How do you start drinking less ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been on here a few days now, and I have found all the posts /advice very helpful .

One question:
    Is there a group on here who are looking to 'cut down' rather than go AF?

I drink one and a half bottles of wine a night (maximum) , and want to cut down, but self control is seriously lacking.

I have tried buying smaller glasses/ watering them down, and drinking slowly but somehow I still end up drinking the same amount.

I would love to have a group of fellow winos that can talk together/ encourage each other to cut down ?

Anyone like me out there ??
    xxx:new:
    :new:

Hi Flower - I think a lot of us would like to be able to moderate, but it's not easy - for me I found that only buying in what I intend to drink for that day works, e.g. 2 beers. I also find having a time of complete abstaination works well too. I'm doing a period of abstainance at the moment (on Day 5 of 30), felt my so-called moderation was slipping a bit. I was managing just 2 beers a night (which is better than several beers and half a bottle of vodka nearly every night before my previous abstaination of 40 days) but on a few occasions lately it was becoming 5-7 beers. Thought I'd better sort it quick.
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hi, Flower. You really ought to read the MWO book to get an idea about how this program works. For most people, a goal of moderate drinking is not a realistic choice UNTIL one has achieved a good sustained period of sobriety (AF, or alcohol-free). Many people here are struggling, and succeeding, in reaching 30 or 60 days of sobriety, and many decide that an AF lifestyle is best for them. Others are working hard on a goal of moderate drinking. Either way, you would do well to start out by reading the book.

If you decide you are interested in the MWO program, you will find a lot of great support and information here!

Welcome!

wip

Comment

I agree with the above posts - but it's okay to have the goal of modding. I would guess MOST of us here were attracted to this site because of the idea of MODDING! What many of us learn is that there comes a point in our drinking ... that that option has been taken away. But for others, if they get here before that deep need for AL takes over their body and life - there is great success in modding for some. But I agree, you must read the book. It really hits what modding "looks" like. Modding is NOT iron fist moderating ... if you have to white knuckle it ... THAT's NOT modding! Taking it or leaving it without a second thought is modding. RJ uses "butter" as an example in her book. I LOVE the analogy - as I just can't think of alcohol as "butter". I think of AL as "MY DRUG >>> I WANT MY DRUGS" :H So I am a NON-DRINKER.

Best to you!!

Liv
        8 Months 5 days AF :h
        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

I also completely agree with the others. Reading the book is very important no matter what! It provides valuable information whether you want to get to a point of modding or go AF. You will hear a lot here about "Modding", many without success, but there are some that are successful.

I too came here with the idea that I could "learn" to mod, that it was only an issue of self control and tricking myself into drinking less. I tried it all, smaller glasses, buying only one bottle of wine at a time, drinking spritzers instead of wine straight.....etc. Then I decided to go by the book and do 30 days AF. That first time going for 30 days, I decided it was safe for me to mod....Wrong!! I learned a huge lesson for myself. I cannot MOD....like Liv, if I have one I want the bottle and will drink the bottle....it is a drug to me. I also want to say that at a little over 8 months living life as a non-drinker, I am happy and healthy and I would not MOD today even if, I could do it safely......I simply do not want alcohol!!
          And.....I still can hardly believe that I feel this way!

Best Wishes, Read the Book!
          Kate
          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
          X