Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODAT Tuesday

Hi everyone.

Back from the holidays and finally got internet connection (at the office) again.

I hope you all had a great festive season and managed to overcome the many challenges.

I am on day 27 now and feeling great. Though I obviously struggle at times I am getting used to this AF thing now.

I am very glad to be back and am looking forward to tackling the new year with allof you.
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

ODAT Tuesday

Good Morning From Florida!

I just joined 3 days ago (3 Days AF); and I think I feel better. I am just concerned about this weekend. As a binge drinker my downfall was always Friday Night. Did you have any problems on the weekends? how did you make it past places where/when you used to drink? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Grateful
    My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Well done on the three days Aidan.

If you are willing to stop drinking completely (as opposed to moderate). I would recommend Antabuse. That is what has enabled me to make it past the bars and the weekends. Antabuse builds an Alcohol intollerance in your body so that you basically get sick pretty much instantly if you touch a drop. (if you stop taking them the effects wear off after 5-14 days.)

For me that was the solution as it simply took the choice to drink away. However it might not be the solution for you and it is also a prescription drug (I am not sure if there is a generic?)
      AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Thanks for the great info.

I have been checking riverpharmacy online and wondering what I should order. I will check with my doctor next tuesday and wait to order then. I was going to order topomax, as that is mentioned the most here, and I'm not sure I want to make myself sick anymore. Does the medicine you take give you the feeling of being lightheaded or 'on' something. Do you think you will always have to take it?

Just curious, and very appreciative.
        My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Hi guys

Like stinks here at the moment. The last 8 weeks have been hell with things happening outside our control messing up our lives. Does it drive me to drink? No because I know that it would just make everything worse. At this stage, I probably couldn't afford to at the moment anyway.

Aidenspapa, what I would advise is to completely change your routine. I liked a drink late Saturday afternoon, so instead I started to take the kids swimming. Sundays without a hangover meant that I was less likely to have that first drink just to make myself feel better. If Friday night is a bad time, head out for dinner, go to the movies, go for a walk. Anything where you are not sitting at home thinking about AL.

Welcome back johnnyh and a big congrats on your AF days.

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

hey Aidan.

No it doesn't make me lightheaded (It might have on the first 2 or 3 days. not so sure.).

The idea is that it doesn't make you sick. Drinking is really no option here at all.

The drug is more psychological than anyghin else (i.e. it doesn't help the craving.) It just helps you get out of the routine of drinking. I am planning to take it for a couple of months (up to 6 I guess) and try without.
            AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Thanks Ezz.

Maybe go to the gym Friday early evening. It should leave you feeling energetic and healthy and might help you keep your motivatin not to drinkg?!
              AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

I think with me, drinking is part routine, part "reflex reaction" to strong emotions (yes, even including Happiness!).

The routine part is, "oh, it's Fri. night" (or whenever!) so that means I drink. The reflex part is, "I feel frustrated, angry - you name it" so the only way to handle it is to drink!

On an intellectual level, we all know that's Stupid. Yet we find such creative ways to justify it.

Day 3 here. For me, personally, the reflex part - handling my emotions - is the hardest.

Anyway, good luck to all!
                Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Good morning ODATers! In a rush to get a workout in before work. Hope everyone meets their goals today! 3 weeks for me today. Feel like I'm on a roll.
                  Bridget

" little by little, we travel far "
                  - Tolkein

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Well done for the 3 weeks bridget. Fells great doesn't it?!!!! Have a gr8 day!!
                    AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Hi guys,

Easy AF/NF day for me yesterday. I think the fact that I still have this stubborn cold (3 weeks and counting - damn thing won't let go) makes it easier to not drink. And the fact that I'm on antibiotics. I really want my 30 days this time, just for me as my own personal accomplishment. I think that I can really do it this time, feeling pretty good about it.

I took 3 calms forte and actually slept for 6 hours straight last night! That never happens and the calms forte have never worked for me before so not sure why they did last night - not going to question it though, just really hope that it works again tonight.

Hope everyone has a great day - I'll check in later, off to work!
                      Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                      :h

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Hey Uni.

Hope your cold gets better soon. I wish that type of thing would keep me from drinking. Antibiotics and sickness were never a good enough excuse for me not to drink.
                        AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

I hope you are feeling better soon Uni. I hate those stubborn colds.

Some things in my life are causing me anxiety at the moment. I don't know if this happens to other people but I cannot and have never been able to drink in times of crisis. It is almost like some instinct kicks in because it would be only make things worse. Hopefully the crisis will pass soon but in the mean time I wouldn't be tempted to drink. An upside to a downside.

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Hi all ODATer's ----Thanks for starting the daily thread and welcome back JohnnyH ... and congratulations on day 27!
                            Savvy ---- I can relate --- the reflex to pour a drink when emotions run high ... be it sadness, happiness, stress, etc. etc.!
                            Still not sleeping well, but got a few hours in last night. Amazed how good I feel though, even with little sleep ... so much better than the foggy head after a wine-induced sleep!

This is my first day 6! I'm so happy!

Comment

ODAT Tuesday

Well done on day six New Day.

I'm out of here. 4.30pm now and work finished for the day. Have a good rest of the day!!
                              AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X