Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excited/irritated/anxious/confused about Thanksgiving

Warning, this is long...

So here in the US, with Thanksgiving a mere five days away, I am experiencing a wide range of emotions. Since joining MWO the longest I've managed AF has been 7 days and that was while staying with my parents. On my own I've managed 4 days in a row this week, slipping up with wine last night but determined to make it to T-day AF. Why I slipped up yesterday is beyond me since it was the best day I've had in a long time. I was up early, went to the food pantry, came home showered, walked to fill out more job applications and the last place I went, I walked in and ran into an old co-worker/friend who works there. He talked to his manager and I was hired on the spot! I start Tuesday. Down sides: it's an Irish pub/restaurant and it's only part time. Plus sides: it's a JOB, I willl be hostessing, not touching or serving alcohol, it's during the day (so I'll actually have to get up and take showers every morning), it's within walking distance, and I already have a friend there and the people seem really. Plus I'll be making more money for less work than my last job. And the fact that my friend got me the job will motivate me to actually keep it, instead of waking up and blowing it off.

Anyway, I was walking home and I stopped in this market place that has all kinds of food vendors and craft tables, etc. I hadn't been in it since moving back to the states last December, so I forgot there is a wine shop. I guess I was thinking, hey, you got a job, you deserve it. And remember in AA they say relapse is part of recovery... (AA reminds me of Catholicism in that way, like sinning is human and the path to righteousness, as long as you repent; relapsing is part of the path to abstaining, as long as you keep coming back...)

I got home and called my parents to tell them the good news, expecting them to let me know when they would be dropping off my car (for those of you who don't know my story, they took my car and said I could have it back once I got a job). Now my dad is saying I can't have it until I can afford insurance. While I see his point, he is changing the rules as we go. I have a temper, so that pissed me off. He then said we'd talk about it later. I kinda feel like, whatever, but at the same time, it is getting really cold here and I don't have laundry facilities at my apartment, so I HAVE to drive somewhere. Right now my hampers is overflowing and my sheets are gross, I slept on the couch last night. I woke up today at noon not feeling great and I know it's because of the wine. Wednesday and Thursday I felt really good.

Anyway, besides last night and the withdrawls on Monday and Tuesday, I've had an ok week. I got an email from my grandparents inviting me to Thanksgiving, to which I replied it was out of my hands since I have no car. Then I got an email from my mom saying she heard that I would like to come to Thanksgiving, I said yes, but I didn't know if my parents wanted me there. They said they'd love to have me. That brightened my spirits because I do not want to be alone that day.

Until I found out that the only reason my grandparents asked me was because my mom asked them to invite me personally (I know my grandparents want me to come, it's just the way this all plays out that pisses me off) based on advice given to her by their pastor (who, in my opinion, knows waaaaay too much about my personal life thanks to the rents than he should). But whatever, I got over it after a couple of hours. Now I'm finding out that my mom is asking behind my back that it be an AF holiday because I will be there. I understand her fears, but there are going to be 10 other people there besides me, the majority of who drink. My grandparents like their brandy and wine, and aunts uncles and cousins like beer. I don't recall EVER going to family holiday without there being alcohol.

Before I found out about this AF thing, I was anxious about going because I did not want to be watched like a hawk; everyone keeping an eye on me and the bottles. I talked to my therapist about it and explained it was a lot like my bulimia. When people know that you are bulimic, they watch how and what you eat and then wait for you to make your move to the bathroom. This escalates the situation. The bulimic either a) doesn't eat at all the entire time, b) doesn't eat until no one is around, c) eats normally and then goes for a "walk", d) gets pissed and makes it very obvious to everyone what they are doing.

I told her I was going to feel the same way with this holiday, so she asked if she could share with my mom these feelings and I agreed. I don't know what my mom said back. I just want to go and have it be a normal Thanksgiving.

I've thought about not going but I know myself too well. I will get depressed, drink, and cry the entire day.

