Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Happy Tuesday all!

Nursie -you just go ahead and shout it out loud to all of us here! I never smoked but it's obvious to me as well that there is that stigma of shame associated with alcoholics that just isn't there with smokers. To all of you who are currently trying to give up both - my hat is off to you.

Funny Lav - It took me a long time to catch on to YB too. I remember when I first came here I asked what "AF" meant Yea - must have been stupidity brought on by wine.

Day 9 for me and feeling good - thankfully I'm not suffering from a case of the downers right now but I've been there before.

Byrdie - I was here with you last year when you started - I am so freaking proud of you! You too Lolab - you guys are awesome and such an inspiration to all!

Just started physical therapy for my shoulder - have no idea how I hurt it (would like to blame it on kinky sex but my DH would certainly deny it:H) Guess I'll chalk it up to old age - just getting ready to turn 50 and feel like I'm falling apart!

Time to get some stuff done around here before the whole routine starts again bright and early tomorrow morning.

Good night all!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all - Jolie - just got knee x-rays and appt for orthopod at end of month, and I am turning 50 soon too!! the crud is creeping in!! Hope your shoulder gets better soon...
      “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, Jolie, I know so well you and I trudged thru our first weeks and months together. You are a very LARGE part of my quit. You were exactly 2 weeks ahead of me, (I was jealous of that in the beginning) and you led the way telling we what to expect. It was a godsend to me. The words you wrote down I could have sworn I wrote. I am so glad our paths are crossing again. I think the world of you. B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

vitamins

Day 4 is done but feeling rather frustrated right now. Just got an email from the friend who owns a vit store and apparently phenylalanine and tryptophan are ilegal in canada, just figures. Any suggestions what i can do, but i think i am going to go and exercise to get rid of this mood

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening, friends!

Steadyhands, congratulations on 60 days!
            Lolab, congratulations on your 100 days! I say it often, so I hope it doesn't sound generic, but I really get alot out of you two's posts. The course I am taking is through the Todo institute and it is about trying to identify your purpose in life and how to take steps towards it. It should be good for me because I am a chronic procrastinator and it seems like my reality just isn't close enough to my goals. I'm really just trying to do a little actual self improvement, so I think it should dovetail with quitting drinking quite nicely. The only bummer about it is that it will use up alot of my online time, so I can't be here as much as I like.

Welcome Minimoo, you are off to a great start!

Oh boy is the abbreviation for D.H. thing funny! I hope everyone has a wonderful AF night.
            "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
            AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Everyone is doing so well. It's really heartwarming. I made it through day 7 by the skin of my teeth. There seems to be a time around two in the afternoon when I should be busy working but instead I start the inner battle in my head. I logged on here and read for a while, and again, that's what did the trick for me. It scares me how close I come to folding on a daily basis, but I guess there is no magic bullet. You just have to do it. Argh!

A little cranky tonight, but I know I'll be one happy lady in the morning. I hope you all are able to stay tough when you need to. It's so hard to do, but it would be ten times harder to start over.
              ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
              -----------------------------------
              Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

I wanted to pop in and say hi... So many people here that I can't address you all right now anyway.. But I look forward to getting to know you all.... Today is my day 8. Getting ready to tuck in and go nite nite..... I hope you all are having a good day, afternoon, evening... Wherever you are. Thanks to all who have been so kind to me... I really do appreciate all of you... And I really need this right now....
                Take care and peace to all... Shiner

Comment

Newbies Nest

Glad I can still make some people laugh :H

I see some real progress happening here & that is just great

To those of you approaching 50.......look out!
                  Honestly, everything started to fall apart then (if it wasn't already broken)
                  But I'm still here 8 years later & probably in a lot better shape too!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the Nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters!

Lolab ? 100 days!! WOW!! Congratulations! You are amazing!!:wd:
                    And thanx for the Craig Ferguson link ? I really enjoyed it and appreciated how he brought it into context for other alcoholics.

Dodo ? Good to get to know you. Old/New ? it?s a journey!

Nursie ? Yeah, Ferguson also said that it is embarrassing to say you?re an alkie?

Pinecone ? This means you just hit 60 days too!!:thumbs: Congrats! Discovering your life purpose and getting rid of addictions should go hand in hand. I didn?t and feel now that I wasted a whole decade!! I support your journey.

Twitt ? Day 4!! Proud of you!!

Irie, Shiner, My Life, Byrdie, Lav, SL, FlyAway, K9, Jolie, Unwasted (:h), BelleGirl & Daisy45

Have a great day!!
                    12-20-2012 AF
                    Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, sounds like everyone is doing really well tonight. get job staying AF all.

