Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

hey friends, if you haven't checked out onetoomany's post in the general discussion area - you should....it's fantastic. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...way-53891.html
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Congrats to everyone making progress!

Hello & welcome Snowman!
      AL definitely destroys your soul & sef esteem. Be sure to download & read the MWO book from the Health store here. It has lots of good info for you! The more you read & learn the better armed you will be to fight & win this battle.

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nest,

Wishing everyone a safe and AF Tuesday!

Snowman - welcome! Kicking addiction is the hardest thing I've ever done, but I believe I can do it. You can too! There are many people here who have, so it can be done!

Blonde - I've tried to watch the Rain in my Heart documentary and couldn't make it past a few minutes as it was so sad. I will keep it in mind for when I'm feeling weak. It is a really awful disease.

It's great to hear from everyone - I won't try to name you all as there are too many in this nest! I read all your posts and find little nuggets of wisdom in each and every one. That keeps me going each day!

Have a great Tuesday!

Comment

Newbies Nest

It was a very powerful story, she really does bring you right into the scenerio. Great job OneTooMany.
          I was lucky when my children were little as far as my drinking, but made up for lost time later I regret saying.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mylife, Irie, Snowman -- Not much from me today, but I must say I love your avatars. They make me want it to snow, which I DO. I will probably regret those thoughts mid-February. I am really beginning to look forward to a very sober Christmas. I am more organized and full of energy to celebrate the season in style. I am not even dreading shopping (as much).

Enjoy and may peace and love be with you always.

p.s. I want a cool avatar too.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Many thanks to everyone who has welcomed me to the forum, you are all so kind! It's like a big happy family! I've just read One2Many's fantastic post, 'A Sober Christmas?? No ******** Way!!!!' It is so good that I have copied it out and will read it when I'm in England during the 'festivities'. I'll probably read it quite a few times. . .
              Brilliant!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all. I have taken a break from spending so much time on the internet but have read back quite a few pages --lots of the same people are still here and doing amazing! Also to those in the first days of the battle -- please stick with it. I was a heavy drinker for 25 - 30 years. I ?tried? for years and years to cut down or quit. For now I seem to have managed it. If I can do it, so can you!!!

Windy and LolaB congratulations on sticking with it too-- over 70 days!!! I am happy to report that I am still just ahead of you. Today makes 78 days for me -- 11 weeks!!
                Thanksgiving was not so difficult. I had a few fleeting moments of thinking a glass (which would of course turn into a bottle or more) of wine would be okay. I almost had a sip of my mother?s riesling at her suggestion -- but thankfully I reminded her and myself that I only like red...

That same weekend we had a party for my son?s 9th birthday. I decided rather than just having a small ordeal as originally planned to make it a huge party so that nobody would notice that I wasn?t drinking. It worked perfectly. I was so busy rushing around and trying to say hello to each person that not only did they not notice -- more importantly -- I didn?t even miss it. Actually I was surprised at how much fun I had! It is possible to have a good time without wine!!!

Now I am getting a bit nervous about the upcoming Christmas holiday and my birthday and New Year?s Eve. There are several parties coming up that my husband and I are obligated to attend. I would rather not. My brother and sister are both coming for a long visit --10 days or so. Both like to drink, and traditionally I have always more than eagerly joined in. I haven?t quite figured out how I?m going to deal with that one...

Oh -- and Byrdie, I really have to thank you for getting me out of some close calls. Whenever I feel tempted I ?hear? you saying ?the only way to not drink is to not drink?. I?m confident that you will remember that at your upcoming event!

WickedMom
                AF since 9/20/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Snowman -- welcome to MWO! I hope you can find access to this site while you are in England. Although I don't post a lot -- I do read regularly and it has given me the courage and determination to stay AL free.
                  I can hardly type this as my hands are shaking -- but I know what it is like to lose a brother to alcohol. I did too. He should be turning 46 this month. Have to go too sad now.
                  AF since 9/20/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wicked Mom -- I am so glad you checked in with us. I am really a happy you are just ahead of me too. 78 Days is fantastic. Christmas and the festivities will be challenging to say the least, but I honestly think that it will be more enjoyable doing it sober; it's just getting past the mind games and associations with alcohol. I have thought about staying home from social obligations too and it's really not out of the question yet, but part of me thinks I need to over come the scariness of it. The more I practice, the better I will get. I need to remind myself constantly that I really do not like alcohol and it's affect on me at all, and get past the glamorization bit. Towards the end of my drinking I really was not enjoying it on any level; I must remember that. All the BS is just that -- BS and marketing. If you know what I mean. Keep posting. I find your posts very fun to read. You sound like someone I could learn something or two from.

