Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Had a large glass of wine put in front of me with my dinner over at my son's place tonight. It was a hard day at work and it's a long bus ride to get to his place, and his mother doesn't often make me dinner but I just immediately said "no thanks, off it" and just forgot about it. It's the humming and hawing which has led to me cracking before. It's like in those few seconds of contemplation my inside addict takes control and then I'm done for. Ain't going to happen this time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have a feeling our Blondie is just fine

On a serious note - if you watch that documentary & still continue to abuse yourself with AL

timpin, I quit smoking 6 or 7 weeks after I quit drinking and it was definitely much harder for me. I say this 2 1/2 years later sucking on a nicotine lozenge.......I still get almighty cravings to smoke but I just won't allow myself. Like you said, wait for a slightly quieter time (after the holidays then try again). maintaining your sobriety is most important for you now

I going to say good night & be safe in the Nest in case I don't get back tonight!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's a happy, homey night in the nest. You all are such good people, it just floors me. I'd like to think that those of us who really struggle with this addiction have at least gotten something out of the fight with alcohol - a compassion for others who are in the same boat and an undeniable connection that has us rooting with all our hearts for each other. It's been said before, this is a good place.

For some reason, I'm having another fairly easy night without my normal constant companion, a chilled glass of Pinot Grigio. I have no illusions that I won't have a bigger struggle in the next day or two, but tonight I count my blessings. Day two is history. Bring on day 3, I'm ready!
        ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
        -----------------------------------
        Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey BlondeAF, thanks for calling out the roll. Happy to hear you made it out of a tough spot yesterday. I agree that watching Rain in My Heart is more than an eye opener. I have been wondering about a few folks also, (Minstar, PF??). I am doing OK after having to stomp a craving on Sunday that came out of nowhere. Just been so busy around here now that I have more energy and don't go back to bed after the kids are off to school! I still come and check in as often as I can or need to.

I second Irie's comment about you all being such good people. This is truly a great place to be.

Had a sick kid home today, have to get him to bed early to assure he will be well enough to go tomorrow! Good night, all.
          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Andrew, your post was worth the price of admission today! I had to pay 10 bucks for internet access at this resort in Ft Lauderdale to check in, and I'm so glad I did! Things going GREAT here....stuck with my water and to my amazement, not many questions...I just left a bunch of them down there all getting loud and messy. I will be so happy in the morning, knowing I got in at a good hour. Called my hubby and he was proud of me too. And then coming on here to see all the good wishes. Trust me when I say, I was one of the old reliable heavy drinkers at these things! This is a major turn for me, and I am so dam happy I could pop! I am doing it and it's not hard for me at all. Just said, NO, HELL NO! Sat down last night and the guy I was beside ordered 2 wines...when the waiter sat the one down, I said I didn't order that....and he took it back, no questions. I am so thrilled that all the anxiety I had about this has not come to pass.
            I am so proud of everyone! Andrew, stay the course....If I can do it, you can do it! I'd have had AL in my purse drinking it all day long on bathroom breaks here...so glad I'm not now.
            2 nights down, one to go. Thanks everybody!!! XXXOOO, Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello all... just catching up on today's post.... Byrdie... you go girl!! you must be on top of he world... Belle Girl things sound good with you too!!
              Andrew how different you sound from last week... I am so happy for you

irie.. so happy you are having an easy time

Blondie like your new avatar but miss your doggie too!!

Snowman you seem to be settling into the nest... so happy cause it is so comfy

wickmom... that eye!!! thanks for the post and inspiration

Windy and Blondie Lolab and Lav always get so much from your post

changed my avator to the real herbie tonight!!!

Steady hands and Dreams your progress over has been great...

Still thinking about our MIAs... hoping they are all well and will let us know how they are doing soonnnn

my little x mas party today was nice, not even temped to have a glass of wine, can't tell you how happy that makes me... but like I said very low key and very few drinkers

hoping for a better nights sleep tonight...

Rest well my fellow nesters see you all in the morning

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh I thought I would jump on the avator change wagon... this is the real herbie!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick Check in - busy day at office, then to girls winter concert - they are with dad this week, so had to say bye to them after concert and watch them leave and no tucking into bed, so very sad! I usually take them to school on a friday and Dad picks them up so it is much easier. So here in a cold empty house and hungry and tired....and big desires, oh yes, but remember Lav's HALT!!!! So nipped to McDonalds, rarely eat fast food, but it would get rid of the H, and would help to warm me.
                  Hungry, lonely, tired and can't recall what A is - too tired, so I better go to bed....
                  day 8 almost done - but so incredibly close to breaking it!
                  Like those posting, I am getting more and more worried about the festivities of the season, and I hope that I can be strong enough to do this, but after tonight my resolve worries me...thought that I was going strong......off to bed, so hopefully will wake up strong again! good night peeps!!
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

OK - the post everyone told us to look at has sorted out my problems! Onetomany's post has set me right - I will not be drinking in Dec, and will start the new year right with good memories and happy thoughts!
                    From the bottom of my heart I thank Onetomany tonight for sharing! I do not need to wait till tomorrow morning I am back on track tonight!
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just settling in for end of day 14! Phew. Thanks for everyone's inspiration. And ESP. Well done to byrdie at the event ! That must have been hard but oh so rewarding. Just stepping off my ferry, will post more soon.
                      45 days AF 24/11/11 - Jan 2012.
                      New day 1- 9 January !
                      Back again 27 May 2012 - day 1

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters!

