Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Just a quick post to keep me accountable. Leaving work and craving a bottle of wine. If I can make it home without stopping for one, I'll be okay.

Damn, this is hard! Making a commitment to myself that I will stay AF tonight no matter how hard it is. I know that's what I want.
    ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
    -----------------------------------
    Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey, Prairie...how are you today????

I have a question. I got the natural calm stuff. The container says to split it up during the day but I take other mag supplement in the morning. And you said it's supposed to help with sleep if you take at night. How much are you taking at night?
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters! Happy Tues night!

Irie: I hope this finds you home without a bottle...you have been doing great, keep up the good work. And if you did buy a bottle and are reading this...it's not too late to stop. Give it away or take it back tomorrow. You'll feel so much stronger tomorrow.

Lolab-You do so well keeping up with everyone, I'm impressed girl! Oh, and I have a chocolate bar you would adore: Sea Salt Caramel Crunch by Equal Exchange. It's made from organic and fair trade chocolate to boot. There is a gelato company in Portland, Maine, who makes the most decadent flavor of organic gelato...Sea Salt Caramel Almond...to die for!

Minstar-I need to get my hands on a copy of that Jason Vale book...are you liking it so far?

I've still been having those witching hour thoughts on my walk home from work. I think it is because AL was such a big part of my life for so long and not having that drink(s) at the end of the day means a part of me has died. I know it's in a good way, but it is still like loosing a part of yourself. Do you guys know what I mean? I know I am on the right track and I am really looking forward to the day when my sobriety becomes second nature and I don't feel like something is missing at 5 O'Clock somewhere....

Here's to another sober day. I hope my post isn't depressing because that's not how I feel at all. If anything I am happier than I ever was when I was caught in the rut of drinking. But, as Brydie mentioned, it's amazing how much of a hold AL has on us (at least, I think it was Byrd that said that).

Lovely evening to all! Looking forward to a nice day off tomorrow and an added bonus...our new stove is being delivered in the morning....yay!!! I almost forgot about it till we got the reminder call on voicemail tonight. That's something to look forward too!
        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
        :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

o Blondie that sounds heavenly...what's there not to like? I might have to google where to buy it. and travel to Portland...

Yep those thoughts stick around longer than you think! I'm here to tell you that I still get them but I guarantee you that they are becoming less and less. I just read a post was it lifechange? timpin? shoot, I can't remember - who said about the pathways in the brain and that makes such total sense to me. Because I know the alcohol was gone from my system a long time ago...and it isn't even always at habitual times that I will get that feeling....strange.

Enjoy your stove - that IS exciting!!!! Gas? Electric? Dual Fuel????
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

It was Mylife!!! Thanks for that! Sorry for missing giving you credit above...:-)
            ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

lifechange - for me, when I "entertain the thought" that getting a bottle of wine or having a drink is a possibility, that's what opens the door to the angst and my mind goes into the "want wine! want wine!" mantra. What's changed? I don't entertain the thought anymore. When it occurs to me that I can stop on the way home and get a bottle - I just tell myself "it aint gonna happen" - then I don't have to worry about it anymore. Its a muscle that gets stronger. You might have to tell yourself "no" all night long. It gets easier. Try it -what will happen if you don't drink tonight?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello All

have not had time to go back and catch up for the night but just wanted to tell Blondie... that out of the ashes (death of the AL part of our life) rises the Phoenix!!!!

makiing oatmeal cookies .... haven't done that in years and they are so good.. I have had 3.... I have to give them away tomorrow so I won't eat them all!!!

I'll go and catch up later tonight and see you all then... in the meantime hope everyone in the nest is doing great...Irie.. hope you can pass on that bottle of wine... think cookies!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Whew! Made it home WITHOUT stopping for wine. Whoohoo! On a scale of 1 to 10 that was a 10. I was literally salivating at the intersection where I had to decide if I was going to the store or not! Without a doubt this site saved me tonight.

I'm going to log of to get dinner going, but will be back later this evening to see how everyone else is fairing and do a proper post.

