Greetings from a new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Johnny & welcome! Since it's winter here I'm into hot decaf teas and keeping busy. I'm so glad for you that you recognized the need to quit and are doing something about it. Good luck on your journey!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Welcome Johnny, sounds like you are on your way, just remember to take it one day at a time. It does get better the more time you have under your belt, at least it has for me. Good luck today and stay strong.

Twosox

Comment

Hi johnny!

Welcome! Since you're taking it one day at a time I'd like to invite you to our ODAT (One Day At A Time Thread). We have fun there.

I'm so glad you didn't listen to the doc and took matters into your own hands, good for you! This is a great community and I'm so happy you're part of it! :l
        Becoming
        "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Welcome Johnny, I look forward to getting to know you.
          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

:hallo: Just a quick hello - gotta run! Sounds like you're on your way Johnny - well done! Why don't you stop by the ODAT or Newbie's Nest threads?

:welcome:
            Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hi Johnny and welcome!

xx
              There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Hi. Thank you for all your warm welcomes. I'll make sure to stop by at the suggested threads.

DeeBee. I have considered switching to Ginger Beer lite (sugar free). But there's just nothing quite like Stoneys.

I'll see (read) you all in the various threads.

:thanks:
                AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Hi Johnny, wow, another South African..

I think your doctor has a bit of a problem. He should have rather given encouragement.
                  I also had a strange reaction when I asked for antebuse.. the doctor nearly dropped his stethescope in suprise. He said it was the first time a patient had requested it.

I also find it difficult to find a suitable soft drink. I don't have a sweet tooth so most drinks don't turn me on at all. The Woolies Gingerbeer is not too bad. I have also tried their carrot/pineapple/grapefruit blend. Mixed with a bit of soda water it is rather pleasant.

Just a little tip, given to me by someone from AA. She told me that as addicts we have lost our natural ability to deal with thirst. The minute we get thirsty, we start to crave alcohol, rather than a glass of water. She told me to drink frequently so as to prevent any thirst even developing. We are in summer right now, so it might be something worth considering.

Comment

Welcome aboard Johnny
                    We are here to support you. You are well on your way :goodjob:
                    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Hi again Johnny - "met" you over the last day or two on the Daily Abstinence thread in the Monthly Abstinence section. Sounds like you are doing well! I love your ubeat outlook. I believe that getting sober (or quitting smoking or any addiction) is a WHOLE lot easier - or at least more pleasant - when done with a good attitude!

The leader of a local recovery group that I am part of has been sober now for 8 years. But his road to sobriety was not an easy one. He not on antabuse any more but was previously. He "tested it" to see if it really makes you sick. He said IT REALLY MAKES YOU SICK! I had to laugh when he told the story, because he seems just the type to push every boundary and test every theory - I bet he drove his momma nuts when he was a kid. Anyway, I have often said that if I hadn't been able to get sober without it, I would absolutely take antabuse to aid me while I worked on the other part of building a life without alcohol.

Just another quick comment. You mentioned you had trouble concentrating and asked your wife for some reading material with more pictures. I too experienced that inability to concentrate for very long. I think it's pretty common. It does pass. Mean time, I had a dirty minded thought about the type of picture based material Mr. Doggy would enjoy in such a situation.

Have a good weekend.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Veritas, Yeah I know what you are saying about the ginger beer. Woollies is abit pricey for me though
                        I hear what you are saying about the thirst. I think it hits the nail on the head. I feel the same way interestingly when I don't eat enough or am hungry. I am more inclined to feel like a drink. I guess the brain is completely buggered up at this stage.

Doggygirl. Hi. Hahaha. No it was not that type of magazine. Even though there were some half naked ladies in the mag, being an FHM.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes everyone.

:thanks:
                        AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Working...
                        X