Almost Slipped Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost Slipped Today

Today is day 6 AF for me. Went back to work after taking xmas week off. Day started fine and was busy catching up from the week off. Then about 3:00 pm the urge/craving started to hit. Started thinking of my normal routine, get in the truck after work, stop at the bar for a couple beers, then at the store for some beers to take home. Work is out and I'm driving thinking I deserve a beer I worked hard today. I'm thinking it's 12/29 so I'll drink today and start over with the new year. Called my wife and told her how I was feeling. She urged me to come home. The truck wanted to turn left real bad but I went straight home. Got home and went for a 30 minute run and had some dinner and the urge is gone.

Weird thing is that I thought the cravings/urges were strong last week when I was off, but they were nothing compared to today. I thought getting back to work would make it easier. I guess alcohol is very sneaky.

Almost Slipped Today

:goodjob:Willie!

We do have to watch out for Al.
    He snuck into my house with a visitor last week.
    In fact it was his cousin, Capt. Morgan.
    He thought he could mess up my family time! NOT!!!!

I'm glad that your wife talked you home without him!
    Keep up the exercise...it helps.

Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Almost Slipped Today

Congratulations Willie!!! Good thinking to call your wife and then head straight home to some exercise and food. For us addicts, our brains try everything in order to get a fix. It's challenging to be constantly on guard, but the REAL rewards are in the LIFE that is possible with sobriety. Real living instead of just existing - or at least that's how my booze laden life of mere existence felt.

Somewhere along the way I got it through my thick head that booze is NOT a reward, it's a punishment. Nothing rewarding about hangovers and all of the rest that goes with getting blotto.

Keep on keepin' on!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Almost Slipped Today

Good going, Willie!

Comment

Almost Slipped Today

Congrats Willie!!!! :l

Love,

Doodlebug
          :sun::heart::h:heart:

"My Happiness is Not Dependent on a Poisonous Chemical Depressant."

Comment

Almost Slipped Today

I know what you mean Willie. It seems some days after work I tell myself Im not stopping at the L store and almost subconsciously, there I am, parking, picking up a small "weeknighter" and driving home. Taking a swig, and then popping some gum. Then the guilt kicks in.

The days that I don't drink I feel soooo much better in the morning and I tell myself "Look Sundog.... think of how good you feel this morning.... " ... then at about 4pm the little fella on my shoulder (Capt. Morgan) whispers in my ear.

I'm actually thinking instead of starting on New Years day, to have my first AL-free New Years Eve in about 25 years.

Good on ya Willie.

Comment

Almost Slipped Today

The Routine Factor

Getting back into the work week routine was tuff for me too. I tried to take a different way home. That helped until I stopped at the gas station for smokes... Wine display right when I walked in. I didn't get any, but really? My boyfriend said the same thing. You would think the holidays would be worse. Well, I'm only only like hour 50...luckily without to many problems...super emotional and very sensetive to sounds. Way to go!

Comment

Almost Slipped Today

Wow, Great job! I could feel your struggle. I have been there so many times. I sometimes think that I deserve a drink after a particularly stressful night at work, but like DG said, it is not a reward, it is a punishment.
                "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Almost Slipped Today

Great job! I too find that when I am complacent and in my routine is when the beast tries to sneak in. Learning our triggers and finding "work arounds" is a big part of the fight! Keep the faith!
                  "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Almost Slipped Today

Thanks for all your responses. They helped me get thru another day today.

Comment

Working...
                    X