Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start?

Hi,
    I?m Ed. This is my first post. This is my 5th day without beer, and I?m really craving it.
    I didn?t start drinking regularly until my early 30s (I?m 55 now). I never drank during the day, and I almost always drank alone. Before I knew it I was up to a 12 pack every night, and sometimes more.
    I tried to cut back several times, but I seem to lack the "moderation bone". I don?t know if I was born without it or I some how eroded it over the years, but after my 2nd beer all thoughts of stopping go away.

I love the buzz of the first few drinks, but I?m tired of being drunk every night. My wife, who grew up with an alcoholic father, doesn?t drink, and is becoming more and more concerned about my health. I decided to try and stop drinking.
    In the past I had stopped several times, for various reasons, for 24 hours without any problem. This time the first 24 went fine, I hardly missed it. The next morning I felt kind fo groggy, almost hungover. I thought maybe I just didn?t sleep as well as I thought I had, but as the day went on it got worse, almost as if I were drunk. It began to scare the spit out of me. I went on the internet and found that I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms and that it?s recommended that someone who drinks a lot regularly should see a doctor before quitting suddenly.
    I went to the clinic and the doc put me on librium to help with the withdrawal symptoms. I do not like librium. I made me feel drunk without the fun, and I still had the craving. When drink I only drink at night. This stuff made me feel drunk and sleepy 24-7.
    I came across the MWO web site while look for help. It looks very promising. So I guess my next step is to order the book.
    One question. I need to do this on the cheep. I want to start shopping for a pharmacy that has the best price on Topamax. What is the prescribed dosage?
    I am very glad to have found an online support group. I think this just might work.
    Whih me luck.
    EZ Ed
    Life is a series of compromises, between a longevity not worth living, and a
    hedonism not worth dying for.

Where to start?

Hi Ed and Welcome,
    I am new here also. If you get can your doc to prescribe the Topomax that will be the cheapest is your ins. covers it. So far the support here has been great. The supplements reccomended in the book help too.
    Best of luck to you and keep posting.

Comment

Where to start?

Well, let me be the first to welcome you onboard
      Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Where to start?

Order the book and read and post...that would be my best advice
        Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Where to start?

Welcome! The book has dosages. Topo is not required, although I would encourage you to read a lot of posts to see what other people recommend from personal experience.

Days 2-5 AF are the worst. Your sleep is terrible, and you'll be very low energy, and low mood. After that it gets better.

The good news is that it gets A LOT better. You'll be amazed to find the energy you thought was lost to "old age". It wasn't. Your beer drank your energy and laughed at you.

Good luck, and we're all going through this together. Let's find the strength to enter the next phase of our lives.

Comment

Where to start?

Hi Ed, As stated already the book is the best place to start. As is really considering getting the supplements as they will help with the withdrawl symptoms and repair your body...they also help with cravings. I was able to become Alcohol Free withou the topa by using supps/cds/book and this sight. Welcome and let us know how you are doing.. and enough can not be said about drinking water with lemon!!!
            workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Where to start?

I was one of those folks that did not want to go to AA or anything that had to do with facing people as this was my first cry out for help. I am not embaressed however it is difficult for me as i am sure it is the same for those who do not recognize themselves any longer. What i mean by that, is not only physical but also emotional. For instance, this is my second day and i have been in a mood swing rollercoaster ride completely foreign to me. i get kinda testy and on the offensive with people (when in reality there is NO reason for this) maybe this is part of the withdrawal stage. i will have to control the tantrums because i need to fix me for the long run and dont want to be rude to others especially those i love. sorry i am rambling on about this. i think i am learning about myself even on this road to sobriety. we are there for each other and that really helps. i think this is a great place to start especially for those like myself who have a hard time being open with it. i can be honest here. and thats very important to me. i dont want to half ass this.

also, i am eagerly waiting my book to arrive!

Congratulations on taking the first step to sucess and true happines. :welcome:
              sigpicMili

Comment

Where to start?

Hi Ed. I'm Joe. You sound just like me. only my poison is wine. A few weeks ago I managed 6 days with out drinking. but i didn't sleep the whole time. So I gave in to the cravings and the lack of sleep and drank every night since. It's like I'm back on square one.
                I wish you the success I'm still looking for..

Comment

Where to start?

Hey Ed, you have made a good start. Having a plan and coming here to read. I think you can download the book fairly cheaply. I don't know anything about topa but there is loads of info on this site. For my cravings the Kudzu and the lglutamine really work. So the book, the supplements, and using the online forum for support has been my way out. Its not easy but it is SO worthwhile.
                  Good luck!
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
                  X