Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Irie...I'll join you on day one. I'm feeling quite like you are today. I "let my leash out" a bit the past 2 days and don't like where I'm heading. I also did not do or say anything stupid, but started sneaking extra AL when I could. Not good. So I will join you. With NYE coming it won't be easy but I need to start Today. Let's do this, shall we?
    BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Irie;1233127 wrote: Good morning, all. I'm back home after nearly a week with my daughter and her family. It was a very special time and I'm so happy that I was able to take the time to stay with her over the holidays.

I was not 100% AF, but did not drink many more days than I did. When I did drink I admittedly drank more than I planned, but thankfully didn't do or say anything stupid. Now that I am back home again I'm ready to try once again to shake this disgusting habit forever. As many have pointed out its a lot easier to simply not drink at all than to try and drink moderately. At least that's the case for me.

I hope I am not wearing out my welcome here as I keep saying that my goal is to be AF, and then within days I cave again. All I can say for myself is that i will not let my embarrassment with my past failures stop me from trying again.

Anyone else ready to join me on Day One? If you've been lurking and considering giving it a go, or have tried and failed before there is no time like the present to finally get it right. For all of you who are already doing so well, you have my greatest admiration and I will use your successes to hopefully find my own path to sobriety.

I highly doubt that anyone on here, or anywhere else, ever made it on the very first try......although Im sure there is that 1% of people that might have. This board is predicated on helping and supporting each other. We are all here to welcome you back with open arms everytime.

The fact that you are continually trying says much about your desire to stop....keep at it, and one of these times...I truly believe....it will stick.

I dont remember the exact post, but you replied once to a thread, and offered me some encouraging words, and I still remember your name now, every time I see it. So please do continue to come back, try to stop and offer advice and support, you really made my day when you did. You never know what you say, may just be that little nugget someone needs to make it AF that much longer.

Now, go get em, stay strong.........Ill join your party if you'll have me!!!

:welcome:back
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you, Nelz! Thank you, thank you! You are always such a support and are so quick to offer a hand when things get difficult for those of us who are starting out. It means a great deal to me to know I may have offered you just a touch of the same.

All right, on with the business of tossing this nasty habit to the curb!
        ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
        -----------------------------------
        Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Irie & Belle,
          Glad you are back in the nest now but have to ask......
          What exactly is your plan to remain AF?
          You both know that wishing won't do the job

Nelz, good to see you!

If anyone is interested - I just saw an online course on DailyOM - Nurturing Mind Body & Spirit
          21 Days to Detox Your Entire Life - looks pretty good! I have some of their other online courses & gotten a lot out of them. Very reasonable too/you pay what you can.
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

You are so right, Lav. I started by putting a goal in my sig, so I have some accountability. I don't remember where the toolbox was...can someone point me to it.

I did so well my first 30 days, then relaxed...I must have been thinking that I am OK to mod. Never actually said that, but it was in my brain.
            BelleGirl

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning! I am still AF - but I have to say that it wasn't quite what I expected. I had so many moments of just wanting a little of that buzz to take the edge off....I wasn't around alcohol but something just seemed amiss without it. Of course when I thought it through, I was very aware that wouldn't have stopped at that little buzz, and then I would get really really annoyed listening to my family talk about how I snored through the Christmas movie last Christmas eve...so "logically" I couldn't hide the fact that it was all an illusion - that warm fuzzy glow - but it didn't keep me from feeling like I missed it somehow.....I don't know if I'm expressing myself clearly or not...

anyway, Irie and Belle, you came back here and said things like "I hope I am not wearing out my welcome here as I keep saying that my goal is to be AF, and then within days I cave again" and "When I did drink I admittedly drank more than I planned" and "but started sneaking extra AL when I could" and you put things into perspective for me. So while you might be embarassed and feel like others are "sick" of hearing about your failed attempts - each and every experience has its purpose...and your posts were invaluable to me this morning. :l

I haven't attended a boozy party, or get together and won't for NYEve either - but that is not where my potential problem lies...it's in being alone or just at home that those feelings creep up on me. And like you Belle, I would very soon be looking for ways to sneak.

so thank you thank you thank you for your posts. Again, you never know when your words might have a huge impact on someone else. :h
              ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes, Lavande, I know you are right about the need for a plan. Thanks to Belle's suggestion, I've added my first goal to my signature for accountability. I've done this before, but will redouble my efforts to achieve it, and the ones to follow.

