How to cope with loneliness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone, I have found this site very supportive and inspirational. :new: made it through 3 days AF and on day 4 the night before thanksgiving I am home alone, following my usual routine I decided to cave in and get wine. Thing is the supplements have taken most of my craving away, I am just looking for that buzz that makes me forget my problems and life a bit.

I am wondering how others cope with loneliness, I have no family in NY other that a 19 year old son, the holidays are a tough time for me, but I dont know how to cope with that AF:thanks:
    "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

well you are doing the right thing now just by coming here and reading and just keeping yourself busy .. thats all you can do as for that wine just pour it out you done need it .. it will just make things worst never better .. stay strong and think positive you will get thru this .. and just know you are never alone someone is always here
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Hi Swans,
      I can't say I know about lonliness at holidays, but I've known the "want" to be alone during holidays. It's suppose to be such a happy time of year, but so many of us get down, especially those with SAD. Hang in there. Try to get out and shop a little. Exercise a little. Or watch a good movie. These are things that help me, so maybe it'll do the same for you. Take care.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thanks tlrgs and j-vo I am taking this one moment at a time, I know I need to be stronger and not cave in next time. Thanks for the support. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Comment

Swans, it's only natural to want to be around people that you care about during the holidays. Do you belong to any groups or have any interests? Sometimes that is a great way to get to know people (for example my cycling group is having a bowling part on Friday).

At the very least, check in here with us often and let us know how you are feeling. Most of us have been in the same boat as you and have turned to alcohol to numb our problems, if only for a little while. The problem is that it can become a habit, and in my case I kept drawing farther and farther into myself and away from society.

I wish you the happiest of Thanksgiving, and know that you are among friends here. Sounds like you are off to a great start - keep it up!
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Hiya Swans, AA is right, alcohol tends to withdraw us eventually.
            If I am feeling lonely, I tend to go for a walk, come here, read or emmerse myself in a film. Divert yourself from the negative thinking any way you can. I am using my AF time to try to develop myself, my self esteem and my general outlook. I do feel better most of the time but of course sometimes the old thoughts creep in.
            Keep posting and reading and a huge welcome to you!
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

hi swans, where in new York do you live? I live in n.y.c. Grew up here.

Comment

I have to say that the people on this site are amazing:huggy Thanks for the advice and support, I am extremely glad that I have a place to go when I need support

Comment

raineyjane;478685 wrote: hi swans, where in new York do you live? I live in n.y.c. Grew up here.
                  I live in Queens, you?

Comment

manhattan I was born in queens.

Comment

All the best to you

Hey there, I find it amazing that this problem is experienced by so many people around the world. Here I am at the bottom of the world in New Zealand. Hope your feeling better for your thanksgiving celebrations. Wishing you success in your journey and in a strange way when your not numbed by the alcohol, it feels good to feel again.

Comment

Hey there, I find it amazing that this problem is experienced by so many people around the world. Here I am at the bottom of the world in New Zealand. Hope your feeling better for your thanksgiving celebrations. Wishing you success in your journey and in a strange way when your not numbed by the alcohol, it feels good to feel again.

Comment

Welcome, Swans, keep posting - keep positive, not picking up the FIRST drink is a good start. All things are passing - try remembering that in the shit moments - they DO pass. Bless
                          *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

This will be my first Christmas alone.
                            I've always loved Christmas and last year was magical for me.
                            I have no plans except to get to Midnight Mass, and call in on my grandkids and see their beaming faces.
                            I don't feel sorry for myself. It'll just be different this year.

Comment

Howzit !!!

First post here, and I'm on antabuse for 5 hours now....
                              Anyway, on leaving the doctor's office yesterday after getting the prescription, I popped into a pub for my last 2 beers ( well, actually 3 ), but you know how it goes.
                              That was a great thing, because I met a guy I haven't seen in years who was then in the hassle I am in now. To talk with him was inspirational.
                              But, to get back to this thread, we both agreed that we got in this situation because of loneliness and boredom.
                              My main inspiration for stopping is because in the last few months I have turned from being a pleasant guy with some drinks in me, to a belligerent drunk.
                              Not the best way to cure loneliness!!!
                              Thank you, all of you .....:new:

Comment

Working...
                              X