Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

K9 and Steady:

You are preaching to the choir! I am on day 7 and and my mood is like an elevator: way up and way down. No wonder I always wanted to numb out. But this time around I just got tired of the sugar highs and sugar lows that my drinks gave me, so here I am. I've been here since 2009 but haven't been AF for more than 3 days. So I guess I'm officially a newbie again. Not an AA fan cuz I live in a small town. so you guys are saving my butt. Blessings to us all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi from sunny Virginia, fellow nesters! Looks like things have been awful busy here, and I only had time to catch up a bit. Had yoga class, ran errands, and then came home to talk to my brother about my Mother, who seems to be having delusional episodes. I have seen her memory get worse in the past couple of years, but now this stuff is getting scary. Don't know what to do or how to handle this. Also worried about my Dad having to deal with her.

Thanks to you guys for giving me some alcohol cooking alternatives. Australia, I have never heard of verjus, but had to look it up. And Lav, thanks for that link to Alcohol substitutes for cooking. I have bookmarked that one for future reference.

I did use the wine in my lamb recipe this morning. I bought only a small box (about 2 cups), poured 1 cup of wine into my measuring cup, and quickly dumped the rest down the drain before I could even consider doing any thing else with it. I thought of it like not hesitating when someone asks you if you would like a drink before saying "no thank you". Because it is lamb I am using, I really thought it needed the wine to cut the fattiness. I can see using substitutes in other recipes though.

Lolab...I have been mostly staying away from my fave recipes that require wine also. I did make a chicken dish a couple weeks ago with white wine, and opened a bottle for it. I did have to sample, and have a glass, but poured the remainder down the drain the next day. It does seem a bit dangerous though, and could have gone down bad.

Herbie...you cracked me up saying you "vomited" your troubles all over the place. I hope you are in a better place today and are hanging in AF. I am finding it is so much nicer to have a clear head to think with. Who knew?

Irie, I'm still with you on day 7.

Have a great day/evening/night all!
      BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have a stupid question to ask.

When people refer to their "DH" or "DS"....what does that mean?? I'm guessing it has something to do with a significant other, which is why I don't recognize it and never use it...maybe??

Sorry for the lame question :huh:
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

:H K9 -
          Depends on who you ask! Some use DH for Darling Husband while some of us use DH for D--k Head :H

The cooking without wine thing is completely doable ~ you just need to give it a try - experiment a little

Belle, glad you dumped the remainder

DoDoHead, welcome to the nest & congrats on your 7 AF days!!!!
          What's your plan - do tell!!!!

SH & K9, I have taken St Johns Wort off & on for years & it works much better for me than Rx ADs.
          I am currently taking Amoryn.

Should get back to work....
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

omg Lav - I just spit out my selzer laughing!!!!!!!
            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

I know I am a bit late here but since I was AWOL,

congratulations LolaB on your 100 days!!!!!:yougo::yougo::yougo::yougo:
              I am genuinely so pleased for you.

And Byrdie, not long now for your big anniversary and I will be here to celebrate.
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1242230 wrote: I have a stupid question to ask.

When people refer to their "DH" or "DS"....what does that mean?? I'm guessing it has something to do with a significant other, which is why I don't recognize it and never use it...maybe??

Sorry for the lame question :huh:
                DD is dear daughter, DS is dear son, etc.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Afternoon all - great posts! are we arranging a hot tub party for Byrd??
                  i was interested in the Verjus - found this, think I will go and look for some...

Verjus
                  (vair-ZHOO)

Also known as "verjuice," verjus is the pressed juice of unripened grapes, and can be red (made from either purely red grapes or a red-white mix) or white (made from white grapes). While acidic, verjus has a gentler flavor than vinegar, with a sweet-tart taste that is often used to heighten the flavor of many sauces or mustards. The word verjus derives from the French term vert jus, literally "green juice," which refers to its source?the high-acid, low-sugar grapes that winemakers thin from the vines just when the crop is beginning to ripen. This early crop of unripe grapes is pressed, resulting in verjus. Unlike wine, however, verjus is not fermented, and is not alcoholic, meaning that its use in a salad dressing or sauce will not interfere with the flavor of the accompanying drinking wine. Widely used in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, verjus has become more popular in recent years and is produced by many American wineries; it's also widely imported from France. Red verjus has an earthier flavor, while white verjus has a crisper taste.

HOW TO BUY
                  Like wine and vinegar, each brand of verjus will have a distinct taste. Red generally varies from gentle and floral to rich and hearty; white verjus can be light and mild or tangy and aggressive. verjus is available in gourmet food stores, or directly from producers.

HOW TO USE
                  Both red and white verjus can be used in salad dressing, with a proportion of 3 parts verjus to 1 part oil; red verjus is better suited for strong-flavored greens like arugula, while white verjus is better for tender greens, like butter lettuce. You can use red verjus as you would use red wine vinegar or red wine?it is particularly good in sauces for meat or spicy foods, as well as marinating. You can use white verjus as you would use white wine vinegar, lemon juice, or white wine?it is good in beurre blanc, or other sauces for chicken or fish.

HOW TO STORE
                  Opened verjus will keep, re-corked, in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 months. To freeze for a longer period of time, pour verjus into ice cube trays.

Read More Verjus: Ingredients : bonappetit.com
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1242239 wrote: :H while some of us use DH for D--k Head :H
                    Too funny! :H
                    Thanks for the clarification!
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lobab, thanks for that link to Craig Ferguson, isn't that interesting, I didn't know he was an alcoholic. Pretty good comedian, too!
                      Observation: The tv portrayal of Alcoholics is right...one drinks sets us off...I never would have thought that possible but alas. Just like that Seinfeld episode...OY.
                      Thanks, Lav for noticing that I am inches away from one year AF!!!! I would have never believed it and many days I do not believe it still! I operate out of fear, so I don't dare test the waters!!! And I am finding I don't need to, nor do I miss it!! Like Pinecone said, I had all the fun I could STAND!!! Bahaha! It stopped being fun a very long time ago.
                      I am working on my acceptance speech for my 1 year Anniversary....meanwhile, let's just get thru today shall we? Love to all!! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

:grouptrophy: Got one of these reserved for you Byrdie
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1242239 wrote: :H K9 -
                          Depends on who you ask! Some use DH for Darling Husband while some of us use DH for D--k Head :H
                          :H Okay, this is definitely quote of the day. :H:H

This site rocks.

Comment

Newbies Nest

PS - Byrd - you are amazing!!! I can't wait for the one year celebration!!! :goodjob::l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just a quick check in for me - hello nesters!

Still dealing with my dad's end of life stuff.........but still sober too. Stay strong everyone.:l

Byrdie - I can't believe it's been that long! Wow, ok, getting ready to celebrate.

SPEECH SPEECH SPEECH!

p.s. D*@# Head wins my vote :H:H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lmao Lav!
                                No alcohol cravings today but I expect them tomorrow. It's so infuriating how "I don't drink" can twist in your mind to "I could drink if I wanted to".
                                I remember a similar insanity when I quit smoking but everyone was rooting for me and the benefits were so much clearer. Quitting drinking still has a sense of shame attached to it and I feel like I'm doing it quietly, suffering quietly, and getting sober a little at a time quietly. But then I get DRUNK loud! So I guess I should shout it from the roof tops that I'm effing sober now!
                                But I don't. :/
                                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X