How do I stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stop?

I did a year without alcohol and it was fantastic! But I started again and my drinking has got worse than ever. Today is sober day three (again). Prior to that, I had a week or so of panic attacks and my stress levels were through the roof! I can’t live like that. It’s too scary.

I just want to stop drinking forever but I know the addictive brain will creep up on me again soon.

What do I do next?

Great job getting back on track with your first 3 days TOFTS! Just keep doing what you're doing, don't pick up that first drink and do it one day at a time. Reach out for support if it feels like it's getting too hard to handle on your ow. You can do this, you've proved it to yourself once already.
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Prior to that, I had a week or so of panic attacks and my stress levels were through the roof!
      I still struggle a bit with stress and anxiety, but overall it's so much better since I quit drinking (after the withdrawal period). I haven't had a really bad panic attack in ages it seems. It's now easy to realize how much alcohol can effect brain chemistry, and especially can exacerbate any mental health issues one may be prone to. I can tell you from personal experience the longer you keep drinking, it only gets worse.
      Other than try to keep that in mind (amongst many other negative aspects of alcohol) there's not much more advice than that that I can give you.

Comment

Working...
      X