Gaining Traction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaining Traction

For me, the most compelling task has been to research this "thing" we all keep talking about. I don't believe anything until it all makes sense to me. And once it makes sense, I get a better idea of what to address, and what to expect.

Here's my notes. It got rather long; 11 pages now, so I've pdf'd and posted it.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/t81snedyvi.pdf

Thanks to WIP for sharing some great notes about Alcohol and other addictions as learned behaviors, the role of Dopamine, and some really interesting stuff about "relapses" which I hope to build into a new document on Moderation when I get there.

Gaining Traction

Way to go, B.man!!! You're going to have to set up a book tour, one of these days!

Comment

Gaining Traction

Thanks for your help and support WIP. I'd rather the book tour be on some lighter topic. Thanks for your studies and the lecture. For gosh sakes, I think we can make flashcards out of those advanced case phostos and scare everyone sober in a matter of minutes!

Comment

Gaining Traction

Thanks for the information!
        "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Gaining Traction

Thank you! Great Stuff Bossman- I find your posts really interesting and it is very useful to have everything condensed into one document.

Comment

Gaining Traction

Good work Boss! Found your research to be full of insight. Reading "Stroke of Insight" right now about a neuroanatomist's (brain PhD) stroke. Chapters 2 and 3 are all about how the brain works. Fit right in with your piece, however she went more into the right and left hemispheres of the cerebral cortex. I'm curious - knowing what you know now about the science of drinking, how does that help you in your journey away from dependence?

Vera-b

Comment

Gaining Traction

vera-b;453127 wrote: I'm curious - knowing what you know now about the science of drinking, how does that help you in your journey away from dependence?
              I think it's there in the charts. Many people drink alcohol, only some people become alcohol dependent. In learning to know the signs of dependency, specific physical symptoms that indicate dependency, then one can reshape your own habits to recognize it in yourself.

I'm also struck by the commitment needed. RJ mentions commitment as do many of the AL books. But in my three months of struggles, that's what I would say was the missing piece. You can buy CD's, supps, and books. But the commitment required to face your stresses, worries, and random events without your "security blanket" can only come from inside.

Comment

Gaining Traction

Boss.man, thanks for the info.
                I love your research posts, I find them easy to understand and relate to:-)
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Gaining Traction

Hey bossman. It's me!

I just wanted to thank you soo much! You've really helped me through this nightmare and i've nearly hit my 30 day target. I too need facts to understand why these things happen and it helps me understand my body and helps me to understand how i need to just let my body adjust to the changes. You're such a great information source!

Comment

Gaining Traction

You're right, Bossman - COMMITMENT is the Only way.

One would think Desire would be enough... but it's not. I WANT to quit smoking, but I haven't (yet) found the Commitment level to do it. With both drinking & smoking, I think what leads to that commitment is anger/disgust at yourself and whatever it is that controls your life.

You have to get Really angry at the Beast, not just "miffed"!
                    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                    X