This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool box

This site is confusing to me. I don't know where to go to ask which works the best and has fewest side effects, Topamax or Baclofen. I have the L-glutamine, Kudzu, and stuff for brain repair, but evidently need the CD's and medication plus ???? Can someone tell me where to start?

Comment

Tool box

Hi again JBB! Here's the post I sent a few days ago. It has links to the Meds threads and the Nest, which is a great place to start out.

Hi JBB! Welcome to MWO! Can you tell us a little about your drinking history? There is a starter package you can order from the store on this site that some have found helpful. Shipping takes a while, so I chose to get the same sups but just from my local store.

If it's actual meds you're looking for, I suggest that you check in on the meds board here. I am on Antabuse and it has worked wonderfully for me. I also did not want anything on my medical record. I spoke with my Dr, "off-the-record" and let him know what I was doing. He was very supportive about it. I'm not on any other meds, though, so I definitely suggest you get some off the record advice about mixing meds. I'm not sure where you are located, but here in the States you can go into a Pharmacy and speak to a Pharmacist about meds interactions and they don't even have to know your name.

Also check into the Newbie's Nest for wonderful caring support nearly 24/7. It's a great place to be and to tell your story.
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Tool box

Hi again JBB! Here's the post I sent a few days ago. It has links to the Meds threads and the Nest, which is a great place to start out.

Hi JBB! Welcome to MWO! Can you tell us a little about your drinking history? There is a starter package you can order from the store on this site that some have found helpful. Shipping takes a while, so I chose to get the same sups but just from my local store.

If it's actual meds you're looking for, I suggest that you check in on the meds board here. I am on Antabuse and it has worked wonderfully for me. I also did not want anything on my medical record. I spoke with my Dr, "off-the-record" and let him know what I was doing. He was very supportive about it. I'm not on any other meds, though, so I definitely suggest you get some off the record advice about mixing meds. I'm not sure where you are located, but here in the States you can go into a Pharmacy and speak to a Pharmacist about meds interactions and they don't even have to know your name.

Also check into the Newbie's Nest for wonderful caring support nearly 24/7. It's a great place to be and to tell your story.
        Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Tool box

Link to the TV Program, INTERVENTION

Intervention - Episodes, Video & Schedule - aetv.com

Comment

Tool box

Link to the TV Program, INTERVENTION

Intervention - Episodes, Video & Schedule - aetv.com

Comment

Tool box

I'm a newby to being AF and to blogging in forums. I've been reading posts and the best advice that I've read is to say "I don't drink" when I have cravings. It's been 7 days and you betcha I'm counting. Lol

Comment

Tool box

I'm a newby to being AF and to blogging in forums. I've been reading posts and the best advice that I've read is to say "I don't drink" when I have cravings. It's been 7 days and you betcha I'm counting. Lol

Comment

Tool box

Sharonalee;1519154 wrote: I'm a newby to being AF and to blogging in forums. I've been reading posts and the best advice that I've read is to say "I don't drink" when I have cravings. It's been 7 days and you betcha I'm counting. Lol
                  Welcome, Sharonalee

Hey, if you head over to the Newbies Nest (link below), you'll already have earned a prize for your 7 days. There is also a NN Roll Call where you can post your days for the MWO world to see - it is very motivating!!

Please post in the nest and introduce yourself and if you haven't already, read back a couple weeks and get to know the people who are actively posting there. It is a great place to hang out for support and the occasional push when we need it.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Comment

Tool box

Sharonalee;1519154 wrote: I'm a newby to being AF and to blogging in forums. I've been reading posts and the best advice that I've read is to say "I don't drink" when I have cravings. It's been 7 days and you betcha I'm counting. Lol
                    Welcome, Sharonalee

Hey, if you head over to the Newbies Nest (link below), you'll already have earned a prize for your 7 days. There is also a NN Roll Call where you can post your days for the MWO world to see - it is very motivating!!

