies and everything you have been dealing with in the past 10 yrs. That is about all I can say right now since I am still absorbing the enormity of your story.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing.
    We may not get there today, we may not get there tomorrow.
    We will not get there in a straight line but.....WE WILL GET THERE!

Comment

When it all started

Thank you!

Comment

When it all started

KTB,

Stay with us! This is a wonderful place to become grounded and achieve your goals regarding alcohol. You are among friends who can offer advice, understanding and never judge. It is very difficult for many of us, who have put others first our whole lives to learn to be kind to ourselves! Start by pampering yourself this week end. Welcome!

Best
        "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

When it all started

KTB -

There's no doubt - life has not been kind to you or your family of late. You have handled it the best you knew how. Please know that.

Now, it appears, you want to do better. Great. Please join us and let's all try to do things better together. It's a great group, very caring and non judgemental, all trying to help one another.

Welcome
          Happy to be AF Since 9.13.08

Comment

When it all started

Welcome KTB. You have been through so much. I'm sorry for all the losses you have suffered.
            You have come to the right place. Everyone here will help you each step of the way. Best wishes on your journey.

Comment

When it all started

O2M that was beautiful.
              We may not get there today, we may not get there tomorrow.
              We will not get there in a straight line but.....WE WILL GET THERE!

Comment

When it all started

Thank you all so much. I only gave you a piece of the horrible things that have happened in the last few years. When you hear the whole story, if you do, I am sure you will all want to go out and buy a bottle!

Comment

When it all started

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv:
                  do your best and remeber you are not alone stay strong and think positive
                  :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                  best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

When it all started

KTB, you are brave for posting all that. It sounds so tough for you. My thoughts are with you.
                    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

When it all started

KTB
                      Welcome and know that you came to the right place. You have much healing to do in many areas...we are here to lend support, kindness and love. I look forward to getting to know you better. Remember...one day at a time. This problem we all share is a tough one to battle but together we are all capable of doing it. Best wishes. kriger
                      Day 18
                      "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

When it all started

Thank you all so much. Maybe I have finally found a family. Being an only child sucks when you get old.

Comment

When it all started

You can always find friends here who will listen. Take care.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

When it all started

I'm so sorry that you have been through all of that my friend - how overwhelming! You have come to the right place - everyone here has a story as well - and we are all here for each other. You are among friends now. Please keep posting. Things will get better once the Beast is tamed. One day at a time is all we can do. Prayers for strength and peace coming your way.

K
                            "All that we are is a result of what we have thought" Buddah:heart:

Comment

When it all started

KTB - you're not an only child anymore, you've definitely found your new family.
                              Stay with us and post often. We're all here for each other.
                              So sorry to hear of your losses and the experiences you've been through.
                              Love and Hugs,
                              Chelle
                              ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Working...
                              X