Greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings

:new: Hi, this is my first time here, millionth attempt at sobriety, 24th day without a drink. Almost a record for me. Longest stretch 54 days in the last 3 or so years. Heavy drinker for 10 years. Each solo cold turkey attempt is worse than the last., ending in blood, sweat and tears, quite literally, then comes the insomnia, beetroot red skin, vomiting, no food or for days, then hallucinations and seizures. About 30 days later I forget the horror and so the cycle begins again. It reminds me of people referring to childbirth - you forget the horror and go on to have more kids. I'm not a mum, but I've heard it said The last hallucinations I had were so frightening I really want to make a go of it this time.

Greetings

Hi there Waterloo! A big welcome to you and many congrats on 24 days!!
    How did you manage that?
    Have you read the book? That will give you advice to beat cravings, and here should give you some inspiration to keep going.
    I also tried many times to quit, nothing stuck except this place...
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Greetings

Welcome you have come to the best place you will make a go of it this time keep posting and talking
      cap

Comment

Greetings

:welcome:

Waterloo - your description of what you go through leaves me speechless!!

I'm not sure why I've never gone thru "withdrawals", since I'm sure I would have been considered a "heavy" drinker at times (often!)... Half a fifth of bourbon per day??

I guess the worst physical stuff I've felt have been hangovers. In the last year, I figured out how to drink w/out a hangover: Start Early!! Then, you get your "fill" long before you go to bed for the night... wake up feeling ok. SAD that I figured that out!! (Most can't do that because of a pesky thing called... Work!)

That you have quit for such long periods of time (WOW) shows you Can do it. One of the hardest things in all this (whether Day 1 or 9 or 30) is Keeping motivated.

Like you said, the reasons we want to be sober in the first place become Less inspirational if we don't keep... Inspired (to be redundant)...!

That's why this forum is so Excellent. We're all in this together, no matter where we're at, no matter who we are, etc.

It's now become a part of my morning ritual to come to site. Read positives of being sober, negatives of being drunk help me to keep going. Not that I've never slipped!

But even if I've slipped, it's so much easier to get back on track with this group cheering me on!!

Keep posting & reading -- Have a great day!!

PS - Sorry about long response! Capt. forced me to drink too much coffee this morning!!
        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Greetings

Hi waterloo,

I agree with startingover. The My Way Out book (downloadable off amazon) changed my life. I strongly recommend it.

Welcome! :welcome:

Becoming
          "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Greetings

Welcome Waterloo....

With that name, are you from Ontario? Regardless, a big heartfelt welcome!
            AF July 6 2014

Comment

Working...
            X