THE PROMISES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE PROMISES

I realize that not everyone is into AA, but I find these promises to be uplifting and inspirational, and I feel that they apply to all of us.

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us--sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. The will always materialize if we work for them.

Big Book, fourth ed. p.84
    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

THE PROMISES

Thanks for sharing that Sea - I love it!:l
    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

THE PROMISES

I think so too. I have marveled at the lack of panic I feel over a middle age divorce and unemployment at the same time. I know in my heart everything will be OK. People are saying "welcome back" to me.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

THE PROMISES

Sea, that is amazing and very true. I am nearly 3months af and I am finally feeling that peace that I sought through drugs and alcohol and never found. I am not so frightened and lost anymore either. That is not to say that I am never down or scared, just that I have times when I am not and I am SURE that if I keep working on myself I will have many many more of those times.
        Thank you for this Sea x
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

THE PROMISES

greeneyes;425189 wrote: I think so too. I have marveled at the lack of panic I feel over a middle age divorce and unemployment at the same time. I know in my heart everything will be OK. People are saying "welcome back" to me.
          Greenie, I have read some of your struggles and it has always amazed me how you are getting through it. I have been completely in awe of your progress. You are such a brave lady and I am so impressed with you.
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

THE PROMISES

... SELF PITY WILL SLIP AWAY ... i like that. AA works for me..

Time for a pic..

This is how they teach you how to drink at AA.. Attached files [img]/converted_files/639836=4099-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

THE PROMISES

so true sea and thank you
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

THE PROMISES

Thanks sea so bloody true !!!!!!!
                Love ya dearly sweet heart
                Cap

Comment

THE PROMISES

Good words this morning!
                  "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

THE PROMISES

Seacailin;425180 wrote: I realize that not everyone is into AA, but I find these promises to be uplifting and inspirational, and I feel that they apply to all of us.

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us--sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. The will always materialize if we work for them.

Big Book, fourth ed. p.84
                    Thank you for posting that. I needed to read that!
                    sigpicMili

Comment

THE PROMISES

Sea,
                      That was really uplighting for me....thanks for the post!!
                      "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

THE PROMISES

Thanks for that Sea- very uplifting.

Comment

THE PROMISES

I JUST walked in the door from a meeting and I gotta tell ya, I'm totally wired from the coffee. There was tons of donuts there to but I refrained as I'm still trying to shed a few pounds. Those people are so positive in thier outlooks on life. It is inspiring to hear them talk. Everyone seems genuinely glad to see me there as well. If I accidentally find god by going to meetings so be it. But for now I just take comfort that I am not alone in this and for one hour I get to get out of my own head and be surrounded by happy people. It's day 8 for me and things are steadily getting better. I went to a party with friends of mine and their families yesterday accompanied by my husband (who 3 days ago I was sure would never accompany me anywhere ever again). There were 7 adults there. My husband and I did not drink and between everyone else 3 beers and 1 bottle of wine was consumed in a little more than four hours. Incredible. What must it be like to not be addicted to alcohol. It was a relief to not be drinking and just fit in with everyone. I didn't say or do anything scandalous or forward and I didn't suck down all the alcohol the host had in the house.
                          Anyway, so far AA has been a postive experience for this little athiest. Have a great day.

Comment

Working...
                          X