New to My Way Out...Old Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I was online at Barnes and Noble looking for something, ANYTHING, on alcoholism and quitting drinking. This book by Roberta Jewell came up and I thought, "why not". I'm so glad it did. I am on Day 3 of Program. Only on 25 of Topamax and already a little cranky and already a little weepy. I am feeling guilty as I approached my doctor several months ago and he wouldn't talk with me about using the supplement Topamax so I'm going it alone. Afraid to tell him. So I will get my support here. Has everyone checked in with their doctor?

My drug of choice is Chardonnay. I divorced about thirteen years ago, drank my way through it, and only escalated through the years, even though I remarried and am in a wonderful relationship. I don't want to blow it. I have many responsibilities to include work, (2 jobs) in the health care field, five grandchildren, two dogs, good family relations, much to live for.

Just wondering who has sought partnerships with their doctors? Also, how is the Topamax working? I hope I can use it, as I really do need the support and obviously, going it alone hasn't worked wonders for me.

Good to be part of the group. I would love to hear all about your progress, your pitfalls, and perhaps we do babysteps together.

Welcome Hope, day 29 for me! A very active thread here is the AF Army Thread, feel free to join us! Don't feel obliged of course!
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hello and :welcome: Hope
      I am so glad that you are here. This is a fabulous program. Congrats on Day 3. My doc did not want to give me the Topa either. She had no knowledge of it's use in alcoholism. I am going to approach the subject again at my next appointment. Look forward to getting to know you.
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

A very warm welcome to you as well, Hope.

This is a wonderful place to just "be".

I understand this horrid battle and wish you all the best.
        :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

very nc name,HOPE, trust me you have found the rt spot,we have more know how then any encyclopedia you ve ever seen,or any doctor could ever give u ,unless he was like you or eye,lots of support here gyco ps i am on a day off hahaha bear with me im so xcited hahha gyco

Comment

I am on day two.

Encouraged to see that others have successfully taken this journey on and that, therefore, I am traveling through familiar waters and can seek guidance from those already skilled at navigating through the deep end (just read through the pool analogy posted by one of the more seasoned swimmers

Full steam ahead with keeping this big agreement (AF forever) with myself...and now, I suppose, also with some of you...

Comment

Welcome Hope,you will find allot of support here and so many others who know how you feel.There is great power in numbers of people working towards the same goal...You are not alone anymore.We can beat the beast, together..
              sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Welcome Hope and Taoist!

Glad you are here with us- there is loads of information to be found in different threads here, or if you are unsure, start a new one- always plenty of folk around to give advice.

:welcome:

Comment

HI there
                  I am new here too, and chardonnay also is my first choice. So far i've read the books, started the cd's which i'm not wild about but will stick with them. Gathering the supps. I've ordered topa; also scared because I am going it alone. Did I mention the kudzu? That actually seems to be helping as I've already cut back to about 2 glasses of wine a night. Lets keep talking, ok?
                  ts

Comment

Welcome!! The group of people on here have made my AF goals achievable. Its hard but we are not alone. We are here for you.
                    sigpicMili

Comment

Welcome Hope!
                      I'm at Day 23 of the program and doing Topa without a DR also. I'm at 75MG. Look up the Topa threads as there is much info on it if you don't have a DR to fall back on.

Chard is my poison as well and I have really cut back. And actually switched from Chard to a couple glasses of red instead. Yep, baby steps. And TONS of support here. You've found a great home to try and beat this thing.

Hang close!

Comment

Welcome Hope and Tao,
                        This is a wonderful site filled with caring, supportive people. Best wishes to each of you on your own personal journey to fight the BEAST! I look forward to getting to know both of you.
                        Kriger
                        "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Thanks for Support

Thanks for warm welcome, everybody.
                          Feel as if we all want the same thing.
                          I went to a party last night and had two of those tiny little bottles of chardonnay. I used to go grocery shopping at Safeway and down one of them in the store before I checked out!
                          Grocery clerk always gave me funny looks, asked me if I knew it was empty. I said Yes I knew. I thought it was kinda funny actually, but then realized I couldn't wait to grocery shop after work to have a drink of my beloved chardonnay, that could be an issue!

Will be checking in most frequently. Thanks to all of you for being honest here with me.

Comment

Working...
                          X