A proper HELLO to Snowman. It is devastating to see the destruction...It really is the devil in disguise.

Lav -- I have been meaning to say "Thank you". You really can say so much with just a few words. I appreciate your sound advice. You always nail it for me and make me think about things. I wish you were my neighbor.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters

Just read Onetomany's post and it gave me a lot of hope.

I had the worst night ever with my 2 kids!! From 8pm till 2am they took turns in crying and wanted to sleep next to me. I tried desperately not to have them in my bed, because like you all know.... it is difficult to fall asleep!!! Was I THAT passed out before???

As some of you know I am surrounded by addicts in denial. My ex's family, my own and 99% of people I regard(ed) as "friends". In attempt to make this going AF the last time I have pushed everyone away. It helps and loneliness isn't my biggest problem, except that I then tend overthink things. It made me a bit emotional and angry the past few days.

My little daughter told me that grandpa fell in the road... With some poking you can only get that much out of a 4 yr old! So, after last night I called my ex and asked if he could please have them tonight, because I am too tired and impatient. When I dropped them off I saw grandpa and had a quick chat. Sure as hell - he had the scrapes and bruises on his face and his knees looked worse!

I am 26 days AF. It isn't always easy, but today I strongly felt like something was "missing". Even bought a non AL sparkling peachy something to drink and had a moment STRONGLY craving a cigarette. It comes and goes. Today was difficult, but looking at "grandpa" who was obviously self concious of his injuries and knowing that he will have to go through it again and again till his denial stops (if it doesn't turn out to be the rest of his life!) ...but looking at that made me think that I'll hang in here!

Sorry, not feeling like a chirpy bird. But it feels good and warm in the nest!
                      12-20-2012 AF
                      Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

SH,
                        Congrats to you for staying so strong & reaching 26 AF days!
                        Keep your focus on yourself right ~ just as you have been doing. I've come to realize that I am the only one I can depend on too. Your family's denial & troubles are theirs, let them own them.

windy - would you like to borrow my avatar for a few days? :H :H
                        I was thinking about changing over to my crazy chicken picture for a while anyway. Have you ever seen it??
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today I finally cracked

I had a bloody cigarette ! Well Stopping smoking and drinking was always going to be a challenge especially when you have done both for most of your life. I'd gone over three months without one and to be fair I thought about it before I finally lit it up. Do you know I just don't feel disappointed at all because it won't make me drunk and it won't ruin my life. I'd be interested to know what you guys all think. I can stop smoking again anytime but to me my priority is to stay off drink. The cigarette made me feel nicely relaxed but I know drink cannot do that for me.

I am so proud to have reached 32 days AL free and proud of everyone else on here who have achieved so much. We are all in this together and no way is any alcohol going near my lips. Next goal now is to get past Christmas and New year and then think about stopping the smokes after that.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Tuesday Eve folks!

Timpin-Don't be too hard on yourself about the cig. You are still doing amazing at 32 days AF and should be proud. And to go 3 months without smoking too boot. I have never had a smoking addiction but I hear that it is the hardest of all addictions to quit. Hang in there and be proud of what you have achieve and start building on from there. It only gets better

It's good to see people sticking around during this very hard time of year when temptation is at our doorstep practically every day. Irie, Steady, Lolab, Windy (hey, I think YOUR avatar is cool!), Lav, WickedMom, Snowman (love your name!), PF, Brydie, Scottish Lass, Ann, BelleGirl (how are you?), Minstar (and you??) Piper, Timpin, it's been wonderful sharing the journey with you and I look forward to wishing all a sober Christmas! Sorry if I missed anyone during roll call but you know I am thinking of you all during this magical month, which is even better to experience the holiday joy with a clear head. Let's count our blessings tonight, shall we?
                            Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                            :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

PS, not to leave out MyLife (yes, it was hard to watch those segments last night on Rain in my Heart, but I was so close to drinking that it was just what I needed to not go THERE. And when I woke up this morning hangover free, I felt really proud. Hi to Herbie, Lifechange, IfDreamsWereHorses et all. Peace out for a lovely, relaxing evening!
                              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                              :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

you ok, Blondie? I did't know you were struggling last night...:l
                                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X