Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new here - and I need help

Hi Tinkerbell. Welcome.

My advise for Day one (and beyond) is to keep yourself very busy around those danger times. Maybe go for a workout at night. Meet with some (nonalcoholic) friends. Keep yourself distracted rather than battling your cravings on a minute to minute basis. Otherwise consider meds?! Anycase. Wish you well for your journey and keep posting. We are all in the same boat.
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Stress head

Hi Tinkerbelle.

Gee I relate, that's why I am here. drink every night and wake up in the morning so sure that I won't do that again tonight, but always cave in. I am an Australian as well. bbq's fun by the pool, it is a great time of year. I am waiting for my supps and meds to arrive and then I hope to beat this thing. Would love to stay in touch with you.

Stress head

Comment

talking about Australia. You guys were damn lucky today at the cricket!! :P looking forward to seeing your team in SA next month.
        AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Welcome Tink. As you can see, you will get lots of support here. Hang in there.
          sigpic

Comment

Me too.

Hi Tink:

I can only image how hard this is going to be. I found this web site yesterday and planned to make it my first day AF. It didn't work out that way. I was able to restrain myself to only three large glasses of wine. Not a great start I guess.

Let's hope that both of us are able to keep busy with something else tonight.
            :new:

Comment

:upset:
              Well all of your wonderful words of wisdom did not help..... here I am back at day one again, tonight i will be AF for the first time in a long time

I am ready this time.

Stresshead - would love to stay in touch esp if you are in Australia

Comment

Hi Tink & Stresshead - I'm in Australia too. Count me in. Day 4 and struggling a bit right now with my head.
                AC x x

Comment

I need help please

Hi, I have been on before a year ago and was doing quite well but I had convinced myself that when really nothing had changed. The things that have happened in my life are disgusting and I need to sort myself out before one day I put myself at risk and don't arrive home. When I leave work buying drink is the first thing I think of and make reasons of why today is a drinking day. I have hurt so many people, lost friends, upset family, been in hospital injured etc etc etc. I will loose my job if I'm not carefull, when oh when will I actually learn that I cannot drink Like others do sensibly, I'm different but when having my first drink I always think I am the same. I have a awful reputation as a drinker and this is not who I want to be. I was so inspired by this site previously and need to stick to chatting to you guys this time.

I do hope that you will chat and inspire me, I'm running out or chances

Comment

hi tink,
                    i think you are my TWIN!! I am on opening that second bottle as well. Every time I finish one bottle, my husband gets irritated and says, "You know that's not good for you." My response is always, well "I'm not drunk." For the longest time, i thought alcoholism was falling down slurring words, etc. when in reality I was numb and buzzed and drinking a whole bottle and going to the second so I could feel drunk...that's called tolerance and boy do I have one now! I found this site a few days ago too and went the first night with only 2 glasses (this is GOOD!); then the 2nd night with NOTHING (wow!) and then last night with a glass and a half and a LARGE mixed drink ....so I guess what my advice is that we need a plan....get the book and supplements ..I've ordered mine but don't have them yet so I feel I'm just bouncing around out here...probably how you feel. You've made the committment in your mind and WANT to do this but have no plan....I think we're wobbly at first trying to do this in our minds....try to be patient till the book comes...that's what I'm doing....the book says do 30 days alcohol free which will be HARD HARD for me, ..until then I'm trying to go every other night without, which means tonight I need nothing. hang in there and wait for the book and vitamins...apparently those are what really help!!!! P.S. I am trying to get addicted to sparkling water with lime...I even drink it out of my nicest wine glasses...:-)
                    Part of learning is getting it Wrong.
                    The past is gone forever. Keep it Moving.

Comment

I am hearing myself reflected in so many posts here.

Addiction is too powerful to make it on your own. I am finding the site so helpful. I also try to read as much as possible to keep motivated.

Changing behaviour is essential. My dogs are loving my sober days, it means joyful walks or runs.

Eat sensibly and drinks lots of fluid. Remember, our bodies now interpret any hunger or thirst as an invitation to the bottle.

It's hard, but it's worth it.

Comment

Trying is succeeding

Tinkerbell, J38 and Keg...and everyone
                        I am reading your posts and can sense some despair, but above all that is the sense of your strength and your willingness to share. I think you/we all have issues past and present that are triggers for us. :upset:We let these triggers rule us and affect our choices in such a negative fashion.

I am in therapy now and searching for answers, for reasons, why I choose to drink. The psycho hateful mother is an obvious trigger, and I have--on the advice of my therapist and so many on this site--distanced myself from here.

I can't do anything about the past--sexual violence, horrid divorce from first abusive husband, years of poverty and struggle. I need to learn how to deal with present triggers and remember that I have great kids and a fantastic husband now. Yet I still drink.

I love this site where I can read about the fight and triump of others. Where I can say my piece without judgement. where I can say I messed up and get unconditional support.

MWO is like a great functional family.

Comment

Working...
                        X