how to start a new beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what makes one think that it is enjoyable to drink then to lose control, and start it all over the next day? i am looking to start a new life without the use of a drink .i plan on stopping at the local watering hole on dec 31 for a few then, come home and start for a new day begining,i am tired of telling myself that i am a funcitional acholic ,any tips greatly appreciated this is my first time in a long time trying to stop drinking all to gether.:new:

hey

hi there and welcome to MYO, great idea you have. the only advice i can give you is stay close to hear. read and post as much as you like. there are somany wonderful people here, always willing to help.

maybe download the book and have a read?

good luck and welcome

:welcome:

an alcoholic is someone you don't like, that drinks as much as you do

Comment

Hi again New Life. It was nice meeting you in chat tonight. Good for you on your decision to get alcohol out of your life in the coming New Year!

I agree that reading the book is a great start....it can really help you on putting together your personal plan. In my personal experience....I quit hundreds of times....only to go back to drinking in a short period of time. I kept thinking that I just couldn't accomplish the task of stopping and that I was just one more statistic.

I also considered myself a "Fuctional Alcoholic"......now I think that is a BS term used to keep on drinking! Yep...I still drove my car, had a good job, still had my family....all this inspite of the fact that I regularly drank myself into blackouts, frequently made an ass out of myself and "functioned" while fighting a hangover several days a week! Today I realize that the word "Functional" was a six cylinder engine, operating on only two cylinders.....the motor was still running, but was barely making it.....and making it with great distress!

Best Wishes!
      Kate
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hi, welcome to MWO.
        OK so you know you're going to stop on 1st Jan. That is a great start. Do you have any plans or strategies to help you stay Af (alcohol free)?
        Be gentle and calm with yourself, set small, achievable goals.
        I found that by changing my habitual patterns slightly, I was able to cut down heaps.... eg: not have the usual drink while fixing dinner, not using wine for the spag bol., walking the other way from the shop to avoid going past the bottle shop. etc.
        And, if you do trip up, just stand up again. And please don't beat yourself up if you do trip once in a while... all that does is make you feel bad..
        Go in with a positive attitude that you can beat this rather than dwelling on how hard it may be. We silly humans believe what we think.... So, think positive!!
        May you have a peaceful and bountiful 2009.

Comment

Welcome, New Life! I agree with much of what was said above and would also strongly suggest you read through the "Tool Box" thread, in the "Goals" section of the Forums. Making this major change involves making changes in the way you think and in your daily routines. Get a good solid plan, and follow it, no matter what!

Comment

Welcome, stay close.read and post lots.
            You have gotten great advise so far. Listen to WIPs saying that you must get a plan to succeed.
            If you don't plan to succeed then it requires no plan to fail...failure just happens.
            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hello and Welcome
              What a great gift to give yourself in the New Year!! I also suggest reading the book. If it is possible, get your doctor on board. I cannot use the meds; such as Topa, antabuse, campral because of other health issues, but I use the supps, the CD's, the forum, and sometimes Live Chat. Whatever it takes!!! Stay close by.
              "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

well i wish you well,in the new year,surprizing enuff you picked the hardest day of the year to stop,i noticed you said a few,you didnt say one or 2,try one or 2 and stop,most people like us cant ,normal or so called normal people dont think about it they just dont drink gyco have a geat new year

Comment

new life,

Buy yourself a present and purchase the My Way Out book. It's downloadable from this site, on Amazon, etc.

Be
                  "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Working...
                  X