Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valerian - Anyone?

Anyone take this supplement?

I read about it and picked some up at CVS this afternooon. It is sometimes referred to as "Nature's Valium"...

From Wikipedia: Valerian is used against sleeping disorders, restlessness and anxiety, and as a muscle relaxant. Valerian often seems only to work when taken over longer periods (several weeks), though many users find that it takes effect immediately.

I took three of them tonight (per instructions on the bottle) along with 1000 mg L-Glut and feel really relaxed. Not thinking about drinking at all (unusual, for a Friday night.)

Anyway...just thought I'd share!

Valerian - Anyone?

Oh and by the way...

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

My CDs and Supps just arrived...geez, overwhelming!

Just checked River and my Topa has left India...

I am on my way

Comment

Valerian - Anyone?

I've used it as a sleep aid for more than 15 years. I particularly like the branded version Alluna, which I think is made by Celestial Seasonings tea company. It's hard to get now.

Store brands are good and bad. If you find a good one stick with it, don't switch. Bad ones have little effect, or a side effect of sour stomach or weird headaches.

I find the three pill dosing way too strong for me. For sleep, I use 2 pills at night, or one pill if I'm drinking. For stress, one pill in the morning and one pill at 4pm works best for me.

For me, it makes me zone in a pleasant way. It's like my herbal lithium, or my SSRI I took years ago. I takes the edges off both high and low. That's the good part.

The bad part is that for me the effect lasts 48 hours. So just one pill, and I'm still not "edgy" 2 days later. And that means on top of "feeling no pain", I also have no sex drive, and no real joy. Caffiene works great to make me alert in the morning after a night with a Valerian pill. But after lunch, I find myself drowsy and dormant just just the day after, but even two days after (18 hours after) I take a single pill.

So I heartily recommend it as a de-stressor when something bad happens and you want to be numb for a couple days. If your cat dies, or you get a letter audit from the IRS, or the mother-in-law pops in for a 3 week visit, then pop a couple Valerian pills and you'll function as a normal adult just fine.

Just be aware of those two things: 1) Different brands have very different qualities, and 2) the effect lasts a long time.

At least for me.

Comment

Valerian - Anyone?

I take 2 to help me sleep also. 3 are too much and feel groggy in the pm too.
        if you take them with some echinacae (sp) you will have some of the wildest dreams ever; at least I do.
        -maybe, is the new maybe-

Comment

Valerian - Anyone?

Interesting, Bossman. Not sure if the on/off headache I have tonight is just more of the same (I've had one since Tuesday being AF) or if it's a result of the Val.

Comment

Valerian - Anyone?

Hi Sassy --- I take 2 valerian pills to settle on an AF night. I was first introduced to Valerian by my BF in Australia when I was visiting her. ..... i was wound up from a great night out ... she gave two tabs and I slept like a baby. Never have had the need for them during the day... I just use them as a sleep aid.

Comment

Working...
            X