Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Starting Out

Hi

This is probably the first time I have ever done something about my problem. My story is much like others, I started drinking at 18, drank right through university and while backpacking. I met my husband who is also a drinker and we just basically carried on with our ways. We now have 2 beautiful children, 4 and 5. My husband doesn't consider that he has a problem, drinking is such a big part of australian life. I binge drink at the weekend, saturday night and sunday late afternoon. I only drink beer and when I drink I drink to get blotto. I am so sick of it all. I have tried to abstrain in the past but have always failed. I only drink at home, in front of my husband so I don't think that anyone knows my secret. Today is Monday so I am feeling bad about myself, tomorrow I will feel better and by Thursday I will have forgotten how bad I feel about everything today. I don't like to take meds so I will try to abstain for the 30 days, and if I really struggle I will approach a doctor. This is something that I have wanted for so long and I hope that my willpower holds up to it for the next 30 days.

Reading the stories of the members here has made me feel like this is someplace where I don't have to hide.

Newbie Starting Out

Welcome Ezzmae!!

You have come to the right place! Have you read the book MWO? It will help you formulate a plan to achieve 30 days AF.
    I also recommend the suppliments, not only for cravings but to detox the liver.
    Shout out if you need any help or advice, we are here for you.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

Welcome Ezzmae and well done on your decision. I am also a newbie and wish that I had acted on the warning signs a lot younger.
      Good luck on your 30 days.

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

Welcome Ezz! Admitting powerlessness over amounts we drink and actions when drunk the first and VITAL step...which requires HUGE courage. You are on your way!!! Keep posting, get a plan together, and never be afraid to ask for help. Alcoholism is NOT a moral issue, we have an illness - which IS arrestable, and happy and healthy living in recovery is possible TOGETHER!
        *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

Hi Ezz,

I also only started out here a couple of days ago.

I share a similar story (and in South AFrica too drinking is part of our culture and lifestyle so realising that your drinking has become a problem is difficult.)

Good luck on your journey. I am on a drug called Antabuse which is helping me greatly. Maybe you could read up on it and see if it's for you?!
          AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

I'm also here for the first time today...have ordered a 'starter kit', and intend to finally admit to myself that I must change my habits. Not sure I want to stop point blank...I'm a functional drinker...5-7 beers a night...but it's become such a habit and I feel like crap too much of the time and I just know I must be a better person.

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

Hi everybody

Just starting too. Got SKUNK DRUNK last week, moderated for the first time EVER over the weekend (actually had no choice since I'd get kicked out of my house if I got blasted again).

I'm feeling like I can do this with ALL the help - topa, the kudzu, this forum, maybe a consoler + SHEER WILL to SAVE MY FAMILY, MARRIAGE, CAREER AND LIFE.

Sooo happy to have this place to come to and chat - I do find it strange that everyone has different agendas so I guess I'll find out where I fit in.

+++Positive Note, it's Monday morning and I felt great and even booked a meeting, usually I hide in my office until I feel better.++++

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

Welcome all newbies!!

If you are feeling a bit lost navigating your way around the site, try joining one of the daily threads for support -- "Newbies Nest" is a great place to start.

You CAN do this:-)
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

Welcome

Hi I dont know if Im doing this right am new! Welcome and the best of luck!

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

Well here goes. New here! I spend monday to fridays in england working. I go home to Ireland on the Friday. This is when I drink. I have just started sharing accommodation with a friend and here daughter. I've lived on my own for years now and during the week when I'm in england I've noticed it is much easier for me to abstain. It is when I go back to Ireland for the weekend and am on my own trouble starts, mainly me! this is the time I find it difficult to not drink. I seem to work in extremes. I've just spend Friday evening all day saturday and sunday drinking on my own! Feel awful today, depression sets in. I hope to be able to moderate. This would be goal. Well just wanted to tell you a little about me!

Comment

Newbie Starting Out

Hi All,

Wow, the nest has lots of ducklings, great to see so many newbies, I mean in the sense that you have all found the courage to some here. I am a two week old newbie for those of you who dont know me. Im actually in the lounge at the airport bored, but better bored than drinking. Sunny days, how about spending a few weekends in London after the hols to break the habit? The off switch is now on (TOSINO), ezzme, pjkbrit, welcome in. keep coming. I wont be around for a two weeks but will be thinking of you and wishing you al strength over the hols.

See y'all in Jan
                      Live your life in such a way that
                      when your feet hit the floor in the morning,
                      Satan shudders & says...

'Oh sh*t the B!tch is awake!!'

Comment

Working...
                      X