Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where to now?

Greetings from Sunny South Africa!

Today I celebrate 30 days straight AF and 40 out of 44 days in total. I am lucky in that I had no physical withdrawal syptoms - the only problem was (still is) to break the ingrained habit of going home and getting totally rat faced every night and most weekends. Apart from this forum and some increased excercise I have not used any books, supplements or drugs - just white knuckle determination. The last few days to the 30 day mark were mildly tough - I think we are all wired with a self destruct circuit. I am not sure where to now. I feel I would be letting myself down if I had to break the run so I will try to carry on. Silly season is here so there will be temptations. I would now like to use the AF as a dieting focus. I seriously need to loose weight. I had thought the kilos would just pour off but no way Jose. We move into our summer break now so I will be able to cycle and garden more which should help.
    Good luck to all of you struggleing still to make the breakthrough - I hope it will be soon.
    I realy dont know what it was that clicked in my mind that made me make the move apart from realising that it was a habit I had to break and not an addiction. (The amount I was drinking over a few dacades should have made me addicted - I am very blessed.).

Love to you all,
    John

So where to now?

Well done,:goodjob: i look forward to the day i can say 30 days AF, I have found so much support here in this forum, I to am trying to go cold turkey, no supplements etc, so far not so bad, its not eh physical withdrawal i'm afraid of, but the psychological one that worries me, I to look at it as a chance to get my diet ion order, have started getting up early & going for a walk or just sitting outside in the back garden just after sunrise watchng my cats play, it gives me a peace that i try to take with me for the rest of the day.
    XX
    *Witchy*
    Progress, not perfection!!!
    A craving wont kill me, but drinking could!!!

Comment

So where to now?

John,
      Howzit from the opposite corner of the same country.......
      I'm on my 9th day AF, with the help of Antabuse. I understand what you're saying, because booze formed the whole basis of my existence outside of work. There was no social activity, ( even parking alone at home ), without booze being in the centre of it.
      Very lucky, as I realised where I was going, I linked up with an almost teetotal girlfriend. Coincidence? I doubt it.
      John, well done on the AF time, and may it go easy for you....

Andrew.

Comment

So where to now?

Where to from here , you ask, John? Onwards and upwards, I say!! Good on you!
        Fids - the antabuse dam good leg-up, teetotaller g/f nice asset too. Hope you good. I scored a Sth African rugby t-shirt at opp shop today, and am proudly and unpatriotically wearing in now!
        Witchy!! Nice to see another NZer here, how are you?
        *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

So where to now?

Hi guys ... I just want to say hello to those who are awake right now. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking alone, in the dark, in a museum. Or a library. After closing time.

Good to see you all here. Wishing you well.

Comment

So where to now?

Gorgeously put Tawny - this afternoon I had a free hour and logged in, and I could hear the echo! Actually though about messaging myself LOL. Good to see you

Comment

So where to now?

Hi John, congratulations, and keep on going. We all need guys like you here. Fidel, keep going too, Im on day 5, my first in as long as I can remember, never tried kicking it before. Im also going white knuckle, have had no ovbious withdrawels, except bad dreams that I usually had are worse. Have had a seriosuly sore head in the evenings though, is that normal?

Tawny, I live in South East Asia, so have also been sitting for a few hours this week in your empty library.

Kapo, are you sure you wont be beheaded for wearing that shirt? Tut tut, Im origianlly Irish, be like me wearing an english one!
              Live your life in such a way that
              when your feet hit the floor in the morning,
              Satan shudders & says...

'Oh sh*t the B!tch is awake!!'

Comment

So where to now?

Neuro - just let ?m try it!! Gosh, I have even supported FRANCE to be bolshie !! The rugby-mentality bores me shitless you see, however I am aware that my rebellious nature may be a character defect I may need to look at..........sometime........perhaps.........maybe? ??????????? NA!

Love the Irish accent! Hope you are doing well in recovery and life in general in SE Asia X

Comment

So where to now?

Way to Go John K:goodjob:
                  Where to go for me is to continue being AF, ODAT. The choice is yours. I wish u well.
                  "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

So where to now?

I'm still on the wagon, still clean for the month, white-knuckle too. Its Frenzy Friday today, my cracking day, or maybe not. History says I will crack and cave today. History can be a right load of arse-trumpets at times.

Its sometimes useful to think of people who are having a harder time, to draw strength from their strength and to be grateful for their advice, but, frankly, anyone who supports France at rugby deserves everything they get. Even if they're French!

To booze, to History, to France, today I shall be saying 'No!'.

Hoorah!

Comment

Working...
                    X