Back to the AF thing. This also makes me feel singled out. I don't want to be the reason why no one else can have a drink. I don't want to hear the complaining that there isn't any beer or wine or whatever. I will feel awful and just not want to be there at all. That will stress me out and make me feel like, yet again, everything is my fault and everyone has to celebrate a certain way because of Rachael.
    And another thing is, my parents cannot shield me from alcohol my whole entire life. Everyone here knows how cultural it is, how it is everywhere, how you can't watch a tv show or movie without seeing a cocktail, how you can't go out to a restaurant without being handed a wine list, etc. No matter what event is taking place or where I go, chances are there will be booze. So what, exactly is the point of making it AF? If I don't want to drink, I'm not going to drink. If I do, I know what I need to do. My grandparents have internet (even if I don't post, just reading helps), they live in a wooded area good for walking, my cousin and aunt are there for me, etc. I have supports to help me.

I don't know what to do. My mom doesn't know I know all of this so it's not like I can even talk to her about it without exposing the person who told me and causing a fight.
    I spoke with my sister about it and she suggested either not going, talking to my mom about it anyway, or seeing if it would be possible for me to drive separately so I can leave if I need to... I'm at a loss.
    It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission.

Rachael,
    I understand your angst about Thanksgiving. I am going thru it too. My sister made a comment about my drinking and holidays, and I am angry, when I have turned to family in recent months for support.

It seems like your mom does care about you, though -- she has been here and posted her concerns. She probably feels that she is trying to help, but maybe is being overbearing in her approach. I would try to talk to her. Please don't spend the holiday alone, because, as you said, you'll just make it worse.

Feel free to PM me anytime. We could even get together for lunch or coffee sometime (you are a 2 hr drive from me).

Take care,
    CS

Comment

Rachel, I know it is all VERY stressful so my best advice is to not try too hard to control any of it, just ride through it as well as you can, let everything flow over you, just get through it without drinking and don't allow yourself to worry about what and how everyone else is doing... Holidays are very difficult for me, always, and I usually drink my way through them. So my plan is to step back (mentally and emotionally) from the stressful stuff as well as I can.

Comment

Hi Rachelita.

Congratulations on the job! Every small step multiplies! This is just the beginning.

I think Holidays are stressful for everyone...we all have such high expectations! Don't worry about who said what or who asked "whom"! Your Grandparents want you to be there and YOU want to be there! Tell your parents that you don't expect everyone to curtail their drinking because of you (they are not going to "CURE" you over a Holiday weekend!!!). In fact, let them know that this will put even more pressure on you (that you don't need). Maybe take some club soda or other beverage you enjoy and alternate it with the wine or whatever you enjoy. You didn't get here overnite and you won't get out overnite.

By the way, I might insight the wrath of some people here, but from what I have read and researched, Problem Drinking (I refuse the "A" label) has a HUGE physiological component. Some researchers think it is as basic as survival mechanisms (eg. fighting starvation). Forget rationalization. That's why it's so difficult to stop...your body imagines it's going into starvation. Genetics play a role as does environment. I don't go for the guilt stuff...I'm working on my damned neurons! Sure, many of us have issues with emotions, which may have led us to drinking in the first place, but the physical thing has a huge influence.

Go to Thanksgiving! Be Thankful for your life, for your new job, for the love of your grandparents (the concern of your parents). For a (thoughtful) laugh, watch "Pieces of April"

If you want to talk about bulemia, PM me.

B.
        Anything I can Believe, I can Achieve!

Comment

Believer, I doubt anyone here will argue against you about the fact that physiological changes and genetic influences play a large role in alcohol dependence! I like what you said: "I'm working on my damned neurons!" The question is a practical one: what practices and interventions are effective in "working on [our] damned neurons"? Effectively managing emotions and thoughts, as well as our "external" environments, helps us manage our behavioral choices... and each of these aspects of our functioning is reflected in our physiology, and our neurons.

Guilt is not helpful, I agree. However, recognizing that feeling guilty can
          be a trigger is helpful, if we figure out good, effective responses to those feelings.

wip

Comment

Keep trying Rach......Rome was'nt built in a day. LOL IAD.
            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

I truly have no words of wisdom as I SUCK at family issues, but know you are in my thoughts....I'd prorbably end up making a real ass of myself as I can not handle being judged...it is a true pet peeve. You are in good ahnds here...love to you!
              Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Rachelita;475330 wrote: I don't know what to do. My mom doesn't know I know all of this so it's not like I can even talk to her about it without exposing the person who told me and causing a fight.
                I spoke with my sister about it and she suggested either not going, talking to my mom about it anyway, or seeing if it would be possible for me to drive separately so I can leave if I need to... I'm at a loss.
                Well, considering she posts here too, she's probably read this and knows (or will very soon).