Please post in the nest and introduce yourself and if you haven't already, read back a couple weeks and get to know the people who are actively posting there. It is a great place to hang out for support and the occasional push when we need it.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Comment

Tool box

Hello everyone, I found some inspiration quotes - hope they help...

Drunkenness is nothing but voluntary madness.
                      Seneca the Younger

One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time.
                      Nancy Astor

Water is the only drink for a wise man.
                      Henry David Thoreau

If you need an excuse for why you don't drink alcohol, you could say that addiction runs in your family and you don't want to try it even once because you may not stop until you are dead in a puddle of your own vomit or smashed into the side of a mini-van with children's body parts scattered around your corpse.
                      Duane Alan Hahn

Fun without challenge, without inner satisfaction, often comes from surrogate motivators influencing one's actions and perceptions. More often than not, something like this is considered 'fun' because it is a lack of 'pain,' be it social, physical, or psychological pain. For example, if you are programmed with social expectations that drinking and partying are key steps in securing one's self-worth, and that not having a bar life makes one lame and unaccepted, then one can squander away much of life in a drunken stupor, blissfully thinking all is fun with this programmed lifestyle.
                      Montalk

First the man takes a drink; then the drink takes a drink; then the drink takes the man.
                      Japanese Proverb

If you've ever taken alcohol into your body, you have very little will to live. The body was not meant to intake alcohol. It impairs the mind.
                      God from Conversations with God (Book 1) through Neale Donald Walsch (adapted)

There's no time, I don't care what happens, that drinking makes anything better. It never makes anything better. It always makes it worse and drinking always makes any event seem a hundred times worse than it actually is.
                      Don Imus on Imus in the Morning (October 24, 2011)

Wine hath drowned more men than the sea.
                      Thomas Fuller

Is "all things in moderation" your motto? Really? Razorblade to your wrist in moderation? Slam your penis in a car door in moderation? Salad fork plunged into your eye in moderation? I don't follow that old, tired saying. It's too easy to become an alcoholic. Too easy to believe that you need a drink to cope, especially when movies and TV shows like Bewitched pounded the "I need a drink" catchphrase into our brains since childhood.
                      Duane Alan Hahn

We make a ladder for ourselves out of our vices when we trample them.
                      St. Augustine

I wish you all the greatest success in your life journey to be AF.
                      Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Tool box

Hello everyone, I found some inspiration quotes - hope they help...

Drunkenness is nothing but voluntary madness.
                        Seneca the Younger

One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time.
                        Nancy Astor

Water is the only drink for a wise man.
                        Henry David Thoreau

If you need an excuse for why you don't drink alcohol, you could say that addiction runs in your family and you don't want to try it even once because you may not stop until you are dead in a puddle of your own vomit or smashed into the side of a mini-van with children's body parts scattered around your corpse.
                        Duane Alan Hahn

Fun without challenge, without inner satisfaction, often comes from surrogate motivators influencing one's actions and perceptions. More often than not, something like this is considered 'fun' because it is a lack of 'pain,' be it social, physical, or psychological pain. For example, if you are programmed with social expectations that drinking and partying are key steps in securing one's self-worth, and that not having a bar life makes one lame and unaccepted, then one can squander away much of life in a drunken stupor, blissfully thinking all is fun with this programmed lifestyle.
                        Montalk

First the man takes a drink; then the drink takes a drink; then the drink takes the man.
                        Japanese Proverb

If you've ever taken alcohol into your body, you have very little will to live. The body was not meant to intake alcohol. It impairs the mind.
                        God from Conversations with God (Book 1) through Neale Donald Walsch (adapted)

There's no time, I don't care what happens, that drinking makes anything better. It never makes anything better. It always makes it worse and drinking always makes any event seem a hundred times worse than it actually is.
                        Don Imus on Imus in the Morning (October 24, 2011)

