First timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer

After talking/thinking about doing this for 20+years, just finished my second clean day. Can't believe I did it. No withdrawal symptoms yet, just very tired. What's going to happen next, I wonder? Completely uncharted territory for me. Found MWO by accident surfing for advice on natural foods that could help. Any ideas?
    Man on Firenfire::

First timer

I did not experience withdrawal symptoms, can't help you there but maybe if something awful were going to happen, some symptoms would have happened by now. There are many here who have quit suddenly and gotten through it, but many recommend that you check wth your MD to be sure. A lot depends on how much you have been drinking for how long. Tapering off I think is safer, but so many of us can't quit once we start drinking.

I hope you mean that you are on fire to quit drinking. Getting together that resolve and determination can be the hardest thing of all.

Welcome, and my best to you.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

First timer

Welcome, MOF! And good job, getting off the alcohol. Advice? Stick around here, find out more about the program (read the book), set up a plan of your own, based on the MWO program, and participate in some of the beginner or 30-day threads. Tell us more about yourself, too! And, most important, make a strong, un-shakeable commitment to get the alcohol abuse out of your life.

You will find a lot of help and support here.

wip

Comment

First timer

Hey Man on Fire..... ( Great movie by the way)
        I found this place surfing too..I had to.
        Two days is bloody hard. Well done.
        Stay with us if you can. There are many people who have been in the same place as you, myself included, who will help both of us along the way.

Comment

First timer

Hi MOF and :welcome:.
          Congratulations on getting through that second day!
          Best wishes to you.
          C
          ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

First timer

Welcome MOF! Well done on 2 days!
            Best wishes to you.

Comment

First timer

Man on Fire,

Excellent job on 2 days AF! Welcome and keep going. I didn't experience any w/d symptoms this time AF and after two days, other than being tired, you many be one of the lucky ones that doesn't experience much. Keep hydrating and taking a multi-vitamin to make up for the nutrients that you lost during drinking. Are you sleeping okay? If not, that usually regulates within the first week and gets back to normal.

Other than that, keep on the site, read the book, and enjoy your sobriety. It is difficult but so worth it. It seems strange, but I feel like I am living my life again. A whole new life actually. Good luck! Gabby.
              Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Comment

First timer

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to taper off for a while now, but just can't seem to make headway. Got to try something more radical
                Man on Firenfire::

Comment

First timer

Welcome MOF
                  Good job on 2 days AF. Withdrawal symptoms will depend on how much you drank and for how long. Sometimes it takes 48-72 hours for withdrawal to begin. Mine was pretty bad, and I needed medication. I was on Ativan for a couple of weeks. I then tapered off of that and started taking the vitamins and supps (not all of them), that are recommended here. I wish u well as u begin your journey. I hope to see you around the boards.
                  "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

First timer

:colorwelcome: MOF and congratulations on those 2 sober days. I can relate to your first post - was a daily drinker for the better part of 30 years, and for the last 10+ of them I would tell myself every single day that the madness needed to stop - but of course I didn't stop it until 97 days ago.

I suggest reading the book. If you already know in your heart you cannot drink moderately, or just don't want alcohol in your life anymore, focus on the AF (alcohol free) language rather than moderation. Many of us (I am one) are too far gone with AL to take a partial step back from it.

I would also suggest reading the "sticky" thread at the top of the "Need Help ASAP" section which has links to a couple of different documents containing withdrawl symptoms. I found it helpful to know even what the mild ones were. I also had Mr. Doggy keep an eye on me for the first week so he could call for help should any of the more serious symptoms develop. (never had any of the really bad ones.)

I take the full range of supplements recommended here, exercise daily (HIGHLY recommend that!), eat NO sugar, and do a half a$$ job with the hypnosis CD's. All of that has helped me with sobriety, but in all honesty it still takes a ton of resolve - at least for me. No magic here either.

Best wishes to you. If you decide to shoot for 30 days alcohol free as a starting point, you are welcome to join us on the "Booze Busters" Thread in the Monthly Abstinence section. There is also a Daily thread in that section that I find very motivational, and several longer term sober folks post there too - leading the way with experience if you will!!

DG
                    Day 97 Hangover Free
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

First timer

Hey!!! Welcome! Well done on making this HUGE change in your life. It will be worth it. I also felt tired hen i went AF. It's now been about 12 days (with one slip) and i'm still feeling tired. I'm also feeling hungry all the time and indulge myself on sweets *lol* so maybe this will happen to you.
                      Stay strong!!! and GOOD LUCK!

Comment

First timer

Hi Man on Fire

Welcome!

Ditto what the others say- I also recommend the antabuse thread- lots of good info there- sometimes it is harder to stay stopped than stop, and some of us need help with that (me being one of them).

Hope you keep dropping by.

Comment

First timer

Hi Man on Fire.
                          Welcome to you!
                          You have received lots of wonderful advice from the others so I don't have much more to add. Just that I felt desperately tired too at first, that lasted a couple of weeks along with some anxiety. All these things right themselves over time just keep going!
                          Take care Startingover
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

First timer

Welcome! The first five to six days are the hardest it seems. Drink a lot of water, it fills you up! I think the supplements help, for sure the kudzu and L-Glut. They are great for the cravings. Hang tough because from what I can tell the good at the end of the rede is worth the trip!

Guy
                            Day 31 AF
                            "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

First timer

PS..the online chat room is a great place to hang out at night to keep your mind off of cravings! Lots of support and lots of laughs with similar people in similar shoes from all over the World! It has been a great tool for me!
                              "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Working...
                              X