Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

First time here (or anywhere) !

Hello. This is my first post, and I hope it's in the right place. . .I really want to start today properly, and not have a drink.
    I have a weak resistance to pressure and stress. The battle goes on. I lost my brother to alcohol/cancer several years ago, and that did not stop my drinking (or smoking). I finally cracked the smoking, simply because the doctor's words finally registered. The drinking, however, goes on. As it continues, my self-opinion/self-esteem drops lower and lower. Last month I lost my best friend to an alcohol related illness. Even this did not stop me picking up a drink. Finally, to cap it all, I have now been told that I have a fatty and swollen liver. 'Stop drinking' they said. I really am now trying, but after five days I went out and unravelled. I am so weak and pathetic at times. I don't want to self-destruct like my friend. So now I really do want to conquer this weakness.
    Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place or with the wrong thread. I will learn.
    I applaud each and every person who is trying to do the same thing. If alcohol was suddenly invented today, I'm without doubt that it would be classified as a class-A drug for all people with a tendency to fall into bad habits. . .

Many thanks.

:new:

Snowman

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome snowman! You are in the right place. I am flying by saying g'morning and headed to work. Keep posting and asking questions. I'm still a newbiee my self, on day 7, but I've been on MWO for almost a year. I made it to three weeks AF in February 2011, but stopped coming here to post. Somehow it makes me accountable and I get what I read here much more than what I've gotten in AA. So I came back. You're in a good place.

LL -- swimming the full mile = SLEEP!!!! I only woke a couple times. I have my pool bag already packed. I'm going to see if it can happen two nights in a row.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!!!!!!I'll check in later. You guys are awsome!

Aguy and andrew -- check in and let us know how you are doing

LL - swimming a

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey Piper, I used to swim laps...was a distance swimmer in high school. Maybe I should join you! I'm so happy you got some sleep...to me that makes a world of difference.
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Snowman! Yes, you have definitely come to the right place! I was scared by an abnormal liver blood test about a year or so ago and it got me so scared that I quit...I was retested after being sober and super healthy for about 2 weeks and all seemed fine. But then I slipped a few times and now I am on month 2 of trying to stay sober for good. It's hard but each day you wake up hangover free is totally worth it.

Hi to everyone else! Gotta get moving this morning to work but I wish you all a beautiful day!
          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
          :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

whoops...now when do I ever post something that short? :H I hit the wrong button.

I'm very happy for those doing well! Yet, there are so many who are MIA and I don't like the looks of it...:-(

snowman, you are sure to find some kindred spirits on this thread. The things you are feeling are so familiar to each and every one of us...the low self esteem, the desperation to quit drinking, the knowledge of what it's doing to us, yet the seeming inability to stop. But if you look around and keep reading you'll see that it is possible. It's not easy...and you have to want it with all of your body and soul.

Keep posting here, you found the right place...

And visit the toolbox - https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html and come up with a strong plan. Figure out what you are going to do to stop - it's not going to happen on its own...there are supplements you can take, subliminal cd's you can listen to, books you can read, exercise, and figure out how you are going to handle temptation and cravings...Go at it full steam ahead and you can succeed!
            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening/morning Nesters!!!

Almost off to bed..Very happy about my Day 2. Was very busy today, enjoyed city and weather here in Adelaide, did house cleaning and made dinner only for myself (my BF is on job trip) - fish and asparagus.
              I bought today Amino Acid Complex because currently i'm reading a book by M. and D. Miller "Staying Clean&Sober". There is written a lot about brain chemistry and processes when you quit drinking and how with appropriate food and supplements to help yourself. Their opinion is that Amino acids are the most important from supplements in recovery combined with B vitamins, Magnesium and Zinc.
              Will try and see how it works.

Lavande- yes, i'm taking Liver detox even when i'm drinking but of course my goal is to quit AL.

Wishing everybody good sleep or brisk morning!!!
              The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
              /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, I watched Rain in my Heart all 10 clips. It was very sad and depressing, but I agree, Scottish Lass, it was a turning point for me. I have come very close to caving in to strong wine urges over the last week and seeing the condition of those poor people who are killing themselves really hit home. I'm glad I finally forced myself to watch it.

Lolab, that is funny about your dream that we met. Maybe we did on another plane in the universe, who knows . I think about you guys all the time and although I haven't remembered a dream yet, I'm sure it will happen eventually. Mostly I just dream about work (?)
                Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning blondie! x posted.
                  ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

and Audrey! :hallo:
                    ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Snowman, like everyone before me, yes, you are in the right place. Like Piper, I was also here before a few years back, I was Litre then. After not being here or posting, I forgot my password and had to make a new profile. Today I have gone 15 days AF. It is not easy, there are so many here who have all gone through everything you are about to. MWO is like an extended family, we all care about each other and do all we can to help each others moral. Look forward to seeing more post from you. It does not matter how many times a day you post, just keep on coming back to read, re-read and post your thoughts, concerns and triumphs.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Crikey. . .such quick replies to my post!

Piper123 : Many thanks to you for such a nice reply! Thankyou!

lolab : I read your kind reply and couln't stop the tears, (good ones.) Your words really cheered me
                        up. Many thanks.

BlondeAFAmbition : Your words, too, have lifted my feelings. Liver tests, swelling etc is enough to make
                        anyone worry and panic. Thanks for your support, it is certainly reciprocated with
                        kindness.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello, if only dreams were horses!
                          Our posts must have crossed. Many thanks for your support and advice and helpful guidance. It is so kind of everyone to take time out to reply so quickly!

I shall post as often as I can, but I'm leaving here tomorrow to go to stay at my brother's place in England until 30th December. I will not have ready access to a computer. But I shall take all your kind replies with me and do my best to enjoy the festive period, and watch everyone else wake up with a headache. (I don't mean that in a bad way at all !!)

Snowman

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all... sleep .... urgg I was awake until around 1 and then woke up around 5:30...but I do know I am not alone on my sleep struggles
                            Lobab and Piper... I use to swim age group then when I was in college I was on the swim team... best shape of my life... but after so many years of looking at the black line at the bottom of the pool I just couldn't do it anymore.. several times since I have jumped in a pool, but I am so out of shape compared to my college days and I would swim 100 yards and go ughhhh

Snowman you are in the perfect spot, go back and read post 20 -30 pages back and you will see you are in the good hands nest... read the MWO book, go to the tools section get your plan and get the vit. supps...

Dreams you get stronger everyday!!!

Audrey you sound wonderful today, your dinner last night sounded so good

Blonde you continue to be an inspriation

Lolab I have notice the MIA too and hope they are all well and will drop back soon to let us know how they are all doing

I have to hop in the shower and get going

hope you all have a great AF day

Comment

Newbies Nest

just a quick hello.
                              welcome snowman!
                              i've also gained so much support through this site.
                              have a great time in england and sign in whenever you have a chance.
                              lots of strength during these holidays!
                              making it through day 11 slowly but surely.

thinking of you all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Running late, as is my norm each morning, but hangover free! Good morning everyone and let's put together a great day. Day 2 for me, but don't be mislead by that low number...I'm going places and leaving alcohol on my dust! I'll be back tonight!
                                ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                                -----------------------------------
                                Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Working...
                                X