Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I, Could I--have just one glass of wine with dinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all: I am on Day 6 AF (well, I did have 1 beer with grilled bratwurst, peppers and onions on Day 2--wasn't all that great), but tonight we're having stuffed flounder, fresh asparagus with hollandaise and roasted new potatoes. This meal is crying out for a nice, crisp, white wine. Can I drink just one glass? My goal is moderation. Since pairing wine or beer with meals seems more healthy than just "slinging it back," maybe it would be okay. What do you think? Kay

If it was me, I would'nt but then I would never be able to moderate. Only you can answer that question for yourself. I wish you luck Kay.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I feel that I can only moderate because I put in significant AF time. If it were me, I would not drink on day 6/7. Even if you are able to stop at one glass, you probably need to get alcohol out of your body and out of your life for awhile. After a week AF, the cravings get less but even one drink will bring them back to the surface. You are here because alcohol has been a problem for you. You still need to learn new habits.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Kay, is the meal crying out for a white wine, or is that an excuse you're fabricating in your head to justify a drink?

Not passing judgment - but I used to think up every excuse in the book to justify having 'just one.' If you can honestly tell yourself that you are just wanting one glass and feel completely in control then by all means go ahead. Just be honest with yourself.....
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

KTB, I tried that after my 30 days. The problem I discovered was once I had one my will power was relaxed and I eventually had another. Not the first time. I asked my therapist is I could ever have just one and she said this is a fantasy I keep having. She agreed that once in awhile I might be able to but in my case I think each time I just got worse. Only you will know. I find I'm just not wired for moderation. Good luck.

Comment

"Just not wired for moderation" Great way to put it, Kat20! Me either! There was no such thing just one for me. KTB, only you know the answer. Good luck, what ever you decide.
            "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Thanks everyone. You're probably all right in some way. Believe it or not I worked for a liquor distributor for six years and part of my job was to pair wines and beers with food!!! I probably won't risk it, but I'm still gonna make the meal. Club soda with lemon in a wine glass (how's that?). Kay

Comment

AAthlete, believe it or not, I have absolutely no craving for alcohol of any kind. There have been Sam Adams Boston Lagers in the fridge for over a week, and I have not even looked at them except to get one for my husband or move them out of the way. This would not have happened prior to MWO. I assure you they would have been gone in one day. That being said, the dinner will be just as good without the wine (well almost). Kay

Comment

When in doubt, choose AF. Once you have a distance between you and alcohol and can sort out that relationship with AL you will be more prepared to make those decisions-to take it or leave it. IMHO
                  Kriger
                  "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

I find one glass extremely frustrating, as it makes me want more. It's so much easier to just skip it than try to control it.
                    My two cents...best wishes to you!
                    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

River ... I'm with you ... I convince myself that one glass would be nice with the dinner, but that one disappears too fast, so then it's another with the meal.. and after that well, it's "got" me until the bottle is gone, and then I'll often open another... "since I'm drinking tonight anyway".

Comment

KTB, First of all....I have no idea what your drinking history has been? I do know that for most of us, "moderation" has nothing to do with "Will Power". Alcoholism is a chemical reaction in the body, some call it a disease. For me, no matter how much time AF, I never want to have even one drink again! I never want to start that whole chain reaction thing again, it is simply not worth it!

As everyone else has said, only you know what is truly right for you. I highly reconmend that you read the book!

Good Luck!
                        Kate
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Oh KTB....No! if you have no craving, please don't cave! I love the idea of club soda with lemon or lime in the wine glass....classy but w/o the booze! There is no need for it, none!

Your dinner sounds great! Want to come over and cook for me and my family? I mixed Hawaiian punch and diet cherry 7-up the other night and put it in a fancy glass....it was awesome! (felt like I was cheating, but I wasn't)

Best Wishes and hugs,
                          Bambi
                          "When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." -- Walt Disney

Comment

I used to believe every quality meal needed good wine.
                            Roasted lamb without a red seemed strange for me initially. It's only force of habit however.
                            Try having an expensive imported sparkling water as your accompaning treat instead. It has a great cleansing effect on the palate, & top restaurants usually provide it with meals.

Also depends if your goal is abstaining or moderation, but I would suggest putting in some serious distance before attempting moderation. Otherwise, you may not see the many & unexpected benefits.

Day 80 today.

Comment

When in doubt, choose AF. Once you have a distance between you and alcohol and can sort out that relationship with AL you will be more prepared to make those decisions-to take it or leave it. IMHO
                              Kriger
                              That is VERY wise advice Kriger. I think I also need to use it with my relationship with some people. Thank you !!
                              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X