Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

SH - I think you're 60 days today? If so, big congrats!:goodjob: Clover - 6 months - wonderful!!:goodjob:

Lav, thank you! I did get some rest. RC came by the Jammer's thread with some late nite biscuits which must have done the trick!

I don't have time to read everyone's posts, but just wanted to send hugs. Thanks for the support everyone; it really does help.

Off to see my dad. Proud that I did not drink to cope. Day 56 for me.

xoxo:l:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

:l UnWasted :l Sending you a big hug and one for your dad too...I'll be thinking of you.

Haven't had time to catch up on the Nest yet, but wanted to check in...Monday morning again *sigh*

I had a busy, fun weekend with my daughter, we went roller skating with a big group of friends on Saturday night. I remember when I used to actually be good at skating, but I guess it has been about 20 years. lol. I only fell once, which I thought was pretty good! But I was SO sore when I got into bed, I actually had to get up and take some Advil because I was hurting so bad...man it sucks getting older! We had one of my daughter's friends with us, so after skating we went to In N Out then a little shopping at Target. It was fun to be out with the "girls" on a Saturday night, with no worries, and no rush to get home so I could drink.

Sunday was early morning church, then went in for a "trim" on my hair...I told the lady to take off all the dead ends, which almost left me bald....LOL...then home for a nap. What a perfect Sunday

I am on day 14 and feel really good. I hardly think of AL at all. I've been down this road so many times before though, so I know to keep my guard up, no matter how "easy" it seems. My thinking has finally switched to gratitude for being AF instead of feeling deprived of something. For example, back in my drinking days I would have never gone roller skating on a Saturday night...but I had so much fun...got to hang with the teens and also get to know the moms better too. In my drinking days, I would have been at home, isolating, getting drunk. Being AF really is freedom.

Hope everyone is doing well today...I need to catch up on posts!

K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!! Day 8 for me and into week 2 which feels good. First weekend under my belt - without a 'belt' ha ha. The weekend was a little hard but the week should be good. I'm going to change some things - no movie every night, eating dinner a little earlier as I get hungry earlier and that's a danger signal to reach for the wine...going to attend Mass on Wednesday and Friday nights, and Saturday morning (I hope!) and get my spiritual life in gear for 2012!!! That can only help my sobriety!!

From what I've been reading on here so far you all seem to be good heading into your week - great and go get 'em!
        Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
        (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9, doesn't it suck to fall when you're sober??? You FEEL it! Bahahah. I fell over a light reflector in the road about a month ago, and dang...that hurt! So glad you had a good time with the girls and made it an AF night! I still have trouble getting my head around the fact that I can now move around at night without the fear of arrest!!! If I want to go to the store at 7, by golly I can go! Not to mention weekends where I started drinking first thing, so driving just wasn't an option at all, I was stuck home in my own private hell. Nice life, huh?
          UW, thinking of you...my Dad is 89 and in failing health, man, that's going to be a hard day, and I know it's coming. Like you say, what can you do to prepare??? My heart is with you. Love, Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Unwasted - Yes! It was 60 days for me!! Didn't realize it myself and counted it later in the day.

K9 & Byrdie - It is soooo fantastic to be able to go places and talk to people!! My heart used to skip a beat when I heard someone at the door and I HATED going anywhere after my first drink. Or staying where I couldn't drink!! - Freedom at last!!
            12-20-2012 AF
            Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters...
              Happy Sober Monday to all. It is nice to have gotten through the weekend AF. I am even accomplishing something today that I have put off for months, due to AL related lack of motivation: deep cleaning of the kitchen. You know...move all the small appliances, clean them, clean up dust and crumbs. It is nice to have that soft scrub with bleach smell in the kitchen! Haven't had that in a while.

It seems like it is getting harder to check in when my husband is around...he thinks I am "surfing the net" too much. Funny how he seems to be more in tune with this than my drinking.

Unwasted, I wish you all the best in your time with your Dad. Mine is 81, and it hurts to see him get old and weak, as he has always been my favorite person. It is wonderful that you can spend time with him now, sober, and have no regrets later.

One of the issues I have had while trying to be AF, is cooking with wine...meaning in recipes, and keeping it out of me. So I had an idea. Tomorrow I am making braised lamb shanks, and braising in red wine is necessary. I bought one of those small (500 ml) boxes of wine. I need a cup, and will test my resolve by making sure every last bit, except the cup for the recipe, goes down the sink. I would have a hard time doing that with a bottle of wine. I will report in on how this goes. It is a crock pot recipe, so I will be doing this tomorrow morning...before yoga class...so I will not really be in the mood to drink it. The only thing the devil may TRY to do is have me keep the rest for later. I'll be damned if I will be talked into that.

