Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrdie- when is your big event? Those events where al flows free are so hard but with your hell no attitude, you will be doing better than everyone else there and I bet thinking more clearly and getting more done!!! Good luck on the conference itself.
    45 days AF 24/11/11 - Jan 2012.
    New day 1- 9 January !
    Back again 27 May 2012 - day 1

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 25!

Hello Nesters

Piper - Sorry - I thought Harry Potter is for the younger ones! LOL! Yes, I do live in South Africa. Like your beads idea. I am the creative type and have a few buckets full and you just gave me an idea! Congrats on 6 days!

Fly Away & Byrdie - It all comes togetjher. An AF plan! :

"All it takes is one drink. My life depends on it! HELL NO!!":finger:

Good luck Byrdie!
      12-20-2012 AF
      Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1220627 wrote: Been a busy weekend! Getting ready for our National Sales meeting and read over the PreWork memo this morning...had to download a book a read it today! Ugg! This meeting will be a real testiment to my committment. This is a freeflowing AL event from start to finish. See post where I fell in the ditch with my evening dress on and bets were made if I'd show at the morning session. I have visualized my declining offers of drinks and will keep a water in my hand at all times as a deterrent. My life is depending on staying sober. It only takes one drink. I will NOT give way. NO, HELL NO!
        Rooting for you Byrdie :h
        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well going into another AF day, Day 14 for me. My moods are a little bit better, sleep still is not what it should be, will get something for it today.

SL, I also had some bad withdrawals, still have a few. Strange however, the last two times I quit I did not have them. I guess that shows how much more I was drinking this time.

Piper, I also raised 3 children on my own, not triplets however. My hat goes off to you on that one. Regardless of their ages, raising children on your own is difficult. I raised mine to be independant, too much so I am afraid. I rarely see them, except on Facebook, they live about 1 hour away.
          I love your story about your daughter and the beads, she loves you so much. Your story actually brought a few tears to my eyes.

Timpin, I quit smoking over 20 years ago, and yes they had the gum, it was not flavoured and tasted like I was chewing MUD. I also kept my ash tray and smokes out of sight. I guess I am using the same technique with drinking. I do not go anywhere that might make me question my new life style AF.

Pinecone, congrats on your Day 24, I look forward to that one 10 days from now. Everyone on here is so supportive.

FF, keep it up and be positive, your Day1 will come. I was told to pick a day, and I did just that 14 days ago. If I can do it you can, I was drinking sometimes over 2 litres a day 24/7.

GuyNC, I agree with you about posting the amount of AL you drank. First it is a reminder to you, and those of us who also drank alot will identify with you. This place is so supportive. Congrats I believe it is Day 5 now or is it 6. I know that I have a spot on my liver, it was found about 5 years ago, was told it was normal, so not to worry about it. So I did not, at least till recently, I only pray I have not aggrevated it.

Fly, as I said earlier they did gum 20 years ago, but not flavoured, it was like chewing MUD. I love your comment about (Protect your sobriety). We look forward to your post when you reach Day 30.

Birdie, you are always so inspirational and strong for the rest of us, it is time for us to do that for you. You will do great at the meeting, and if you walk by that ditch, you will smile for this time you carry a glass of water.

Herbie, how wonderful you are celebrating Day25, I loved your comment about MILK being fattening, you made me LOL. Keep it up. I love humour

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

From FreeFly,

I CAN do this. I WILL do this. 30 days - is it really so hard? I think not - you're all doing so well. How I'd love to post 30days.
            __

Freefly -- I am so glad you came back. We missed you. Regarding your statement above. It is not easy, if it were easy then everyone would do it. Look around you, how many people are actually still here that were here just months ago. Maybe some have moved on in their AFness, but most are probably not here because it is HARD, and it takes HARD work. Now.. I know you can do it.....So getterdone. It took me MANY, MANY times to finally get a good string of AF days in. You will post 30 days or I will hunt you down. :h

Byrdie -- Just imagine the race --- you coming into the finish line and we are here cheering you on. Your arms are up in the air, and that tape is stretched tight and you cross, snapping it to shreds....we are all there supporting you....the Blue puppet thing, the slick 50's lady, dancing pine cones, butterflies, and of course the many, many birds. We luv you girl...Be strong.:coolsanta::yourespecial:

Comment

Newbies Nest

There is so much that I want to comment on, (of course ? LOL!) but I?m afraid I don?t have enough time for everything!

