Am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I?

Thanks again everyone, 7 days with no drink, well 8 if you include last Sunday trying to figure out what happened. For me, this is the easy part...I'll make it a few weeks and drink to celebrate. I'll keep posting and reading everyone's kind words and experiences:thanks:

Comment

Am I?

Hi.
      To be honest, i think if you're on this site you must be worried about your drinking whether you are or are not what you call an alcholic. I never had any withdrawal symptoms but i did have a drinking problem, just count yourself lucky you don't as they are HORRIBLE as many on this site will tell you!
      We're all in the same boat, i guess we all ask the same question. Well done for staying away from drink for 7 days. That is a GREAT start.
      keep posting, we're here for you.

Comment

Am I?

I have only drunk on a daily basis once in my life - I was unemployed and would drink after getting to the gym etc for the day.

Remainder of my history is 'binge' drinking. Yes it has affected my life and I have been in trouble with the law. I drunk-drove ONCE and caused a serious accident where luckily my last-minute reaction meant I was the only one to sustain serious damage.

I still have a struggle accepting I am an alcoholic. In the meantime I am static career-wise, with my studies and within my relationships.

I'm an attractive, young looking for my age, physically fit woman despite all of this. As a result acquaintances who aren't too close to me, alcohol workers and one or two work associates tell me I cannot possibly be alcoholic(?). I don't appear like the drunk on a bench. Perhaps that's because when I'm drinking I hide away from all of those people. I even resist visits from family and close friends in that state.

Sometimes it's difficult for someone to realise a drink problem. Especially if it isn't seeming to affect their daily life. Top-up drinkers often have such problems since they may never appear to be or feel completely smashed. Drinking at home, alone can also make it seem you aren't putting yourself in danger and you aren't in a situation where a fight with another person could happen. The affects of alcohol can be so, very subtle and denial can be extremely strong.

Apologies for any rambling but I'm in a similar place where it's a daily fight, and that is despite having had serious consequences in my life - as a result of alcohol consumption.

Comment

Am I?

Cori, the lying is also known as 'Denial' and is completely normal.

I too haven't tried the Antabuse, since I know if I want a drink I don't care about the consequences.

Comment

Am I?

wel cory welcome youve been met by some of our finest,the site is great,lots of opinions,but yet not all alchoholic,that is for you to figure out,i wish you well,when the going gets tuff,MWO is here to help hahaha gyco

Comment

Am I?

Cori;529768 wrote: Ok, so here I am again...:upset: We'll try it again I suppose...I hate myself when I drink because I dont remember anything. Hell, I could have died last night..I guess it was Saturday night. I just want to be normal
              there's so much good advice on this site. I am exactly the same as you. I dont think I'm technically an alcoholic because I dont have withdrawal, but I cant go a day without a drink even if I dont fancy one because I like how it makes me feel and eases lifes troubles, however, I know I have a serious drink problem because I often have blackouts and my drinking is effecting my family and those around me, good luck

Comment

Am I?

I too have more often than not, not experienced classic withdrawl symptoms. However as my drinking bouts have become more severe (or when they do), I experience mild muscle twitches, vomitting, weakness and fainting. I also know my moods are altered for at least 7 days after a drinking session. This means I'm initially remorseful, then agitated followed by periods of working too hard to make up for my 'time out'.

I take these more subtle effects to be a form of withdrawl signifying alcoholism.

Comment

Am I?

Cori -- Lots of good comments. For me, I finally had to admit that I am an alcoholic based on my failure to drink moderately -- almost every time I ever drank alcohol, all I wanted was another drink ....and another. Too many hangovers, too much depression, to many anxieties, blackouts, etc. The evidence was everywhere -- all I had to do was recognize the facts. Good luck to you. This is a great site.
                  Matt

Comment

Am I?

Am I?

Well, I know I am...that's why I am here.

I can go for long stretches. I don't have withdrawal--do have hangovers after drinking.
                    I can't stop at one. I think about it lots more than I think about butter (see the book).:H

Yep, that pretty much defines it.

Comment

Am I?

Cory,
                      I'm new here....6 days AF going for 600 plus. I am a binge drinker. I can't just have one. I know I have a problem no matter what it's call.

This website has been a wealth of information,
                      RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Working...
                      X