Question about insurance vs privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm concerned about discussing the medication part of this with my doctor and having her put it in my medical records. I will have to get my own insurance in January when my divorce is final - I'm fairly sure the health insurers will ask if I've been treated for drug and alcohol abuse and if I lie and say no, then any major thing that comes up can be disallowed for insurance. Anyone have any thoughts./experience to share on getting the meds with a doctor vs. buying online and going without medical supervision? We really don't have privacy when it comes to insurance questions and eligibility..
    I feel I need the medication because of cravings.. thanks

Hi Eastmom,

My Doc made no note of it at all on my records. I know it might not be the norm but maybe if you do speak to your GP about it, they will also be willing to keep it private?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

This is just my opinion, coming from a small town (but in this world don't we all) maybe you could buy online and wait, since it's just a few months, until your insurance is in effect, to talk to your doc. I know this is still evasive, but we are put inthis position by red tape and polititics. If you are ON RECORD with a condition, it is pre-existing, and it then becomes a big, red booger! Get some more opinions, but I would think about it since the time is so short to wait, and the cost to you out-of-pocket could be so big. If you smoke, you could ask for Cymbalta, which helps A LOT for me with for all cravings, and is much less stigmatized. Good luck, and let us know!
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi Eastmom - I don't take the meds, but it's an interesting question...

I also wonder if the meds would turn up in a drug screening... They usually ask you before you take a test if you're on any meds so they can distinguish between "prescribed" and naughty ones!

Assuming you trust your doctor (!!), I would also discuss with her...

Terrible that you're trying to help yourself, yet you have to worry about such things!!
        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

privacy issues

hi eastmom...I feel for you because I have an ex who took my kids from me and will use any little thing he can get his hands on to try and stop my vistation..which is really a horrible thing, the whole thing is a complete nightmare. I have a script for the topamax, (Which I haven't been using..another story), but on the label it says to take for siezures (which I don't have) but I'm not sure how that will fly with your insurance. I don't think it's a good idea to go without medical advice, you just never know.. I do know that the only way your medical records can be delved into is if they are supoenaed. No one can just walk in and request to look at them or have a copy of them, also the contents of those records are private unless under supoena. I'm not sure any of this helps, I'm just giving you my experience. My ex is a total rat bastard too and very vindictive...hopefully you don't have to deal with that. It's really one of the reasons why I don't seek the help I need..I'm afraid to have it anywhere in any of my records. Sick isn't it? Good luck...Have you tried doing the program without the meds and just using the supplements? I'm not sure what the answer is..I hope this helps somewhat..

Comment

My hubby would have killed me if I asked a doctor about it, as he didn't want it on my record. We had a heck of a time getting me insurance (self employed so private ins). just because I took zoloft. My premium is 200 more than the rest of the family. I can only imagine what it would be if I had it on the record that I had problems with alcohol dependence.
            On a happy note, I'm doing just fine with the MWO plan sans the topa. Have you tried the l-glut,kudzu? The amino acids in the AllOne are also critical...
            You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

I had the same concerns.

I have a long history of migraine headaches so I went that route with my Dr. If you haven't ever had migraines that could be tricky though.

You could try ordering through an internet site if you trust that.

My only other thought was have you tried kudzu? It worked really quickly at eliminating AL cravings for me. Others have said the same thing. At least it might work until you can get on your other insurance plan.

good luck,
              periwinkle
              Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X