Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Noon time check in for me

Itis a busy week for all of us it seems - one way or the other!
    Regardless of what you are facing this week please just remember AL will not help, only add harm to the situation. Yuo can bet on that

I have never regretted a moment of my AFness. I am stronger & healtier & better able to handle anything that comes my way. Hang in there everyone!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle, I love the saying from your friend's father...how true. :-)

Prairie...you made me cry...the words from your father and your conclusions..."So one of the things I worry about - is what did I say to my kids - that I don't remember - that shaped them in ways I don't know? And would it make me proud or break my heart." kind of says it all for me.

I hope everyone's going to stay strong through the holiday weekend here in the US...

One thing I thought of while skipping around here a little reading here and there....is that no one can expect to stop drinking from outside "circumstance" that just happens. Possibly that might happen in an extreme circumstance of a health emergency or something but that's not what i"m talking about. We can't expect to read a book, or read someone's words, or just wake up one morning and say huh? that's funny! I have no urge to drink anymore! It doesn't happen that way.

We are not motivational speakers...we are speaking from our souls and hoping that we keep listening to our own words, and also hope that maybe just maybe? someone else might benefit. If someone says "I had some strong urges - but I got through them" it's really hard for the rest of us to actually imagine how hard it really was. But don't think that you should give in, because your urges are different or stronger - dig deep and really think about the consequences - I'm approaching 60 days and am still struggling at times...I most likely always will. I guess what I'm saying is it's ok to struggle - it might look easy when you read others' posts, but we are all in the same boat. No one dishes out advice without the hope of actualy helping someone else through their own experience.

I wish I could put it in a bottle and sell it. That certainty - that acceptance - without regret - that comes from recognizing that you can be alcohol free and that its a wonderful thing. I thought I got it. But it definitely takes time...it's a feeling that evolves from actually being out from under the cloud of alcohol. You can't stop drinking and on day 4 have all the realizations that come from being AF for 60 days...just like I can't at 60 days have all the realizations that I will have at 6 months or a year....I am looking forward to all the other things I learn along the way.

Congrats, Belle - you're awesome! But I bet you or prairie or anyone else around 30 days could not have imagined 30 days ago, that you'd be inspiring someone else....And just think even two weeks ago, how far you've come....it's amazing. Its nice to be evolving rather than being stuck on that damn rollercoaster ride.
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lola - I was in the depths of despair.

I thought I would lose everybody I cared about. I was losing me.

I didn't think I could do this. I was terrified to try because I was afraid to fail.

If you asked then did I think I'd make it this far - I'd have said no - no the first time.

But everytime I came close to stumbling there was always a reason to stop myself. And now - I know it's habit - I can fight habit. I can tell habit where to go. I've lived through the first 13 days - I don't want to do that again. That's plenty of motivation some days.

I just reach into my core - remind myself of how bereft I was, how empty and hopeless. And I say to myself I will not go back. I've worked too hard. And if it's one 10 minute increment of fighting habit at a time - so be it.

There are people who depend on me - including •me•. And while what I was able to do was good - I know I have better. And I am determined to give it.
        That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
        Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 4 Nesties! Woo!
          Cooking and cleaning all morning and just sat down to lunch. I have a lot of energy today.
          Seems like when I clean the cObwebs out of my head, I'm able to clean the cobwebs out of my life and get things organized.
          I was cleaning out some clothes and I found beer caps in my drawers? :x
          Day 1 again 11/5/19
          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just stopped by for a inoculation of good sense. This feels like a perfect day to drink, for me. Kids home from school, everybody in and cozy from the cold nasty wind and rain, and prepping to make pumpkin pie and cranberry orange relish with my daughter. Nowhere to go, so don't have to worry about driving. Why does a drink (which we all know is never "a" drink) pop into my mind? I guess old habits die hard. So glad that I can come here and be reminded why I do not need AL. Is is so easy to fall...
            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi I'm new here. I keep deciding to quit and then keep drinking ! Each time I think I'll just have a couple of glasses of wine and then I end up not bring able to stop, something seems to spiral in my head and I am somehow driven to drink. It's so weird! Does anyone else get this feeling ?
              45 days AF 24/11/11 - Jan 2012.
              New day 1- 9 January !
              Back again 27 May 2012 - day 1

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Australia! Oh yes it's Avery familiar feeling! Youre not alone
                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle the thought has popped into my head a couple times today. Cooking, hanging out like you said - always does it to me.

Just glad we're not letting the thought get far!
                  ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Packing all my goodies for the party at my friends house tomorrow - and I felt sad there was no big fat Barolo's in my bags...

It's about the habit... "What do you mean a holiday without the AL? How will I survive?!"

Remind yourself Prairie - the same way you did until you were old enough to buy your own AL. Without any. So - that leaves you 21 years of experience to draw on - put on your big girl britches and quit moaning about what you can't have & be thankful for what you do have.

Sorry - I had to give myself a PF self talk so I would quit being a whiny baby about no vino tomorrow. I am done now. Sorry you got to "group watch" me spanking myself for bad mental behavior.
                    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                    Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                    AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. My mom thinks I choose to do this. She doesn't understand the brain thing!
                      New day 1- 9 January !

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done prarie!!! That's what I often think, like I was ok before I knew about alcohol and I dealt with stuff pretty ok!
                        New day 1- 9 January !

Comment

Newbies Nest

I always feel it when cooking, it's such a trigger.
                          New day 1- 9 January !

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lolab...I took a shower to "reset" myself, and then made a nice hot cup of tea. Made the pie, will do the cranberry relish later. Had to expedite making dinner which will be ready soon. Once I sit down to dinner I am out of danger.

Good job with the self talk, PF. I love the idea of "put on your big girl britches and quit moaning about what you can't have & be thankful for what you do have." Thanks for that reminder.
                            BelleGirl

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Australia. You will have a lot in common with the good folks here. As they say here:welcome:...put on some butt velcro and nest straps and join us in the nest!
                              BelleGirl

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, I just wanted to wish those of you celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow a very happy and successful day. I hope your goals come to fruition and we all find that small something to be thankful for. I know I do.
                                "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

Working...
                                X