• Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, this Not Being Able To Fall Asleep part

really stinks! I'm exhausted!

StaceBabe,

Boy do all of us know about this.

There has been many posts about it and lots of advice.

Some say Valerian, some say Melatonin (me 6 mg), some say go to the doctor and get something (I also did this, Trazadone was prescribed), there are a lot of words of advice.

In a pinch, you can try Benadryl. You will probably wake up groggy but it usually works.

The good news is, this gets better and better.

I seldom have to take anything at all, now. I sleep a full 8 hours, which is something I never did whilst drinking and I wake up refreshed unlike the last 30 years of drinking.

Who'da thought??

Get through the early days as best you can and try some of the above or whatever others who post to this might suggest.

Whatever you do, hang in there. You don't want to have to do this again. No way!!

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Stace,

On the OTC options, avoid anything with Tylenol in it.

Tylenol on an alkie's liver is very dangerous.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

How many 300 mcg melatonin tabs should a person start off with? Also how long does it take melatonin to kick in?

Comment

Holden,

In rehab they told me the "magic" number seemed to be 6 mg, assuming 300 mcg is 3 mg (please double check for safey's sake), then 2 300 mcg tablets.

They usually take about 30 minutes to hit.

I did find, however, that days 1-5, something stronger was needed.

Hope this helps.
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I have the drops and I think 1 dropper is 1 mL which is 300mg and that is the dosage. They recommend taking it about half an hour before bed, but I took it after I had already gone to bed last night, super tired but not sleeping and within about 15 minutes I felt myself getting kinda dopey and I think I fell asleep (don't remember, which I guess is a good thing!)

Comment

I assumed mcg meant microgram and not mg as milligram.

Comment

Melatonin - usual dose here in the US is 3mg per tablet. 1 tablet is a normal dose. If I wake up at 2am, I'll take a second then.

Valerian, Unisom, Benadryl, will all work. Don't stack them. And don't drink a lot after taking them. Remember that's how Marilyn Monroe and Heath Ledger died.

For the last three years my method of going to sleep was to have at least 2 strong stiff drinks. It worked, but the type of sleep that is induced is not the same as true sleep. It doesn't allow proper REM sleep which is why you wake up exhausted.

I've read that because I was doing it every day, my body got out of the habit of actually "doing sleep". I lost the ability to naturally shut down, and when I woke up, to get back to sleep.

Also, the side-effects of being AF are pretty severe, as your body adjusts to your natural process of producing hormones and enzymes needed for daily life. So count on sleepless nights, or at least restless nights for days 2-5 or so. It should get better after that.

Comment

Holden,

Melatonin Side Effects - Melatonin Facts

This link might help.

Otherwise, Google and read. There does seem to be some controversy about the dosage for Melatonin.

You might want to try as small a dose as possible first and then add only if you need to.

I took 6 mg tonight and am getting sleepy already. It took about 15 minutes.

However, I also take Melatonin for my Cluster Headache symptoms as it is supposed to help with those.

Night all!!
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I can *stay* asleep - it's just getting there that's so hard!! I'll run to the pharmacy today and get some Tylenol PM or something.

Wally22;400191 wrote: Not being able to fall asleep was my excuse to drink at night in the first place!
                    Seriously, I think everyone suffers from that in the beginning.
                    I personally take a sleeping pill, prescribed by the doctor. The last few nights, I haven't needed to take it. I experimented on the weekend.
                    When I was taking it, I woke up with cotton mouth and felt a little groggy.
                    I also HAD to take it. Some nights I would decide not to take it, then I would lie there and not sleep, and toss and turn and by the time I took it , it was way too late, and either I took it and couldn't get up in the morning, or didn't take it and got no sleep and couldn't get up in the morning.
                    I can tell now the nights when I am so tired, and I lay down, and WAKE up, that I am going to need the pill that night, and don't bother fighting it.
                    Just my two cents worth.
                    Others have had good luck with melatonin and valerian.
                    Hope this helps...there are some OTC sleep aids as well, talk to your pharamacist. You don't have to tell him/her about the alcohol thing.

Comment

Really? OK, I'll try and find something else.

Cinders;400193 wrote: Stace,

On the OTC options, avoid anything with Tylenol in it.

Tylenol on an alkie's liver is very dangerous.

Cindi

Comment

I've never had too much trouble sleeping, but now I fall asleep right away and sleep like a rock almost always. I do still take a "True Calm" before bed. It has valerian root in it. I got it here. Also the hypnosis cds are very relaxing, or try listening to some meditation music at bedtime.
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                        X