Just checking in after making myself a yummy greek salad (and chocolate for dessert)

Lolab, big huge congrats on a lovely century of days!!!

Scottish, thanks for all the verjuice info, even though i use it, i didnt know all that about it.

K9 - sorry to hear you feel a bit flat, make get a massage or facial or spray tan to cheer u up.

Steady – sounds like you are in the same boat, as I can be too from moment to moment-do something nice for yourself!

Lavande – enjoy ur AF night with your grandsons, what did you guys get up too

Byrd - yes those Tv stereotypes are so true, i really feel they resonate I remember a simpsons episode which is so very me. barney has been sober to joing a nasa mission, when the organizers give me and glass of champagne to toast the start of the voyage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmJEA8Id28[/video]]Barney - It Begins - YouTube
                      the ironic and funny part is, the champagne was non-alcoholic. I have always secretly empathised with this character!

Belle- sounds like u love to cook, like I do, it’s a nice relaxing and creative past time

Hi shiner – good job on 8 days!

Youre right irie – you will be happy in the am

Unwasted – thanks for checking in, hope your feeling OK

Pinecone – v inspired by ur action with Todo

Nursie, daisy and Minnie – good job

Good night everyone and good job all
                      45 days AF 24/11/11 - Jan 2012.
                      New day 1- 9 January !
                      Back again 27 May 2012 - day 1

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning! Rise and shine!
                        I feel like a super hero when I'm not hung over!
                        Rawr!
                        Day 1 again 11/5/19
                        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1242502 wrote: To those of you approaching 50.......look out!
                          Honestly, everything started to fall apart then (if it wasn't already broken)
                          Boy, isn't that the truth! It seems like the moment I hit 50 I developed aches and pains I'd never dreamt of. It obviously didn't help that due to feeling rotten and depressed in the morning I pretty much gave up my lifelong exercise habit around the same time.

The good news is that by introducing first simple stretching and walking, then yoga and rebounding, I'm feeling like a million bucks. In fact, when I got up this morning I got out my Zumba DVD to do before work this morning.

I was starting to settle. I was becoming an unhappy, frumpy older alcoholic. The last year of concentrated effort to work on my drinking has had a huge impact here. I'm happier, more confident and more likely to get my exercise in. And this last week AF? Watch out! I'm back on my way to hot! LOL!
                          ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                          -----------------------------------
                          Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Daisy thank you so much for the belated congratulations - but are we celebrating Groundhog Day a little early this year? :H That's ok, we can celebrate me and congratulate me every Tuesday if you want to - I will be gracious every single week.

hey Irie, your post made me remember something...you wrote "It scares me how close I come to folding on a daily basis," It's something, isn't it? On my 30day mark, I wrote the following:

The other day, it was gorgeous outside - I had a "break" from an activity that I was working on with friends - and my brain jumped to "perfect opportunity to sneak a drink and have a nice little buzz"....I hate thinking that if alcohol were here and readily available I might have caved in, several times over the past 30 days....

If I hadn't given the "Kick the Drink" book to my husband to read, there might still be vodka in our freezer - and I wonder where I'd be today....most likely not celebrating 100 days....(for the second time :H)

You've found what is working for you - in coming here and reading. We all need to figure out what works for us. I've gotten to where - if the thought pops up - I really stop and think it through....I always come to the point where it doesn't seem appealing anymore and then I'm fine. and for me, it's not about reminding myself of the way I'd feel the next day, it's about remembering the fog that I would be in for the rest of today....the "nice" part only lasts a short time, then I'm stuck in the fog.
                            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Starting out sunny this morning but I hear rain will be moving in later, oh well.

I think anyone in or nearing the 50 something group needs to pay particular attention to self care!
                              There are so many physical/emotional issues & assaults going on we really do need to watch out for ourselves. Kicking drinking/smoking habits, beginning or increasing exercise routines, etc are top priority

That's why I need to get my aging self to Curves right this minute :H
                              Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Humpday!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone! I'll gladly join the chorus about excercise! I am a firm believer in the almost universal benefits of excercise. I haven't found a facet of life that excercise won't improve. I'm not a health nut by any means, but I try to do a little everyday, and it is really missing if I skip it for some reason. I really don't have any reasons (excuses) now!

Nursie, I love the "Rawr!" I laughed out loud! So true!

Steadyhands, something you said is also something I have been thinking about alot lately. The wasted time we spent. It really makes me sad sometimes if I think about it alot. The silver lining for me is my appreciation of AF life now. I know it is a small consolation. Maybe that time was only really wasted if we allow ourselves to screw up our quit. I don't know, but it is something I keep coming back to in my mind.

I hope everyone has a great AF day!
                                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Working...
                                X