been a.f for 2 days.now need to start over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive been alchohol dep for about 7 years its taken over my life.not had a drink for 2 days now and feeling awfull. sick . shaking . caint sleep. and thinking about drinking every minute ov every day . so tonight i was surfing the web lookin to see what advice i can get i found a web site that seem to descrbe all my symptoms and offer good advice .but. it said if u are alcohol dependent do not go cold turkey it can cause u harm it even used the word fatal in one sentance . the advice it give was to slow down then stop. after reading this i got worred and the first thing i did was have a drink. however 2 hours later my wife finds this web site. need advice from members that have gone cold turkey and how safe it is . im feelin so sad right now and dissapointed in myself for having a drink and now need to start over

well..I'm real new and not in wonderful shape to give advice except that if you are feeling that bad, you should not be going cold turkey without the supervision of a rehab center or certainly a Dr. at the very least. :welcome:

Comment

Hi Dave,
      I was alcohol dependent and started drinking even in the morning to avoid the shakes before I quit 5 months ago. I quit cold turkey and did not have too much trouble. For me, getting away from booze completely was what I needed and still need. If you have delirium or really bad shakes you might want to get a prescription from your Dr to help you thru. I think cold turkey is best because....as long as you drink you will have strong craving. The cravings begin to subside when you put some time distance between you and alcohol. That being said, some people need medical attention for their withdrawal and go to the emergency room. The truth is, everyone is different in how it affects them. Don't take any chances if you have a really rough time-go to the hosp if you need to. Best Wishes on your journey. Stay with us on this forum...you will find lots of great advice and make lots of friends. Welcome, Dave. Kriger
      "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Dave. Everyone is different, and it depends on how much and how often you were drinking. Some people need to wean off of alcohol, others can quit cold turkey with no side effects.

Anyway, welcome. There is a daily log in (to keep us honest) in the monthly abstainance section.

:welcome:

Comment

Welcome, Dave! You are making a good decision in going AF. It is not easy, especially the first few days. But it is important not to give up, no matter what! Good luck to you on your journey!
          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Hi Dave. Dont beat yourself up. Just start over again! Its a new year, make the commitment to change for a new you.
            I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Dave,

AWS is nothing to take lightly. Unfortunately, none of us can give you advice on going cold turkey.

I do know people who have had seizures doing it. Not good.

If there is anyway you can get to a doctor and get a script for Librium or another benzo for one week's worth, explaining that you are withdrawing from alcohol, that would be best.

Otherwise, you may have to wean off. (A really hard way to do it but with your wife around, let her give you your "doses" as increasing intervals until you are down to something small daily that you can stop on.) For me, weaning meant caving and getting drunk again.

Some go cold turkey and never have an issue, though. It is entirely dependent on the unique person you are.

I have always taken the "safe" route and gone to the doctor and gotten meds.

I hope my last script for Librium has been taken. I, too, want to be free from this poison the rest of my life.

Good luck to you and :welcome:
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
              X