Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cope with loneliness?

Kapo, Swans, Good Morning !!!

This is truly the best I've ever felt Monday morning for several years....
    I was thinking about you guys the weekend : Swans, you must have a lot more patience than I have, if your first self-made sushi came out so well. Cool !!
    Kapo, how was the trip, and is your man holding up well ?

I did my first AA meeting saturday.... cool people, but, G*d, they talk too freakin' much!!, and all talk is about booze ...... I mean, I want to forget about booze, not obsess about it. They've done millions well, but I feel the meetings may hold me back ....

PS. I didn't know I was allowed to say 'Pass' when I was asked to tell my story in the meeting, until someone after me said 'Pass'. I got quite p*ssed off.......

Comment

G'day Fidel. Great to hear you're feeling good. Thanks for mentioning the 'pass' option at AA meeting, as i'm thinking of trying one soon, just out of curiosity, and to see if it's for me. Don't wanna tell my story to a room full of stranger's just yet!..... All the best on your journey mate, G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Guitarista, howzit !!

Yes, you want to check the scene out first.
        I was very warmly welcomed by some people who really want everyone who comes into their fold to become sober. I got a starter pack with lots of info. in it, the most practical one being advice on diet, keeping busy, relationships, etc... One guy insisted that I take his number, and I can call him any time, day or night, if I need to.

I recommend you go and check it out ....... remember, you're allowed to say 'pass' if you want ....

And good luck to you ...!

Comment

Swans - sorry didn't get back to you earlier! Dam glad to hear you doing good, DAM glad indeed. Keep it up, you are worth it...Serenity/courage/wisdom/ as well as laughter/fun/joy are all to be had with healthy sobriety. Doesn't mean shit won't happen! But... WAIT FOR IT....it passes!!

Fids and Gat - ALOHA to you both
          *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

I understand loneliness. I am sure that is one big factor in my drinking problem. I originally come from a place called Yorkshire and moved to London 17 years ago to be with the father of my kids, who is a londoner. Trouble was that I had totally isolated myself, I knew no one and my life with him was not very good. Left him but still stayed in London so my kids could have easy access to him. Culturally I felt different. I have a few friends but generally tend to be on my own, most days. I say 'hi' to people when I walk the dogs and my neighbours are ok, but I am alone. I am aiming to go and join a gym and begin exercising again. It was very different to my life up north, I had a good, secure network of friends and support. I had a stream of visitors and visited others regularly. Making friends seems to get harder the older you get. I sometimes want to run back up north, but what you had up there yesterday may not be the same today. So I have to try and make a life for me now. Plus, I really do have to conquer this compulsion to drink and if I run now I fear I may be doing it to escape all the help that I have in place here. I belong to a Alcohol Addiction Treatment Centre and am busy with them doing Art, Psychology and keep fit. I guess it is a bit like the beatles song with the lyrics 'I look at all the lonely people, where to they all come from?'. You are not alone. It just seems like it.:l

Comment

Plus, wherever you go, there you are. You leave nothing behind, really.
              vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Hi Maddiva:

You are right, I think loneliness is a state of mind, because I know people and have friends, just dont have much family, then again people with family feel alone as well. I have to say that I am finding that coming here during my usual drinking time is a huge help while I sip tea, soda, anything BUT booze. Thanks for the support:l
                "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

Greetings Fidel and Kapo, thanks for the kind words, Fidel AA did not work for me, I did feel that it would bring me down with the stories of others drinking habits. You have to find what works best for you, AA has helped many people

Comment

Hiya swans - great to see you here. I find AA dam good, I don't hear a lot of "drunkalogues" but much Experience, Strength and Hope. However it certainly ain't for everyone. I'm cruising through another AF day, has had its rocky patches, had more involvement with local constabulary in last 24 hours that all my this year's benders lol - murphy's law or something. How you doin?

Comment

Hey Kapo:

You are really doing great:goodjob:, I read your story/bio and you really have been through alot, glad to hear that you are through another AF day. If AA works for you, stick to it, I tried many different locations/meetings and not for me. I am back on the wagon this monday, I had a really tough day abstaining today, but went to the gym, read, watched TV and stayed as busy as possible. My goal is to make 7 days straight AF.
                      I am proud of you, keep up the good work girl

Comment

Hey swans - awesome message, thank you lots and lots. Please feel free to PM me if you want some motivation or just to yak or whatever...you can do it! Glad to hear you're doing the gym thing etc - a great natural endorphin release. Make sure you rehydrate lots, (water water water) alcohol major dehydrating, but you know that!! Bless you! Keep on keeping on ay

Comment

P.S Swans - One day, I AM gonna make it to NY ay. Can I come stay with you?!?!??! Don't fret just yet, I may well be using a walking frame by the time I get my shit together!! Big hug

Comment

You are more than welcome here, hopefully before you need a walking frame.......I have always dreamt of visiting beautiful New Zealand, just haven't gathered the $ it takes to get there

Comment

OH SWAN YOU POSTED TO ME INDIVIDUALLY. THANKS. HAVE NOT BEEN TO NYC YET, BUT ONE DAY. DON'T WANT TO COME AND GET DRUNK!!! CAN YOU IMAGINE IT:H? LONELINESS IS THE DISEASE OF OUR SOCIETY. IT IS AWFUL. FRIENDS, FAMILY, YOU CAN BE WITH THEM ALL BUT STILL THE LONELIEST SOUL ON THE PLANET. NO I DO NOT KNOW HOW THAT WORKS, JUST KNOW IT CAN HAPPEN. GET TO THE GYM GIRL. IF YOU ARE NOT UP TO SCRATCH. LIKE ME:H SOD EM. GO IN FOR YOU. FOR TO SAY HELLO TO THE RECEPTIONIST WILL FIGHT YOUR LONELINESS. YOU CAN GET HOME, SHUT YOUR DOOR AND SAY SOLITUDE, I WELCOME YOU. MUCH LOVE BE STRONG. SWANS MATE FOR LIFE, NOW HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THAT. WE HAVE MUCH TO LEARN FROM SWANS.:h

Comment

Working...
                              X