Wine hath drowned more men than the sea.
                        Thomas Fuller

Is "all things in moderation" your motto? Really? Razorblade to your wrist in moderation? Slam your penis in a car door in moderation? Salad fork plunged into your eye in moderation? I don't follow that old, tired saying. It's too easy to become an alcoholic. Too easy to believe that you need a drink to cope, especially when movies and TV shows like Bewitched pounded the "I need a drink" catchphrase into our brains since childhood.
                        Duane Alan Hahn

We make a ladder for ourselves out of our vices when we trample them.
                        St. Augustine

I wish you all the greatest success in your life journey to be AF.
                        Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Tool box

Byrdlady;1492922 wrote: So you've done the 30 days AF!! But then a feeling of 'now what do I do?' sets in...it's a real LULL in your emotions and is difficult to explain. What I do know is that this is a natural stage in our progress. Everyone experiences it....I describe it below as progressing thru the stages of grief.

As I mentioned to a response to Allan yesterday in his thread....he'd reached his 30 day goal and then felt like a bride coming back from her honeymoon...NOW WHAT? I was explaining to him that breaking free of alcohol is, in effect, ending a relationship. And I mean a long-standing, hard-core, abusive, solid relationship. In essence you are going thru the 5 stages of grieving. Anger (what brought you here..."I'm SICK of this crazy life!"), Denial (Maybe I'm not all that bad! What was I thinking? Other people drink as much or MORE than I do' I think this is where the biggest Pity Party is thrown...it comes after the first 2 weeks and before day 30), BARGAINING ( why don't I try to moderate? Other people are able to do it...if I could just have one precious glass of _____ I'd be ok, THEN I'll get right back on track..), Depression (Is THIS all there is? Where are the balloons? Is this as good as it's ever going to get? ' Well shit...'.) and finally, acceptance. Let me tell you, this is where it's at. You finally are able to accept that, NO, you CANNOT drink ....AT ALL. Not one, not ever.....and you are ok with this. This is the stage where you can see AL for what it really is....a DRUG. Some people abuse drugs and some people don't. We do. Each stage in grieving is very important. Once you can see what is going on and that you aren't going crazy, it helps...at least it did for me. What you are going thru is the natural stages of loss. If you stay the course, I promise it will get better....I can also make a promise the other way, too....if we stay on the path we were on....well, you get the picture. I can assure you there will be a day where you don't even think about AL! As hard as it is now....it seems hard to believe. As hardcore as I was, I can now come to the end of an evening and think...I'll be dam, I didn't even think about it. THAT is amazing! You will get there...it just takes some time. Please hang in with us...you can do it! If I can do it, you can too!!! Byrdie
                          Is there some where I can save this? D'oh I guess I can just cut and paste it to my laptop right? I really feel like I'm going to need this in the near future thanks so much.
                          Newbies Nest
                          Toolbox
                          My accountability thread

Comment

Tool box

Byrdlady;1492922 wrote: So you've done the 30 days AF!! But then a feeling of 'now what do I do?' sets in...it's a real LULL in your emotions and is difficult to explain. What I do know is that this is a natural stage in our progress. Everyone experiences it....I describe it below as progressing thru the stages of grief.

As I mentioned to a response to Allan yesterday in his thread....he'd reached his 30 day goal and then felt like a bride coming back from her honeymoon...NOW WHAT? I was explaining to him that breaking free of alcohol is, in effect, ending a relationship. And I mean a long-standing, hard-core, abusive, solid relationship. In essence you are going thru the 5 stages of grieving. Anger (what brought you here..."I'm SICK of this crazy life!"), Denial (Maybe I'm not all that bad! What was I thinking? Other people drink as much or MORE than I do' I think this is where the biggest Pity Party is thrown...it comes after the first 2 weeks and before day 30), BARGAINING ( why don't I try to moderate? Other people are able to do it...if I could just have one precious glass of _____ I'd be ok, THEN I'll get right back on track..), Depression (Is THIS all there is? Where are the balloons? Is this as good as it's ever going to get? ' Well shit...'.) and finally, acceptance. Let me tell you, this is where it's at. You finally are able to accept that, NO, you CANNOT drink ....AT ALL. Not one, not ever.....and you are ok with this. This is the stage where you can see AL for what it really is....a DRUG. Some people abuse drugs and some people don't. We do. Each stage in grieving is very important. Once you can see what is going on and that you aren't going crazy, it helps...at least it did for me. What you are going thru is the natural stages of loss. If you stay the course, I promise it will get better....I can also make a promise the other way, too....if we stay on the path we were on....well, you get the picture. I can assure you there will be a day where you don't even think about AL! As hard as it is now....it seems hard to believe. As hardcore as I was, I can now come to the end of an evening and think...I'll be dam, I didn't even think about it. THAT is amazing! You will get there...it just takes some time. Please hang in with us...you can do it! If I can do it, you can too!!! Byrdie
                            Is there some where I can save this? D'oh I guess I can just cut and paste it to my laptop right? I really feel like I'm going to need this in the near future thanks so much.
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