Irie, great to hang in with you on Day 6. Lets happily see day 7 tomorrow.

Herbie...I miss you and wonder how you are doing. Please check in!

MWOLady, I am also trying to get my spiritual life in order. I have started wearing the Miraculous Medal that belonged to my Grandmother and am really trying to go to church on Sat. nights (easier than sunday mornings for us). I may try to go to mass an extra time this week, if I can.

K9, keep up the good work. You know it is worth it. Glad you had a nice time with your daughter. Mine is 8yrs old and we do have some special times together.

Steady, Lav, Windy, mrsg, Lolab, Byrd, sufa, Juja (my Virginia sister)...you all are nice nest company.
              BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello,

Quick check in, doing good on hols, no drinking. Yeeeey!

Day 7 for me now,

Clover, so happy to hear from you again, so glad you are doing well and turned things around.

Sending happy thoughts to the onesstruggling and a prayer for the old dads out there.
                workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, tomorrow I tackle my last addiction...cigarettes. I've been planning my quit for a week. I have a plan in place. I'm trying to do it differently this time, so hopefully it will be a success . I find it harder to quit smoking than drinking Nobody in my family is even aware that I smoke, so I am once again going at it alone...but I feel confident I can do it. One day, hour, minute, second at a time.
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Piper--You're doing great on Day 9! You have no idea what that woman was feeling in the museum. Maybe she, unlike you, couldn't get through the museum without having a drink. Give yourself credit for what you accomplished.

Windy--Well done on saying HELL NO!

Unwasted--I'm thinking of you and your dad. Drinking isn't coping. Drinking is putting the hard stuff off until later. It's still there, whether we like it or not. Well done on Day 56!

K9--I'm so glad you had a great day with your daughter yesterday. I know that she had a lot to do with you wanting to be sober. Quitting smoking was so incredibly hard for me. I wish you all the best.

Steady Hands--Congratulations on Day 60!

Belle--My DH seems to have a MWO filter on and as soon as I try to check this site out, he's bursting into the room. Enough already!

Shue--You're doing great being away on holiday and being AF! Well done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

So happy to see everyone today

Belle, honestly, it would be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another bottle/box of wine for 'cooking'. I know exactly what would happen to the leftover wine.......

Substitutes for Alcohol in Cooking - GourmetSleuth

There is absolutely no need to buy wine for cooking.
                      That is simply another habit that needs to be changed.
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just wanted to be message #17,000!!! I started here on message 4745 or some such...man! What a ride it has been. Glad to have a seat in this wonderful place! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Monday everyone!

Day 8 for me and still feeling good with no desire to drink. Please God hold that demon at bay!

K9 - I too am on this journey all by myself (except for my good friends here). Nobody knows the troubles I've seen

BelleGirl - to be completely honest, a box of wine would be way way too tempting for me - right now I can't even think of having any alcohol in the house. I know for sure it would be too hard for me to resist - but that's me. Good luck with whatever you decide on the cooking front.

Hope everyone else who drops in is at peace with themselves and feeling strong.

Unwasted - sending hugs your way - lost my Dad 2 years ago. Treasure whatever time you may have with him - he is very lucky to have you.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

newbies nest

Day 3 for me today no al, but i did have an attack of the carbs today i couldn:t seem to get enough carbs into me. Well hopfully back on my low carb diet tomorrow.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi folks, Day 9 here...all going well. I did something different at the end of the last binge which I think is helping me this time - I left my empties in the wardrobe instead of throwing them away so I see them everytime I open it up and the sight of all those bottles, most full of horrible piles of cigarettes and ash, revolt me enough to just give me an extra little bit of a reminder of why I quit drinking! I think I need that because I'm feeling so good now, healthy and strong and "normal" that I've caught myself thinking about drinking almost absent-mindedly. Just the last few days. As many have said...gotta keep on our toes.

Greetings to all here, take care and stay strong.

Comment

Newbies Nest

piper123;1241459 wrote: We sat down and the table next to us a woman was drinking a glass of wine. I could hardly keep my eyes off it it looked so good. It was chilled and I kept wondering why can't I just have a glass of wine like that? In the afternoon? And enjoy it? Why does she feel no quilt or anxiety?
                                You know, it could be as it seemed, OR... it might have been her third or fourth glass, and when she got home she might have had another bottle waiting. She just might not be as strong as you, Piper.

Day 6 for me is in the bag, and this was the easiest one so far. I hope that means things will continue to get easier.
                                ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                                -----------------------------------
                                Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Working...
                                X