Quit smoking and now quitting drinking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone, I have been taking the supplements, listening to the CD's, and I have to say that my cravings have decreased and I am now not drinking everyday. Thing is.........on the days I drink I usually buy that bottle out of habit before going home, or at least it feels that way........In other words I dont feel an excessive craving, but I am afraid to go home without the wine because I feel I may suffer in some way.
    I quit smoking on October 2nd this year, and addiction to cigarettes was the same, I smoked a pack a day along with the wine and I could not go home without a pack, actually could not be without a pack.....EVER!!!!!It is embarrassing how out of control my life has been, so I figured I would kill tobacco and now alcohol is next I see the resemblance with both addictions, can anyone relate? Any advice?
    Thanks
    "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

I can totally relate! I had little trouble quitting AL but I can't seem to quit the cigs. Maybe I feel as tho its all I have left- I'm bot sure. I have tried several times with no real success. I am going to have the quit be my New Years resolution. Do you have any tips? I would appreciate any thoughts. Best to you! Kriger
    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Kriger:

I had quit 2X before but they did not last, my last method was reading a book by Allen Carr..."the easy way to quit smoking" . A friend of mine reccomended it and it helped her, and many friends to quit, it was easy and quite painless. You really have nothing to loose, worst case you will be in the same spot as now

Comment

Hey Swans,
        I have the smoking/drinking problem. One goes with the other, it seems. Actually, a triple addiction. Wine - ciggies - book. Like a "run away" syndrome!! I need to find that Alan Carr book - I looked for the Easy Way to Quit Drinking book, but it wasn't there . Sigh!!!!
        Stick around - good people here. Amazing you quit the cigs. I only smoke at night - not a one, all day, but come 10:30 and wine-o'clock.............. it's my battle! I have to learn to quit habits!
        You will be fine - greetings to all the peeps in India! I think my son wants to travel over there next year after high school
        Talk to you later!
        xo peanut

Comment

It took me three years to quit smoking. I had smoked for more than 20 years and hated it- I had tried every help method known to man, and although I was able to string together maybe 5 days at a time, I kept lighting up again.

Although I know many people have quit using patched and gum, personally go with Allen Carr on that one it is better to do without, or we are just putting nicotine back in- the very thing we want to free ourselves from.

I think there is something everyone who is trying to quit smoking should know! Nicotine is a very fast acting drug- the hit is instant- but it also leaves your system very quickly, the maximum it should take is 5 days- most people will have all traces of nicotine out of the system after just 72 hours- so any cravings after that are purely just triggers born out of habit- answering the phone, with a cup of coffee, or a glass of wine etc there is no physical reason at all after the first few days.

So once we have gone through each of those physical triggers a few times- ie drank a coffee without a cig basically the habit just drops away.

Once I realised this quitting was not a problem- after about a week all thoughts of smoking had gone, and I considered myself a non smoker, as indeed I was.

I stupidly started again about 6 years later when my dad was dying- but by applying the knowledge I had quitting was a lot easier that time. (However please please don't ever start again- it is highly not recommended)

Comment

Hi and good luck! My doctor and counsellor told me it would be a bad idea at the moment to quit smoking and drinking at the same time. I have been af since middle of october. I really really want to give up...but you know what? if i'm truthful i hang on to what they originally said.....don't give up yet! but they probably wouldn't say that now lol!! so, i have a quit day set for monday. I will check in on this thread to see how you're doing....and also, it will kind of become my thread too! Lets help each other! (mind you, some days i seem boring enough as it is now what with not drinking, at least i can still pop out for a fag with them at social events)!!!!

take care,

summer x

Comment

lol 'them' refers to just about everybody i know!!!

Comment

Hello Swans, I quit smoking 13 years ago after many many attempts. The final time a attempted to quit, found out I was pregnant with my daughter, so that did it, never picked up another one.

I know what you mean about stopping at the store to by wine and beer in my case, I would do it just in case I caved, so I wouldn't have to drink my husbands beer and wine. But finally on Nov. 10th I really had enough and dumped my wine and swore I would not by anymore alcohol. Since then I caved once, today I am on day 19 AF and my beer from before Nov.10th still sits in the fridge for company.

Twosox

Comment

I bought the Allen Carr book but have not read it....I will pull it out today and finish it by the end of the month so I am good and ready for New Year's Eve. Who knows, maybe I'll finish the book and have a go before 12/31! Thanks for that tip. I really don't like the idea of the patches but they were helping when I was trying to quit in the past. I like the idea of being done with the physical cravings after 4-5 days!!!
                  "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Its a great book, and a painless way to quit, I am surprised that its not more popular in the States. It sure beats the patch and all those replacements that do not work
                    kriger;492401 wrote:
                    I bought the Allen Carr book but have not read it....I will pull it out today and finish it by the end of the month so I am good and ready for New Year's Eve. Who knows, maybe I'll finish the book and have a go before 12/31! Thanks for that tip. I really don't like the idea of the patches but they were helping when I was trying to quit in the past. I like the idea of being done with the physical cravings after 4-5 days!!!

Comment

swans;493215 wrote: Its a great book, and a painless way to quit, I am surprised that its not more popular in the States. It sure beats the patch and all those replacements that do not work
                      I agree Krigs- its a great book and will probably give you that extra little shove you need!

You''ll get there very soon, I'm sure.

Comment

Iam still wondering if anyone is coping with quitting smoking before quitting drinking

Comment

Alan Carr also wrote a book, "No more hangovers". It is excellent. I bought it on a whim about a year ago. I must admit, that at that stage I was not ready to quit drinking. It helped me to know that Alan Carr had also gone through the same proccess.

I did give up smoking 26 years ago. It really was hell at first, but well worth it. One of the best things I ever did.

Comment

is this all about wht others think,do you care,no,yes maybe,you will find a way.this sobriety thing is not easy,god luck gyco

Comment

swans;492193 wrote:
                              I see the resemblance with both addictions, can anyone relate?
                              Hello Swans & congratulations on your quits! Yes, I can totally relate. There are many similarities to the two addictions, and we can use what we have learned from one to help us with the other. The strength & determination that I got from quitting smoking, is what gave me the confidence to know that I can do whatever I set my mind to doing...it just takes perseverance, patience & also we must choose to love, respect & be gentle with ourselves...something we have probably forgotten how to do over the course of our lives.

For me, quitting drinking seemed to be harder than when I quit smoking, but I think that had to do with it being my "last crutch". I think if I had quit drinking first, I would have found that going nicotine-free more difficult. Now that I have become totally comfortable being a non-smoker & non-drinker, life keeps getting better & better!

Stay strong in your resolve, the rewards that await you are far greater than you can imagine
                              AF 6 years
                              NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Working...
                              X