Tool box

SAUSAGE;1310066 wrote: Today I'm on day 70 AF.
                              That's 10 whole weeks alcohol free!

One of the main benefits ive found is my thoughts are so much clearer and I am so much more positive in myself whereas before I was always a "glass half empty" type of person.

Those in the early stages, keep going, it does get so much easier.

In summary this is what I've found;

Days 1-4 are the hardest, stay busy, just do WHATEVER IT TAKES to remain AF. It won't always be this hard.

Days 5-7 are not easy but probably a little easier than days 1-4.
                              For some reason days 4 and 5 are really tough, a lot of people cave at this point - you see it all the time on here. Expect it and it won't de- rail you. Of course it's hard, nothing in life worth having is easy.

Day 8 onwards - it now does get a little easier - you were AF on this day last week too and this does make a huge psychological difference. You MAY be starting to see some health benefits.

Day 20 onwards - it should be considerably easier. You should DEFINITELY be seeing some benefits - physical, mental and financial! You will also be out of the daily routine of drinking.

1 month onwards - it should be better still. You cannot afford to be complacent, (you are still only a drink or so away from relapse) but thoughts of alcohol should be starting to take less prominence in your life.,You will still get the odd craving but you have now got used to dealing with them and it gets easier with every passing day / week. Just keep doing what you are already doing!

It is better to be AF with the occasional craving than a heavy drinker constantly craving to be AF.

Don't quit quitting before the miracles start happening.
                              Thanks I feel I have a much better grip on what to expect now!
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Tool box

SAUSAGE;1310066 wrote: Today I'm on day 70 AF.
                                That's 10 whole weeks alcohol free!

One of the main benefits ive found is my thoughts are so much clearer and I am so much more positive in myself whereas before I was always a "glass half empty" type of person.

Those in the early stages, keep going, it does get so much easier.

In summary this is what I've found;

Days 1-4 are the hardest, stay busy, just do WHATEVER IT TAKES to remain AF. It won't always be this hard.

Days 5-7 are not easy but probably a little easier than days 1-4.
                                For some reason days 4 and 5 are really tough, a lot of people cave at this point - you see it all the time on here. Expect it and it won't de- rail you. Of course it's hard, nothing in life worth having is easy.

Day 8 onwards - it now does get a little easier - you were AF on this day last week too and this does make a huge psychological difference. You MAY be starting to see some health benefits.

Day 20 onwards - it should be considerably easier. You should DEFINITELY be seeing some benefits - physical, mental and financial! You will also be out of the daily routine of drinking.

1 month onwards - it should be better still. You cannot afford to be complacent, (you are still only a drink or so away from relapse) but thoughts of alcohol should be starting to take less prominence in your life.,You will still get the odd craving but you have now got used to dealing with them and it gets easier with every passing day / week. Just keep doing what you are already doing!

It is better to be AF with the occasional craving than a heavy drinker constantly craving to be AF.

Don't quit quitting before the miracles start happening.
                                Thanks I feel I have a much better grip on what to expect now!
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X