Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first post:)

Hi Everyone,

I have been enjoying reading everyone's posts for awhile now. This site has made me feel less anger towards myself and more settled to know that I am not alone.

I am 36 years of age, married, a mother and manage a business.
    I am looking for others that are wanting to control/moderate their drinking behaviour. I hope that I can learn to moderate but I do realize that this my not be an option for me and that I may have to not drink at all. I know that I have a problem with AL. Noone has needed to bring it to my attention. Recently, I have started blacking out and have had a hard time with my "shut-off" valve. I am looking for a way to change. I have gained 12lbs. over the last couple of years and have had a vicous cycle of being depressed about that and drinking to make me forget about it. Alcoholism runs in my blood. Ironically, I grew up in a alcohol free environment. My mother has never drank AL and my father was sober long before I came into the picture. Sometimes I think that that is why I went so hard towards the booze as a teenager - I had no experience or information about using AL responsibly (except for the AA meetings that I went to as a kid with my parents???). I grew up thinking that a person was either an alcoholic or did not drink (how nice it is of me to blame my parents?). Anyway, I apologize for the rabbiling. I do have a lot of issues but it is best if I save them for later. Thanks for reading:new:
    awprint:

My first post

Lucky girl, Your at the right place . Their are all types here. Moderates, AF. You'll find your place..... We all try to help each other out. Welcome ! IAD.
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

My first post

Welcome Luckygirl! I'm battling it out over on the AF Army Thread - feel free to join us. Also, if you've not downloaded Roberta's book yet - that's a good place to start.
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

My first post

Welcome from me too Luckygirl ! :welcome:

I think it's safe to say the we all arrived here with alot of confusion and worry about alcohol :upset:. Just keep reading and posting and let us get to know you! This is a great place to start to work on things. Glad you jumped in and .... Good to meetcha!

ww xox

Comment

My first post

Hey! Welcome!!! Drink problems run in my family, i've been brought up around LOTS of drink and i hate what is does to my family YET here i am with a drinking problem. I don't think any of us can really pin point why we have drinking problems, it's just something we have to accept and work on.
          Everyone on this site is sooo amazing and supportive. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the people on this site so i know we'll give you all the support you need. We're all here for you. Ramble as much as you want, it's great! Keep posting and stay strong!!!! Look forward to talking to you soon.

Comment

My first post

Hey Lucky, good to meet you
            pop across to the AF Army thread and keep us company while we march!
            I started off AF in september but had a couple of slips and now im right back in line again.
            ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

My first post

Welcome LG.

I don't think upbringing has much to do with it. I would fault my parents for giving me TOO MUCH AL as I grew up. A little wine when I was 11 or 12 maybe 2-3 times a year. When I turned 18 I drank wine almost every day (Drinking age was 18 back then).

No. The issue came much later, because my body changed, and my maturity changed, and I just got to be "too good" at it. I think we all did.

Read what others post. This site has helped me grow more in two months than I did in 20 years. I too feared being AF. "How will I ever feel good again?" "How will I be able to celebrate my anniversary/nieces wedding/a wake without wine?"

Being AF is like getting a mother in law. You don't have any choice, so just make the best of it.

BTW- My Mother in law smokes, drinks and gambles. My spouse's Sister, on the other hand, broke with the family and returned to Mormon roots, had eight children all now grown and there's about eight grand-nieces and nephews so far. So between the smoking/gambling side and the huge Mormon clan, and no, they don't talk to each other, my spouse should have come with a warning card! Haha.

Comment

My first post

Luckygirl,

:hello2:

&

:colorwelcome:

It is good that you acknowledge your need to make positive changes regarding alcohol, now, while you are young. Read alot, post alot, read the book, learn about the suppliments, consider the CD's. You are surrounded here by people who will support but never judge you. Glad you joined us! :h
                "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

My first post

:hello2::wave::groupluv:
                  :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                  best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

My first post

Welcome LuckyGirl

Glad you have found us

I had an upbringing where nobody drank to excess- both parents were very occasional drinkers and never made an issue of it, but I just made a beeline for it when I was around 14.
                    No reason really- just a rebellious personality I guess.

Hope you stick around

Comment

My first post

Hello Luckygirl and:welcome:
                      You have already received some great advice. I have nothing to add, but just wanted to welcome you.
                      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

My first post

Welcome Lucky,
                        This is a great site! I think the best thing to do is go AF for 30 days and then decide. I am on day 11 today. Good luck and keep oosting.
                        HW

Comment

My first post

my dear young lady,and i stress young,hahaha,i drank for 37 years,off and on,but until last year i did not no why,i ended in a sanitatium,health facility as they like to call it today,and dont feel sorry for me,it was good for me,i was dying,if not for what i lerned,i mite not be the person i am today,i mt be dead,its a depressent,BUT,even going there i have to lern more, beleive it or not,it is like cancer,you inherit it,maybe not the 1st generation,but maybe the 2nd or 3rd,and capowy,yung lady you are in the rt spot,lots of no how,but my dear stik around and trust me ,WE WILL HELP THE BEST WE CAN,gyco

Comment

My first post

Welcome Luckygirl!

Like you I came to the point where I needed to think about whether I needed to go for moderation or no AL at all. I went through that too as have many others here, and so many of them have generously shared the wisdom of their experiences with me! It's a great support and I hope you'll keep on coming back.

Comment

Working...
                            X