Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Me on My New IMac

Thank goodness my first dose of topa has started to fade a bit. I'm on my new IMac, trying to figure things out and at first it was all too much!!! But feeling much better now.

Here I was complaining about DH the other day - about how he always has to drink at dinner time and make it so hard for me - and he spent the money to get me this computer and also a new vacuum cleaner and is taking me to the Holy Land in April - BIG bucks!! He really is a wonderful guy...and I'm not just saying that because I'm high on 5HTP!!!! :H:H:H:H
    Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
    (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi MWOLady - What dose of 5HTP are you taking? The last time I took it I ended up vomiting, it made me so sick (2 days in a row, I wanted to be sure that's what it iwas)! I know I've taken it in the past, but maybe I bought the dosage too strong this time? And unfortunately it's the powdered pill kind so I cant even split it in half...and they weren't cheap :upset:

I completely relate to "trudging" through each day too. I hated those days. Sitting at my desk feeling dizzy and just hoping nobody came to me looking for anything, because I would just stare at them and barely be able to comprehend what they were saying. I mentioned a book earlier, and one point that stood out was when the author decided she was going to stop "coming to" each day, and actually start awakening. That's so true. Each day with a hangover I was coming to from being unconscious...but now I am waking up from actual sleep!
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi K9 and MOW Lady - I tried Topa when I first started this journey and felt nothing except depressed! I stopped after about 3 weeks when I realized what was happening - so it didn't work for me either.

As for "trudging" through the days - I can relate to many of those days during my drinking career. What a waste of time and a waste of a life! One of the big reasons I'm stopping is that I don't want to face my creator at the end of my life and try to explain why I wasted so much precious time on this planet dealing with a hangover!! Plus actual sleep feel SO good.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Very busy here today, nice

mylife, good to see you!

windy, I missed you this morning, think we cross posted. You sound great!

Lola, CONGRATS to you on your 100 AF days :yay:
          What a difference, huh?? Keep going, stay happy & healthy

I accomplished much today & grateful to be AF!
          Sure wouldn't have gotten half of my list done had I been dragging a hangover around. I like being clear headed & energetic (as energetic as a 29 year old can be :H )

Greetings to everyone stopping in today!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you everyone for all of your wisdom on how to tackle the social/business pressures of drinking.....Thursday I am back in the city for a "business dinner" but I am determined.......this is day 3 for me and what a headache i have!!! can't wait for that part to be over.
            I asked my doctor to give me topamax but she wouldn't....so i will do this without.
            so today is my son's 12th birthday. We are having his favorite meal - bbq ribs!! Looking forward to it AF.....
            I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1237689 wrote:
              Andrew! Today is Day 3 for you!!! I'm so happy...this is a big day in our minds and our bodies...this is the day that AL is out of your bloodstream and you are operating on all Andrew Power! You keep up the good work, you'll feel right as rain in no time. Strive to get to Day 7 ok? You don't get a hat, but you'll have conquered every single day that the week can throw at you and succeeded!! I am thrilled for you!
              Day 3 felt GOOD. It's an exhilarating feeling when the fear and anxiety and depression begin to subside and you start to feel yourself again. I made the most of it and met a friend for lunch and then went clothes shopping after work and then a post-dinner 7km walk under the stars just to get out and feel the air and think about things. A sharp contrast to most of the previous week which was spent sitting in my room drinking and smoking and wasting money ordering take-away food which I hardly even had the appetite to eat. Never again, it's such a wretched existence.

100 days, btw.....:goodjob: lolab....I'm so jealous!

Night night all and best wishes to everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

jennie, my 13 yr old loves ribs - I think they llike the mess - LOL! enjoy!

Thanks for all the wonderful congratulations!!! I had a couple of squares of dark chocolate sea salt soiree to celebrate. :-)

Andrew, I can't wait to be congratulating you in April. :-)

I think my sleep cd is really helping!
                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good for you Andrew!

K9 I'm taking one 50mg 5HTP in the afternoon (but sometimes in the morning too if I feel like it) but before bed I take 2 50 mg along with a 500 mg GABA, and 2 1000mg mag glycerinate. and I sleep so much better than I have for months and months. I do feel sort of dopy with all this stuff but I've been so uptight and filled with stress the last year that I really feel the need to just get rid of all this stress.

A year ago my mother died in my arms, and then three months later my dearest brother died, and I was there with him as well - this was the most terrible time of my life - and I was very stressed out already!!! And I suffer with depression too - so I'm poplin' amino acids like crazy and really enjoying all the relaxation I'm feeling!! I plan to taper off once I have some sober time under my belt.
                  Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                  (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi MWOLady...I definitely would like if we could support each other. You sound like you are doing much better than me tonight...I drank a bit to ward off the stress I was feeling. That is not a reason, but an excuse and I am ashamed. I hope to do better tomorrow and would like to do AT LEAST 30 days like I did in Oct/Nov. Why is it so much harder now?????

I see you are in Canada. My husband loves hockey and is a big Buffalo Sabres fan. We used to live in Western NY, not too far from Toronto. Your hubby sounds like a sweetie with the new computer for you.

Tomorrow is a new day...I need to get through the witching hour without my crutch. Why is this so dang hard????
                    BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Andrew, so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel it this time too, I think this new year is going to be YOUR time to shine!
                      Others drinking because of depression. Here's my challenge to you...get 7 days AF under your belt and see how you feel. AL=Depression=AL=Depression. Get it out of your system and you will be absolutely amazed at how good you feel!! I mean AMAZED! AL is a downer on every level for us....I'm taking fewer pills now that I ever have in my life and feel better. Since quitting AL, I'm off 3 blood pressure meds, anitdepressants, and a myriad of other things I took to counteract other things I took to counteract AL!!! AL is dang poison to us!! Get it out you will NOT regret it not for one day!!
                      Keep up the great work everyone! Don't give in no matter what and no matter who! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle and MWOL....you have to WANT to be AF MORE than you want a drink. Whichever want is stronger wins. But the good news is that it is a choice YOU make. Tell yourself NO this time...exercise that muscle that is so weak on us...give it some strength and some voice (I drink and I don't even know why? I know why....and so do you....) make it HARD for AL to win...fight it with everything you've got. We're in the fight of our lives here....you are worth winning back. You CAN win! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good advice Byrdie

Good evening all Nesters!
                          Congrats Andrew, glad you are feeling well after 3 AF days.
                          MWOL, I understand drinking r/t stress & depression - I was a victim of that rat race too. Just hang in with us because it will get better with more AF time.

Belle, I think it does get a little harder each time we start a quit. I know it was in my own experience but that doesn't mean we can't handle it - just keep trying!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the Nest - it sure is cold tonight, BRRRR!!!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

bell girl... tomorrow will be your new day..

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening nesters, just stopping by to send my support. Everyone sounds good - Belle, great advice from Byrdie - you can do this!

:l:l:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

bell Girl.... you can do it... i am saying this as someowne who is floating around their

Comment

Working...
                                X