Barbara ? I?m so glad that you do come back from time to time?It?s very inspiring to hear from those who are finding success. Congratulations to you! What sleep CDs do you use? I am putting some on my Christmas list?

Prairie, you totally sold me with that comment about the sleep learning ones keeping you asleep as long as you need to be. Can you tell me more about the MWO ones? No one knows about this site and I don?t want them to ? so is it possible to get them without anyone still knowing? And is there music? Talking? Is it about learning to not rely on alcohol, while you?re sleeping? Or is it for sleep aid? Sorry for all the questions!

Byrdie, you will have NO privacy on this business trip whatsoever! What with all of us tagging along ! We?re so proud of you and we?re looking forward to your return so you can tell us how it?s done?the Byrdie way!

Timpin did great at the party ? yea!!!

Scottishlass, wow, you proved something VERY valuable, in my opinion?it?s very evident in reading back several days? worth of posts? You were so upset about the news from your landlord, but you turned it around and looked at it from a positive standpoint?I doubt you would have done that so quickly if you had turned to alcohol to try to deal?

Aguy ? you are very strong and sincere in your desire to quit ? it?s easy to see why everyone is reaching out to you ? count me in too ? you can do this.

Piper, sleeping without any meds sounds like a huge step in the right direction ? how did it work last night?

Windy, of course I know what you mean, don?t we always? But I am finding myself sometimes edgy and high strung and downright bitchy. Then I get sad because I think that after all of these AF days, maybe that?s just my true personality coming through? Honestly, I don?t think it is, but even if it is? It?s better than being in a fog, leading myself to an early death, and risking the lives of those I love too?because even if I didn?t drive drunk ? I?ve passed out enough where I could have left something ?on? in the house?or been so foggy the next morning, I could have left the curling iron on?Anyway, I?m not making any judgements on whether I?m a bitch or not until after the holidays?:H

I?m inspired by all the positivity here?all the reaching out and supporting ? it?s what we all need to make it through?

I?m off to try to do my hair?this may take awhile.
              ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning...I am back to try again. These false starts are driving me crazy, and I have no one but myself to blame. I seem to only be able to get to day two or three and then I let myself off the hook. My biggest triggers are work stress and weekends ... so that means everyday I seem to have a built in excuse to give in.

I threw the rest of what's left from last night's wine down the drain. Other than that all I can do is put one foot in front of the other for a while. As long as I don't buy any wine, I won't have any to drink. Pretty simple really, I just have to do it.
                ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                -----------------------------------
                Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

LolaB -- Oh boy do I understand Bitchiness and not wanting to be "that person" and not thinking you are that person. I was just thinking yesterday how to hide it better and be more patient with people, while still being true to myself. When to speak up and when to shut up.. If you figure it out PLEEEESE let me know. You 70 + dayer you......WOOOHOOOO

Irie -- Same goes for you as for Freefly....It is not simple......But you are right....just do it....One minute at a time. What matters the most right now is to keep trying. We are rooting for you.......If you looked back, I am sure you see some progress.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Monday Nesters!

Sorry I didn't fly in for a few days...work always tires me out so on the weekends that they just slip away from me in a flash. I was thinking of you all and wishing you well. I haven't had the chance to read back a few pages since my last post early Saturday but for now, I just wanted to report in and see how all was going. As for me, I can't deny that weekends are my biggest challenge too, Irie. But you are right and simply put, if there is no wine in the house, there is no wine to drink, so just don't buy any. But yes, easier said than done, especially this time of year when it seems like the whole world is getting buzzed. Last time I quit for several months, it was the start of the year and after all the holiday festivities and I must say, it seemed easier to not think of drinking because the whole world seemed more "sober" if you know what I mean. Anyways, let's stick to our guns and add up our AF time, just get through each day. Amen!

Have a wonderful day all...I'm off to work and must run. Will be keeping you all close to my heart all day. Be well!
                    Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                    :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey Windy, maybe you need to talk to my hubby - I'm sure he'll let you know when the bitchiness eases up...:H

Blondie, I was wondering about you this AM when I was typing - it's great to hear that you're hanging in and doing well...