She just loves you. I think she is at a loss as to how to help. I do wish you both the best. :h
                You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

river0123;475423 wrote: Well, considering she posts here too, she's probably read this and knows (or will very soon).

She just loves you. I think she is at a loss as to how to help. I do wish you both the best. :h
                  I wish I knew what to tell her she could do to help. That's what is so frustrating for me is not being able to give her a way to help because I don't even know what will or will not set me off half the time. I do know that being made to feel watched or talked about triggers me, that guilt triggers me, that boredom and loneliness trigger me, that the pressure my dad puts upon me triggers me... And I hate the fact that my depression aggravates all of it. (FYI, I was depressed way before I started drinking.)
                  The bottom line is, we are both unsure of how to help me.

Comment

Oh, families can suck. Especially when they know you have issues.

I understand what you are feeling by saying all eyes are on you and you feel singled out. I went through those feelings too a couple of years ago when I joined this place and needed to make huge changes.

The thing is that you are doing this for YOU. Not them, for you. While they are getting all hammed up, just think about how good and healthy YOU will feel the next day.

Stuff yourself with some great food, and you won't want to drink. If there are snacks there before dinner, nibble on those.

Don't feel like you are an alien. You are a wonderful person who wants a better life for herself.

Imagine all of us being there totally supporting you. A lot of us completely understand what you are feeling - you are so not alone and you don't have to feel bad about anything.

Head up high!

Comment

Rachael, I think your family having an AF holiday is truly an act of love and support, even though it makes you feel guilty. When you have AF time behind you, it will be much easier to get through the holidays without drinking, even if others are, but you are very new to this.

Maybe you can bow out soon after the dessert and give them some time to have their drinks. Maybe you and your mom can have a talk and make a game plan.

Please don't feel guilty though. You deserve some extra consideration. You are trying to do something that is difficult and very important!
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Rachael I agree with YoungAtHeart. This isn't necessarily an attack or even a value judgment. Your family may be taking extra steps to celebrate the holiday as one of inclusion for you.

I'm going to have 10 people in the house on Thursday. I'm so afraid of blowing it. So I bought a lot of FRE, and also sparkling pear cider. I hate Fre, but I love the pear cider. Two family members are too young to drink, my niece and nephew, so I figure at least I'll join them. But I'll heartily encourage all to join in my many bottles of cider. I look forward to a glowing table of plenty, a celebration of family and food, and numerous glasses of AF sparkly sweetness.

This is my way of taking a tough problem, and using traditional forms of "family and generosity" for this holiday to turn it into AF celebration.

Comment

Hi Rachelita

I can see why this makes you feel so uncomfortable and I think you make a lot of good points. Young at Hearts offers a good take on this. I think they are trying to help but in the process, making you feel uncomfortable.

You probably should tell them you don't want them to abstain and that you can abstain on your own. As for being the only one AF, that is something unfortunately you will need to get used to.

Did you ever look into Antabuse? I just thought that would be a way for you to prove you would not be drinking.

Don't stay home alone! An alternative would be to spend it with close friends.

Nancy

Comment

Rachel,

I think the AF holiday for EVERYONE would really get on my nerves too. Your mom may have great intentions but she seems overly involved in "fixing you", almost codependent. I think you need to battle your own demons and she needs to battle hers. Regardless, I think this was all done in love and I do believe you should go and make the best of it. Hold your head high and be proud of all that you have accomplished.

Luvya,

Myheart
                            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                            - George Jackson

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've had a couple of days to think about it and I've decided not to say anything before we get there. I think I'll play dumb and then "notice" when we are there that there is no alcohol. Then let her know how it makes me feel even more conspicuous that no one is drinking and it's becasue of me. Both of my sisters agree that sooner or later I'm going to have to deal with people drinking in front of me. It's just life.

Drowning in wine, I think you made a good point about her being too involved in trying to fix me. Perhaps it is codependent. My parents have gone to Al Anon before, but only two maybe three times. They will tell you themselves they don't feel comfortable there, yet expect me to be going to AA everyday.

Usually my dad is the "fixer", usually men tend to be that way. Maybe it was his idea in the first place? Whatever the case what's done is done. I'm bringing all my sups and vitamins and plan to take lots of walks. We'll be there Wed-Sat. It's gonna be a looong four days.

Comment

Working...
                              X