Feeling greeaaaattt after 10 hours of sleep!

Lav - Thank you!

Timpin - I quit the cigs 4 months before the AL and I was surprised yesterday that I suddenly and strongly wanted it. It goes on the trigger list. Hunger and sleep deprived! Not Good!! (My smoking was bad, but AL was far more devastating.)

Andrew -:wd: That gives me hope!!

Byrdie - :happy: What a celebration!!

Irie - Have a great D3!

Blondie - I can't get over how SUDDENLY it can be tough! Thank you for being a strong example.

Herbie - Love the real Herbie!

SL - Congrats on D8. Yes, those triggers are bad combined with saying bye to kids! I began eating junk food too on the nights that they are not here (and seeing the results... so I'll have to quit that too!)

SH
                        12-20-2012 AF
                        Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Windy, thanks for your comments. I don?t know that there?s much to learn from me -- I?m really just winging it. I know how important it is to have a plan but when I quit in September all I knew was that I had to stop -- and that the only way to do it was just to stop. It sounds simple, and it was simple -- but not easy! I didn?t tell myself that I was going to stop forever. I still haven?t told myself that. I don?t know why, but I?m afraid that might sabotage my current success. So for now and tomorrow and the next day I?m just not drinking.

I am really looking forward to the day when I can go to a party, dinner or whatever without feeling anxious about not drinking or worried that I might actually succumb. I can?t stand that I care what people might think about me for not drinking. It?s beyond ridiculous. Anyway, I?ve told my husband that I will go with him to a work related party on Friday. He can drink if he wants -- I am the designated driver (for a change) whether he does or not. That?s my plan for that.

Another thing about parties -- The birthday party for my son a few weekends ago. There were nearly 17 adults -- all but 3 (not including me) are drinkers. It was an evening party, everyone was in a good mood -- it was loud, full of laughter, tons of kids running around. Cleaning up afterwards there was a total of one empty 1.5 liter bottles of wine. Under ?normal? circumstances -- before I quit -- I would have had at least a whole one to myself. Made me realize that most people who drink don?t drink as much as I thought they did, or anywhere near as much as I used to...
                          AF since 9/20/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Herbie and Andrew from Ireland, nice to meet both of you! I can finally say I know how good it feels not to be tempted by a glass of wine too. It?s powerful and amazing!

Scottish Lass, I just finished reading Onetomany?s uncomfortably familiar Christmas story too. It will help me as well. Thank you for posting that Lolab.

I had a Christmas eve a few years ago where I actually fell UP the stairs. Wooden stairs with a metal band across the top. Bruises all over my chest and arms. I really am lucky to be alive. I remember thinking ?I?m glad nobody saw me -- but wow that was close.? So, on that note I will go to sleep tonight with a stronger resolve to make it through the upcoming festivities without a drop of alcohol.

But first would like to say hello to those on the other side of the planet -- Nice to meet you Steady Hands and Australia! Have a wonderful AF free day! I am up far too late. Must get some sleep... Goodnight!
                            AF since 9/20/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hell to everyone! A new day is upon us. I'm sorry I cannot speak to people individually today, as I have a plane to catch and I don't think it will wait for me!

Many thanks to you all again, you give me hope and inspiration! This is my first xmas in this situation, and although it is certainly daunting, I have this forum to refer to, as and when I can find a laptop for a quick peek!

WickedMom: I'm so sorry about your brother. I'm with you on that one. It is such a terrible thing to cope with or understand. You are in my kindest thoughts.

Crikey! Must dash!
                              Kindest regards to you all,

Snowman

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters, today is Day 16, nothing exciting to post, except maybe yesterday I met a friend at the dog park, never been there before, too bad. I will continue now, my pooch had fun once she knew she could leave my side, and the big dogs went home.
                                Anyway, my friend offered to buy me some wine, not a glass, but a bottle to take home, I turned him down and explained I was building a habit and did not want to do that. I did not even feel a tug to take him up on the offer. So I guess that is exciting news, a few weeks ago I would have taken him up on the offer without bating a eye.
                                So I am wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday, and may the battle get easier. All my friends who are just starting out on this journey, stick to it, you will never regret waking up sober. I know I do not.

Comment

Working...
                                X