Thanks to Tipplerette, I've decided to start rebounding and just placed an order for a mini-trampoline that will arrive later this week. I will also continue to do the stretching exercises that were recommended on this board by Unwasted, I think? If I got the wrong person, I apologize. The book with the exercises is called Ancient Secrets of the Fountain of Youth by Peter Kelder. It's a very quick read, and I really enjoyed it. More importantly, I've stuck with the 5 exercises that are described.

I will also use the next weeks and months to drop the 20 pounds that years of daily drinking have added to my frame. It seems to me to be a good time to work on myself in a global way. Since I am devoting a good amount of time to improving my life by not drinking, I might as well put 100% effort into this and improve my health with a healthy diet and plenty of exercise.
                ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

lolab;1233179 wrote: Again, you never know when your words might have a huge impact on someone else. :h
                  Good morning, Lolab! We cross-posted. I just wanted to say right back at you about how our words can help someone else. You helped me tremendously earlier this month when I posted as I was leaving work that I was afraid I would stop for wine on the way home. I didn't, and when I logged on to say I'd been successful, you were so genuinely happy for me that it just touched me deeply. So a belated thanks for that!

As always, I am tremendously thankful for this site, which is quickly becoming a second home!
                  Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Irie, I changed my goal to be the same as yours. I think counting days is better than saying "through New Years Day", which is what 7 days pretty much is. What is your plan for New Years Eve? I'm not much of a NYE person, but that never stopped me from drinking before. I will be coming up with a plan for this NYE that keeps me away from AL.

Lolab, it is funny that we never know what inspires another person. You have inspired and supported me and so many others, so many times. It is just amazing how seeing ourselves in another person can help us so much. Thank you!
                    BelleGirl

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle & Irie ~
                      Here's the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

It's no accident that the Tool box is the first thread in the Monthy Abstinence section
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you, Lavande. I'm on my way now.
                        Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

January 2011 I decided it was time to make a change.
                          Feb 2011 I found MWO.
                          March I decided to try!
                          It has taken me till December to make it work!!!
                          December of all months - nutty! I am pretty shocked that I am succeeding this month.
                          It will have been a year long journey to do something I have wanted to do for 15 years!!
                          Even though I have AL in the house, I am now on day 28 AF, and so proud that I have done this - I have had a s*!#@y year in 2011, and I am really looking forward to really knowing the new me in 2012!
                          I have all of my nest mates to thank for my successes so far.....Merry Boxing day to all.
                          PS - my turkey dinner never tasted so good - I was usually sloshed by the time I was able to sit down, and even with the girls father being here to share Chrsitmas with his daughters I DID IT!! And everyone also thought it was the best Christmas meal I have cooked (and I am a pretty decent cook) - maybe I can't cook drunk, just like everything else I can't do drunk :H:H
                          “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

So good to see everyone sharing stories. Holidays have been a real test for sure. While I didn't drink at all, I sure thought a lot about it. Coming here helped me count my blessings. I had today off, and normally would be passed out by this time...like I would have been for most of the month of December...well, now that I'm talking about, it's like I was about half my waking hours...drinking or thinking about it, or trying to get over it. NUTS! So as my first sober Christmas has come and gone, here is to this nest, who talked me off the ledge hundreds of times over the past 11 months. To US!! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's so good to hear all of the success stories over Christmas. Even those who had just the odd one have really done so well. For me I have just completed 52 days AF but now see the real big challenge looming ahead of me, the New Years Eve party ! For me, this is the big one. I have been so confident over the last few weeks and not found it too difficult, but I just know that NYE is going to be the biggest challenge of all. I have thought about it hard and decided that the only way forward is to go to the party and get through it. I am hopeful that there will be someone there who is also AF who I can latch onto and get the support that I want. I really feel that if I can get through that then I will be on my way to an AF life. It would be so easy to just not go at all, but that is not my way. It is a challenge and I'm starting to prepare for it right now.

Comment

Newbies Nest

timpin, cONGRATS on your 52 AF days!
                                I know you don't want to mess up now
                                In the beginning & sometimes even now I go with an early exit plan in place ~ just in case.
                                I even did this Christmas Eve while visiting my BIL next door. I knew everyone at that gathering would be drinking & they were. I was met at the door by one of his extremely drunken friends. I've known him for years but apparently he didn't know who I was & tried to introduce himself but couldn't speak a full sentence including his name
                                I decided right there & then that I would be leaving the party within 10 minutes & I did. I explained (truthfully) that I had two fireplaces burning at home & couldn't stay
                                So go to the party with an early exit stategy & use it if you feel uncomfortable!
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X