Can anyone share their insight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all. I was here yesterday, but I drank last night. We went to my Dad's house for a BBQ, and we all drink there. My husbands working nights now, so I'll be home with the kids and not drinking is a lot easier here. I hate that I went all day yesterday feeling so strong and cracked so easy. My dad's house is a hot spot for me drinking. I kind of knew I was going to cave. I really do want to quit. I read someone say they take topomax and can't drink when they use it. I would really like to hear about it. I'm to the point I'm ready to go talk to my dr. and see what she says. I really want to stop drinking before it gets me in trouble. Someone has a saying at the bottom of their post that says you only fail if you stop trying..(or close to that)...I love that.
    Thanks for letting me share. Anyones thoughts would be helpful.
    MM

Hi MM,

It's not that you can't drink on Topa....just lessens the cravings. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, this is a very difficult journey with a lot of ups and downs. I wish you lots of luck
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Its not Topomax, but Antabuse. I take it and it is very important to understand the effects if you take AL.

Talking to your Dr. is a great start. I am on Antabuse and it has been a wonder drug for me.
      Happy to be AF Since 9.13.08

Comment

its true,if you stop trying how can you get better,im not on meds and where i went and you dont want to go there they ween you off of meds,im not saying meds arent good,but a very hi percentage use well taking them i id on valuum, which is also known as diasapam,one of the harshest meds you can have,a lot of people dont realise if your drinking rather then stopping which a lot can do without side effects,can be detromental to the health like strokes heart attacks and even death,there is nothing wrong with like a lot do here a month a week and see how u feel,i again stopped for 10 months but mind over matter started modeately for the 1st time in 37 years ,do i want to keep drinking yes as long as i keep it under grips i hope this helps gyco

Comment

Thanks, you guys. Right now I have 4 beers in the laundry room. I'm gonna go pour them out so I don't get tempted. I feel really strong right now, but if they're there tommorro I'll probably drink them and end up getting more. I know me to well. I'm gonna talk to my dr. this week. I live in such a small town and I'm scared people will start talking about me though. It seems everyone knows everyone here, but whatever. I'm at the point i don't even care if people talk.

Comment

Hi MM,
            YOu can get throuogh this terrible thing. Not sure what your poison is but have you tried the alcohol free wine or beer. I am a Pino Grigio drinker or was 5 days ago in the past I have tried the AL free kind. It is not good but maybe just feeling like you have something to sip on when you are in that enviroment would help...personally I would rather not have anything because I do not care for the taste. Have you tried puttng the L-glute under yur tonge when you get a craving? I just heard about that and it is supposed to help too. Good luck and keep trying and posting.
            HW

Comment

5 days, thats great. I've tried the odouls beer, but I drink for the buzz. My butt would probably drink 2 cases of it just for a tiny buzz..lol.. What is L-glute and where do I get it?
              MM

Comment

Gyco, thanks for your post. I would love to drink moderately, but I can't. My hubby can, and I'm so jealous. I hope it goes good for you. I'm not big on taking pills..even aspirin, but if it will help I could go for it. Honestly, I only want to stop drinking until my kids grow up and move out. If I still want to drink after that then I probably will. But that's way in the future.
                MM

Comment

It is a supplement L-glutamine. You can get it on this website at the health store or at any health store like GNC (not sure where you live). Some grocery stores will sell it too. Just make sure you get a capsule so you can open it and pour out the powder under your tongue. The strength from the ones on this site are 1000 mg and I was told to use 1-2 at a time. Good luck!!!

Comment

Thanks helpwanted!!!

Comment

sure thing, Keep me posted and let me know how you do. I understnd about the kids, I have 2 out of the house and an 11 year old at home and if he sees me drink he gets very upset. Feel free to send me a personal message any time too.

Comment

Working...
                      X