One quick thought...it's amazing to me that since the cravings hit, peaked and now have subsided is less than an hour! Good to know for next time. I can handle anything for an hour.
                  ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                  -----------------------------------
                  Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

That's friggin amazing irie!!!! Yeah!
                    ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes Irie! Amazing! Doesn't it feel good to kick AL's ass for once instead of the other way around???
                      Just like I'm Here says, when that thought pops in your head, say NO, HELL NO! Like a drill sergeant would say ....and get that thought OUT of your head. Stay out of the rabbit hole....get control of your mind just that way. It works!
                      Well done! B
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

YEAH IRIE! You beat it! What an inspiration! I hope you enjoy a lovely dinner and will sleep well tonight, knowing that you are not going to wake up hungover. Cue in themesong from FAME: "WHAT A FEELING!"!!! Hey, corney, but a perfect song to celebrate a great victory! Thanks for keeping us posted Irie.

Lolab-If you go to Portland, I may have to hitch a ride .

Herbie, I love your wise words "out of the ashes, rises the Phoenix". Wow, that is quite powerful imagery there and I for sure will be thinking of it when I am feeling like I have "lost" a part of myself in giving up AL. What I am gaining is so much better. Thank you for sending me those great words of support!

Alrighty, need to get some reading done and turn in. My eyes are burning at this point but I love to at least get a few chapters under my belt each night before turning in. Love and peace to all of you. You done us proud IRIE!
                        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                        :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Finished dinner finished baking ... settling in to read more of Jason Vale's book..

Watched a show on the Science Channel last night Robin Williams was the host and was called Your Body on Drugs.. it did not include AL but it showed how meth coke dope and herion effect the body, the brain etc ... one person for each drug... it was the old driving thing, assembling furniture and moving objects... each drug had different effects... it was kinda of interesting.. but I think they should have included AL... as more people are addicted to AL than all the others combined then some (source jason vale)

Caught up on the post.... the nesters are doing great... especially irie.....Great point about lasting about 1 hour... then its gone.. that one hour is hell... but when its gone its gone... like my uncle said after hip replacement surgery... it will only hurt a little while

Unwasted so happy you are sleeping so well and feeling so great... Sleep is still my enemy..are you sleeping naturally... or do you have to use some kind of sleep aid? I want to try that Natural Calm PF was talking about.. heading to the health store tomorrow and hope they carry it.

Life Change... congrats on day 5

Dreams congrats on day 8

Tinpin love your plan for the Christmas party... going in style, look hot and feel hot ...dance and all AL
                          free..

Noal love your post from the other day and all the comparisons between AL and reality

Martie and Daisy so glad you are back/here

Audrey you are in good hands here ... remember that Lav.. Byrdie and Lolab have so much to offer...As soon as I get that feeling I want/miss my wine... I log on here and start to read... the urge passes.. I feel so blessed to be with you all...

PF hope you are doing OK tonight...

Blonde you are always an inspiration

I will probably be back later tonight if I can't sleep... off to read... nighty night nesters

Comment

Newbies Nest

lolab;1217501 wrote: hey, Prairie...how are you today????

I have a question. I got the natural calm stuff. The container says to split it up during the day but I take other mag supplement in the morning. And you said it's supposed to help with sleep if you take at night. How much are you taking at night?
                            That's a good question - Rich gave me samples that are premeasured so I don't really know. It didn't seem like much and said to dissolve in 4 oz of water. Does that sound like the dose on the side? All I know is get up an extra 10 minutes early because regularity IS NOT going to be a problem. At all. You should sleep like a baby AND be downright slender.

:-). Nope - no issues with bloating... Not with this...
                            That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                            Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                            AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all - doing ok - decided to call my cousin and put up my Christmas Tree. :-). Have to eat a late dinner or I will fight the alien... Spent too much time talking.

Feel very happy today - and grateful for all of you.
                              That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                              Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Busy nest day again

Glad to see everyone checking in & feel positive!
                                timpin - the plan for the Christmas party sounds good. When you remove drinking as an option, anything is possible

lifechange, I am very serious about the role gratitude plays in our recovery. Here is a site I love & have been a member for quite a few years: The ToDo Institute: Mindfulness, Procrastination, and Gratitude using Morita and Naikan Therapies
                                You can do a good bit of free reading there.

mylife, I'll have to look into that video, sounds good, thanks!

Good job irie

Well, I'm beat so I'll wish everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X