Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Just read in my daughter' s facebook..

"And then I felt sad because I realized that once people are broken in certain ways, they can't ever be fixed, and this is something nobody ever tells you when you are young and it never fails to surprise you as you grow older as you see the people in your life break one by one. You wonder when your turn is going to be, or if it's already happened. " /Douglas Coupland. /
    The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
    /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Newbies Nest

WickedMom;1209502 wrote:
      - I am also waiting for the day when the urges are all in the past. I would actually love to experience a day when I don?t even think about wine, drinking or alcohol at all. Has that happened to anyone here yet? Lav? Byrdlady? Gregorino? Is booze something that is going to take up space in my mind for the rest of my life? I wish I could just get it out of my head forever....
      Wishing everyone here a happy and successful Wednesday!
      WickedMom
      It does come...First you'll be at a point where only a fleeting thought occurs once in awhile, then you'll climb into bed one night and realize you haven't thought about drinking for the last 3 or 4 days. I started doing the abstinence hypnotherapy CD's daily about Day 10 and found them to be very helpful. Lately, I have just used them a couple times a week to reinforce the new pattern of thought (I am a non-drinker!)
      -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

noal;1209569 wrote: Thank you MWO. Today is day 30...I made my first goal.

No more head aches.
        No more guilt.
        No more worrying about driving drunk.
        Wife is happy.
        I am am happy,
        Kids don't have to worry any more.
        Family time is now well spent....there is peace in the family.
        On top of things at work.
        Feeling and looking healthy.
        Eating healthy.
        Being productive at home rather than laying around feeling sick.
        Did it just in time for the fall walleye bite.
        Basement is done.
        Garage is clean.
        Yard is clean.
        Truck is clean.
        Sons car is winterized.
        Christmas lights are ready to hang.
        Up and ready to go at 5:00 a.m. like I used to be.

I am kicking this thing......because of:.

Everyone on MWO...new and old.
        The tool box
        Campral
        Being open and getting support from family
        Staying busy out side of work.
        Sticking to my plan

Next goal is 60 days and here I come.

Good luck to all!
        CONGRATS NOAL!!!
        -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Birthday Cap G and Belle!!! Happy Sober Birthday....the best gift of all! I hope it has been awesome for you!!! xxoo, B
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

WOW!

Birthday twins tomorrow :yay:
            We'll get the party started early!

Audrey - I don't believe in that passage you quoted.......do you really believe people are forever broken? I'm a firm believer that we can do anything we want to do. The problem is in getting some people to want to get better/improve

Expect a package any time now Cap'n

OK, time to wish the nesters a safe night in the nest. It rained all day here & I heard on th evening news that the Philadelphia area has just broken the record for the wettest year ever!!!!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the Birthday Wishes!

I'll be 55 on 11/17 - GAD! Does that make me a senior citizen?

I sure don't feel like a senior! Thanks to my saying goodbye (and good riddance!) to AL back in July, I am feeling and looking better than I have in a long, long time.

55 is just a number.

I have a brand new life in front of me - time for Chapter Two!

Be calm and stay strong!
              -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

noal;1209569 wrote: Thank you MWO. Today is day 30...I made my first goal.

No more head aches.
                No more guilt.
                No more worrying about driving drunk.
                Wife is happy.
                I am am happy,
                Kids don't have to worry any more.
                Family time is now well spent....there is peace in the family.
                On top of things at work.
                Feeling and looking healthy.
                Eating healthy.
                Being productive at home rather than laying around feeling sick.
                Did it just in time for the fall walleye bite.
                Basement is done.
                Garage is clean.
                Yard is clean.
                Truck is clean.
                Sons car is winterized.
                Christmas lights are ready to hang.
                Up and ready to go at 5:00 a.m. like I used to be.

I am kicking this thing......because of:.

Everyone on MWO...new and old.
                The tool box
                Campral
                Being open and getting support from family
                Staying busy out side of work.
                Sticking to my plan

Next goal is 60 days and here I come.

Good luck to all!
                Right on Noal!! 30 days is totally AWESOME........
                Attached files [img]/converted_files/1708293=6929-attachment.jpg[/img]
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Newbies Nest

The goodies arrived today Ms. Lav - I resisted opening the box as The Admiral is not always as sentimental as her First Mate.