Irie, I can't remember are you using any supplements or CD's or books?
                      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Lolab... I can't remember how to copy someone's previous post in your own ( I'll have to look that up) but you asked if I was taking supplements, etc...

I tried Topamax, and it worked beautifully for me for a few months, but then the side effects were so bad I regretfully had to stop. I have a cupboard full of supplements I'm not taking, the hypnosis CDs gathering dust and Jason Vale's sitting unfinished on my end table.

Your question really brings me up short. I feel like I am trying so hard, but in some respects I'm just giving these techniques a quick try, and then when they don't work like magic, I just toss them aside. Thanks for helping me rethink my plan. In a lot of respects I'm just winging it right now. A battle as challenging as this calls for a rock solid plan.
                        ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                        -----------------------------------
                        Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

If dreams were horses

the human body is a wonderful self repairing machine. if you have damaged your liver it will repair itself if you stop the AL (there is a point of no return on the liver but not sure what the cut off is)... my Irish friend I mentioned a number of post ago had liver damage.. she was/is a 24/7 drinker in her late 50s and the docs told her that if she quit the damage would self repair.. it was not to late...

If you are worried check it out and then you will know for sure... if it is anything, with your new found freedom from AL ... it will give the old liver a chance to heal and go back to normal

Timpin ... I never picked up the cigg habit... but friends have told me that years after the stopping they can still taste the cigg and want it.. one said that giving up ciggs was harder than the pain meds he got hooked on prior to back surgery 20 yrs ago and today no thought of the pain meds but the ciggs yes

Sleep is an issue for me too.. PF suggested natural calm... picked so up (it is pricy $$$$) but for the last several nights sleep has come much more easily... I start to get sleepy put down the book and or turn off the TV and turn on my hypno tape and I am out

Lolab that is so weird about the hair........ I have noticed my fingernails are much stronger but no difference in my hair ... but I am less than 30 days... my hair is naturally curly and very seldom blow it out straight.. so if I get the strange growth it may just get tangled up in the curls

NC Guy , Fly, FF, Pinecone, Piper Timpin, SL you are all doing great..

FF I love your signoff, when nothing goes go right... SH >>not just no - HELL NO,

Andrew of Ireland, thinking of you.. if you are floating around out there pop in and let us know how you are doing

Finished Jason Vale's book last night.. one point in the book... don't be sad you gave up the drink, don't feel like you are giving up pleasure... you are giving up nothing.. never say you "can't" saying can't brings never ending torture ... by doing this you will remove the self imposed torture replacing it with the constant and never ending happiness ...there is nothing to give up as AL does nothing for you so you are not making a sacrifice

I would say it is worth the read... it is about a state of mind, instead of being sad and feeling deprived the rest of your AF life, feel free you have given up nothing

Happy AF Monday everyone...

Comment

Newbies Nest

oh yeah, Herbie, I noticed that with my fingernails awhile ago, too! I'll be interested to see if you notice anything with the hair...damn....I gotta get a hypno sleep cd...

Irie, sometimes I think we believe that we're trying our best but are just kind of floundering....not giving that last 1% of ourselves. I know I did it before.....when you find those last pieces of the puzzle that complete your committment - to 100% - you'll feel it. You've got an arsenal of weapons at your disposal!!! Lucky girl! Line em up and take down that enemy! Make up your mind and do it. :l Byrdie's going to busy this week...I'll be that angel on your shoulder...Hope you're not sorry!!!:H
                            ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lolab, Windy, Irie. Blondie... good morning!! we must have been cross posting

Irie I am impressed with your new insight... there is no magic pill here... you got the tools already in place you can do this ... you've got the tools!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

if dreams were horses;1220835 wrote:
                                Fly, as I said earlier they did gum 20 years ago, but not flavoured, it was like chewing MUD. I love your comment about (Protect your sobriety). We look forward to your post when you reach Day 30.
                                Dreams--I've got a few months under my belt. I don't count days so I'm not sure exactly how many. I get chronic migraines and had to stop posting for a while because I couldn't stand to look at the computer monitor. I'm trying hard to get my headaches under control; I see a neurologist and get something called Myobloc injected into my neck every 3 months to help.

I sleep so much better now than I did when I was drinking. Funny how I really didn't put the 2 together. I hope that you start sleeping better soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X