starting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting out

I'm just posting to say that I am starting out. I really appreciate that this site offers a moderation option. I have been struggling with alcoholism for about a year and drink a bottle to two and half bottles a night. Usually it's a bottle and a half and the alcohol free days only happen when I am sick.:new:

starting out

:welcome:
    Keep reading and posting! You'll love it here!
    :l
    :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

starting out

Gypsy- I was where you are at a mere 4 days ago and already have received great advice and encouragement. Plus the members all are dealing with the same issues.

Comment

starting out

Welcome Gypsy....I find reading helps. I am discouraged right now as I drank far too much Saturday but also a little pleased that I am not giving up - today I will not drink....
        :new: Jas56

Comment

starting out

All in the same boat I reckon. I have been overwhelmed by the support here. Do not give up trying as it is a war.
          Was going to say cheers but regards sounds more sober.
          Day one again here.

Comment

starting out

Hi there Gypsy, welcome to you!
            Do you have a plan in place? That is a good way to start here
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

starting out

Welcome Gypsie!
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

starting out

welcome gypsy, have you read the book? it it very inspirational and may just help you focus on why you want to change -stay with us xx
                Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

starting out

I think it is great we have found a place to be honest about something we are so quiet and shamed about. Although I haven't quit and started my journey, I have found such a support group that understands what I am going through. We can do it......I wanted someone to say do this and it would be easy but i know it won't be. It is a decision,,,right???!!!
                  Gypsy...you are brave and strong.....we can stick to it together

Comment

starting out

I'm an alcoholic too...

One drink is never enough and always too many...

For me, I know I can NEVER moderate. I'm not a 'problem drinker,' I don't simply have a 'problem' and/or am not able to have a drink every once in a while. Just my experience...

I struggle...
                    Working on it... AF as of...[sigh]. Today...today is all that matters.

Comment

starting out

:welcome:

Stick around, lots to be learned here and lots of great people.
                      :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

starting out

also starting out....again

Received my supplements today. Who else has done ALL the supplements the way you are supposed to? Does it work?
                        I feel fat, tired and defeated. Not drinking near as much as I used to but sometimes i just need to ease the pain!
                        Tomorrow's a new day!
                        Hanging on!

Comment

starting out

:welcome: Gypsy

Twosox

Comment

starting out

Thanks!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the support! I have sought out several sources of support and this has been thus far the most productive.

Someone asked if I'd read the book... wasn't aware of a book- is it related to the site?

Someone else repeated the old cliche of one not being enough yet also being too much and that they were unable to moderate. To that person I would like to say that I do very much appreciate your support and you might prove to be right. However, while people may share struggles, there is plenty of evidence to support that different paths to recovery work for different people. In fact, one thing that deters me from an abstinence based approach are the stats of that approach vs. harm min or maintenance based approaches for the treatment of various forms of substance addiction. Another, and probably more obvious deterrent is obviously the 'I don't never wanna drink again' fear- perhaps such a fear explains those stats? A further deterrent is my previous second-hand experience with 12 step program years ago. It seems to fine for those who succeed yet makes those who don't make it further self-loathe (not the program itself perhaps the people involved in particular groups?).

In any case, I just need support. And thanks to everyone for who replied for offering me that!

:new:

Comment

Working...
                            X