When she got home and asked me why I hadn't opened it up yet, I told her that I was saving it in case there weren't any other presents to open tomorrow. She immediately took the entire box and covered it in birthday wrapping! HA!

Looking forward to tearing into it tomorrow!
                  -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well - the BF will be here shortly for one night on his way to a trip south...so since I can't spend as much time online tonight - I wanted to wish everyone an AF free night. :-)

I'll be online a little while but not much longer - I believe I have plans. ;-)

That being said - Happy Birthday Captain G! I am so glad you are here!

Really - I was thinking today that I am very fortunate. Without y'all - this journey to getting healthy would be so much harder. So - thank you for support - kicks in the butt - and everything.

I still don't know about the job - starting to look like Friday. Ugh.

Day 21 - comes to a close. Today I was stronger than AL.
                    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                    Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                    AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening to all, just getting into bed, very busy day and I am pooped... saying good night to day 7... feels assume.. will catch on all the posts in the morning... thank you all so much for your support

Comment

Newbies Nest

Audrey - I don't believe in that passage you quoted.......do you really believe people are forever broken? I'm a firm believer that we can do anything we want to do. The problem is in getting some people to want to get better/improve

Lav
                        I think this passage is mostly about emotional pain which we get in childhood..something we can heal, something we can forget, something we can fix..but not all..and some pain from the past follows us all entire life..there are people with almost perfect childhood and parents in the past and they' re happy in their adult lifes too..
                        About AL - there is hope to fix, it' s chemical addiction but mostly emotional addiction comes first than it goes to the next step - chemical..At least for me it was like that.
                        I read yestarday research work about anxiety and fear in childhood (there are many factors and circumstancies), how it goes later in adult life and how it influencies addictions, including AL.
                        The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
                        /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters

Congrats Noal with 30 days! - I can see it makes a huge difference in your life.
                          Happy B-day Cap'n G & BelleGirl!!
                          Unwasted - I take note on your different point of view when it comes to enabling.
                          Irie - I like the new way of thinking...Suppose it could be applied to approaching old relationships in a new way...

I didn't give in to AL last night. And just because of you nesters giving me so much hope with your progress, I will endure day 7!!

Have a good day.
                          12-20-2012 AF
                          Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Unwasted my relationship with my DH is the same, I feel so bad for him because when we met he was merely a social drinker and never drank at home and now I have 'coverted' him into my way of thinking and am dragging him down with me I feel he just goes along with the drinking because he thinks it is what I want but I wish he would just say NO! I too feel like people who don't drink are strange but I know in my sane head that is ridiculous!

Unwasted;1209641 wrote: SH - I want to throw in a little different take on your situation. Of course, the dynamics in families are complex so it's not easy to explain exactly what's going on because it would take volumes to try to describe all the interactions between relationships.

I know this, though. My husband loves me dearly - and it's really taken him a long time to truly get how horrible alcohol is for me. Whenever I start to make excuses to drink he goes along. So, he is an enabler even though he loves me. It wasn't until I really laid it out in a very serious way that he started to understand and change. But, he's not an alcoholic. If your husband/family members are, then they probably won't be able to grasp what's going on with you right now. I know when I drank I thought people who didn't were absolutely nuts. Now that I've developed a problem, my thinking has changed 180 degrees.

But as others have said, you have to take care of you no matter what. If any of my family members were a hindrance to my sobriety I'd have to make big changes just like you've done.

Just wanted to throw that in because there are lots of angles and different situations - as many as there are people, really.

Sending you peace and strength.
                            Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

PS just sneaked back into the nest there - sorry hello again everyone!
                              Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Way to go Noal! 30 days seemed impossible only a few weeks back but watch out, I'm not far behind you!

Audrey, that's just so sad. Not so long ago I'd been busy at work and hadn't had time to eat all day. I work from home, in a corner of our kitchen. My daughter said 'You didn't find time to walk to the fridge to get something to eat, but you managed to find time to pour yourself some wine'. I think it was one of the most hurtful moments for me, horrible when your kids realise that their parents are not infallible. On Day 25 AF today, largely thanks to my daily visits to read the wisdom written here, daily meditation and a weekly AA meeting, my daughter hasn't said anything but I know she's noticed. I don't believe what she wrote was true. I think we can ALL be healed. Big hugs, you can do this x
                                AL free since 24 October 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X