starting over again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting over again

believe me when i say it they bring people down with valium slowly go to an emergency ward,and commit yourself,for something obnoxious and see where it gets you

Comment

starting over again

have any of you folks been treated curious

Comment

starting over again

they call it wiillpower,somthing we dont have,are you folks on persciption drugs.get off of them and see what happens,specially if your on a anti depressent

Comment

starting over again

if you tht elvis shook raddled and rood good luck

Comment

starting over again

Gyco, honey, I think she get's the point. She asked for our opinions and we gave them.

I have been treated before. I went to detox 2x within a few months of each other (7 day stay for each). I know how the whole coming off of alcohol works. They didn't give me any meds; they made us drink TONS of water and eat 3 meals + 2 snacks a day. They monitored our blood pressure in the morning and at night. Oh and they gave us a super B complex vitamin at lunch.

The ones that had bad withdrawals were given meds to help them. One guy, while I was there the second time, had a massive seizure his 3rd day there. No word of a lie. This guy was only 34 at the time. He looked fairly healthy on the outside but his body couldn't handle the withdrawal. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance and was there for several days. Severely dehydrated etc....

So, depending on the person, who knows what could happen. Not to scare you either kendall. If my doctor said wean; then I would. But you have to stick with the plan. It would be easy to start drinking a bottle again. OR see another doctor and get some meds, as Cindi said.

All the best.

Comment

starting over again

Hi - I'm new here and this is my first time posting. I'm a wine drinker too, but to answer your question, a colleague of mine has a brother who had a seizure recently - he stopped drinking, but he was a gin drinker and I think he would binge drink a lot. I wouldn't think you would have to worry about quitting cold turkey. I've been in a rehab overseas (Australia), and all of us at the time quit cold turkey, but I suppose some may have been on meds.

I'm starting over again now - only on day four without a drink, but I'm hoping this site and all that comes with it, the people and everything else, will help me stay sober.

Kind Regards.:new:

Comment

starting over again

thanks so much to all of you for your response! So very helpful. I have been drinking every day for at least 5 years. Have had alcohol problems for over 20 years. Lots of blackouts and anxiety. Dr. said she can give me camprel and some other meds... any input on if these really help? Went 17days, longest in 20 years, cravings got me! Anxiety is horrible at first... here we go again!
                Kendall

Comment

starting over again

I drank at least 2 bottles of wine a night and slip in a vodka drink in between and the only experience of withdrawals is sweating, headaches which I never had before but I don't think you need to be weaned off. I am also taking milk thistle which helps with cravings and also helps the liver function.

Comment

starting over again

Hi, sounds like you drink about the same level as me - circa 1 bottle or a little bit more a night of wine. I am just starting Day 4 and all I've had is a bit of a headache on Days 1 & 2 and that is it. This is my first time trying too so I am not knowing what to expect but so far I feel better than when I am drinking. Not sleeping great yet but then I didn't sleep great on wine either.

Good that you've sought out advice from the professionals but maybe you could seek a 2nd opinion from your Doc or something to have your mind put at rest.

AC x x x

Comment

starting over again

gyco,
                      you are RUDE! I am trying to do the best I can here and don't appreciate your nasty comments! Thanks for your support but no thanks. you are an ass

Comment

starting over again

Hi Kendall.

Everyone is different. Some have worse withdrawl symptoms than others. A lot depends on age, weight , body type, amount of booze, length of use, male/female, etc...

If you feel really bad, trust your doctor....

Comment

starting over again

Kendall, just ignore Gyco.

Like that old saying: Take what you need and leave the rest.

Stick with us. OK? I am glad you are here.

Comment

starting over again

You might ask your doctor for something called clorazepam, I'm not sure about the spelling. It is mild and slowly released into your system and eases the anxiety of withdrawal.

Sometimes it helps to tell doctors what you want. Sometimes

Take care and I hope you keep posting !

kit
                            AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                            Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

starting over again

kendall jackson;515234 wrote: thanks so much to all of you for your response! So very helpful. I have been drinking every day for at least 5 years. Have had alcohol problems for over 20 years. Lots of blackouts and anxiety. Dr. said she can give me camprel and some other meds... any input on if these really help? Went 17days, longest in 20 years, cravings got me! Anxiety is horrible at first... here we go again!
                              Kendall
                              Hi, I am on day 17 coming from my 24/7 wine (2 bottles daily) and vodca (In the middle of the night with juice!). I had a hollow leg. Plus sometimes I would drink. HAHA! I've been drinking since I was 20 years old and today is my 58 birthday. For some odd reason I am healthy and look and feel young.

I have stopped drinking by using Naltrexone and Baclofen. I mention this because I am under extreme stress in my life at the moment and I truly believe the Baclofen usage is extremely helpful in combating anxiety. I am calm in the face of an extremely major storm. It is most amazing. I really just thought of this recently.

If you want more info, PM (personal message) me.

Comment

starting over again

I have never had withdrawels, only cravings.

What one has to understand is that alcohol works on the neurotransmitors. It clicks into certain neurotransmittors like a key into a lock. Once there is even one sip of alcohol going into your blood stream, it sets of a physiological reaction, whereby the body will move heaven and earth to complete the proccess. This is why many of us will drink until we pass out or vomit.

You cannot wean off alcohol, I repeat, you cannot wean off alcohol. That is why we all log into this website and fight so hard for sobriety. Even the mods are encouraged to go off alcohol for a month before making a decision.

If the doc is concerned about cravings, them meds can be used.

I was drinking about 10 units of alcohol, mostly wine a day. I am a very small female, weighing in at close to 50kg. Withdrawals have not been a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X