Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Nursie!! - I'm ok!! Swelling is down a lot, now I just have a very sexy rash all over my face... Think it was the figs - the milky stuff.
    I made inspiring fridge magnets and thought it would take 2 hours, instead it took the whole day! But it is beautiful!!!

UW - Thanks for asking and sounds like you are doing really well.

Irie - We'll be here when you are ready. The worst part for me always was to get the AL out of the system again. That process accompanied all the anxiety and shame (Byrdie’s GRS-brothers!) Good luck to you!

MWOL – To be honest I was a bit shocked with you telling about being 10 years sober. But I know a woman who started smoking after quitting cigs for 9 years and I am not afraid of smoking again. BUT people don’t push you to smoke as much as to drink.
    I want to ask you – you said it was because of your heavy drinking (now husband) guy. What it really evokes in me is that feeling that simply quitting is not enough and what really discourages me is that EVERYTHING needs to change. I come from alcoholic families on both sides and always mingled with those types of friends and married those types of guys. Today when my ex dropped off the kidz I could see the usual Sunday afternoon buzz he was on… Is it that disgusting? Is it that bad? I don’t feel like I express it good enough and I am not totally sure what I want to say or ask, but my sober brain is busy with that one!! But thank you for telling us. I need to know that.

Hi to all the new people!! Hang tight. This is a very good place!!
    12-20-2012 AF
    Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Humor for the Day

Hey guys, posted this on the jammers thread. Thought it was so funny.......hope it brings you a smile:

Stay strong everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

UW - it certainly did bring a smile to my face!

I'm also smiling because I just watched the Ravens win (even though I was holding my breath until the very end).

MWOL - I am glad you shared your story - like others before me have said, we need to be ever vigilant. When I started here I thought after a period of abstinance, I could moderate - ummm NO - I can't. So it's all or nothing - either spend every last day of my life drinking too much wine every night, or spend every last day of my life living. Really living and not just living from the time I wake up in the morning until 5:00 every day. My 5:00 till 9:00 days are now sober days and that's exactly how I want to keep it.

Hope everyone has a peaceful, sober Sunday - ready to tackle the new week cause I'm

HAPPY TO BE SOBER!!!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

UnWasted that is priceless!!!:H:H

And I don't mind the question about DH being a drinker putting me off my sobriety. He does drink every day...but that's him, and this is me. He doesn't get drunk (maybe a little squiffy and flushed-faced at parties) and he has never embarrassed me like I've embarrassed him. So I just have to do what I want to do...it's a big world out there and millions drink. Doesn't mean I have to.
          Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
          (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jolie;1245217 wrote: So it's all or nothing - either spend every last day of my life drinking too much wine every night, or spend every last day of my life living. Really living and not just living from the time I wake up in the morning until 5:00 every day. My 5:00 till 9:00 days are now sober days and that's exactly how I want to keep it.
            HAPPY TO BE SOBER!!!
            Jolie - I think you took the words right out of my mouth. It's so great to be on the same wavelength with so many on this site.

UW - :H:H!! I need to think about Salad for dinner!!

We're off to see some acrobats tonight - I'm sure it will be good especially since I'll remember the whole performance.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all! Sunday night - I do feel good that last time, a big part of my downfall was my mother's health issues...and also my own feelings about it. So I am very glad to know that I can deal with that now and in the future without turning to alcohol. another trigger was feeling extremely tired and boy was I yesterday and last night. I handled that too...so every day I'm gaining more and more confidence in the real me. :-)
              ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Another day AF just read the Jason Vale book Kick the drink tonight I liked it
                Stella

Back to the beginning day 02 Jan 2013

Grateful for MWO :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nestlediddles,

Steady, I was About to chase you down with an epi pen! Lol glad you are feeling better. Darn about the figs, they are divine

Unwasted, that pic is hysterical!

Hope everyone is having a good day...

I had do decline an invitation to a birthday party that happens to be on my birthday, and I guess I have declined too many offers to get together with this particular friend so now she is mad at me. I told her my struggles, with work and with al and she didn't respond so Im a little upset.

I have neglected alot of family and friends because of my drinking and my job.
                  Day 1 again 11/5/19
                  Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                  Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                  Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                  11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                  12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day one

Hi everyone,
                    Thanks for the warm (re) welcome. Day one again for me today, quite nice as I'm off work this week so should help me relax a bit and sort some stuff out around my messy house. Don't know what my 'plans' are, which looking around isn't a good thing. I reckon a plan is in order, maybe do that in bed tonight with a cocoa xxx
                    No doubt about it, I'm one heck of a boozer, though can't work out my state of mind. Fact is if I wasn't overweight and could afford it, I'd probably quite happily keep pouring at least two bottles of wine down my neck every day. I admit I worry about the role model I'm setting to my kids, whether me sat slumped about, probably boring people to death, probably embarrassing them, though can't remember most of that :H, and I know that it can't go on forever, sooner or later this is gonna catch up with me. I guess I'm what would be called a functioning alcoholic, though from what I understand, if I am an alcoholic, the nature of the disease will mean that what is currently a managable situation will progressively get worse, who would want that? Bottom line is I suppose I feel scared about my life without drink, though even saying it sounds crazy. I wish with all my heart I didn't feel this way, but I dare say those are the words uttered by anyone with a lifelong disease. I would stand up and say how much I love drink, I can't imagine life without drink, infact look at my shopping you can see where my priorities lie, that first stock take in the kitchen every morning before anything else at all, mental maths working out how and where to make sure enough for today, tonight...arghhhhh:upset:
                    All I know is I'm not drinking today. Love and peace to you all :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Aw Noodle, at least you are honest. It is hard to imagine never having a drink again.....I think this is where we must adopt the 'one day at a time' notion. It is easier to take steps rather than look too far ahead.
                      Went to visit my sister today and she was looking for 'drinking' company. Big fire on and 3pm with not a lot to do today - I was so tempted. And that temptation stayed with me until after 11pm tonight. I left her house and went for a nice drive with my girls, then home and made dinner. Girls all went out but that was another trigger - could I sneak a bottle and they won't find out?
                      Anyway, didn't do it; I weighed it all up. If I took a drink, I would definitely have smoked. Maybe it is good that there is more to lose be giving up 2 vices at once - we shall see.
                      Also, it bothered me how much I wanted to have a drink and how much my determination and resolve had diluted over 1 day. So I went in search of an inspirational 'booster'.
                      Checked out DoggyGirl's 'My NEW Story Starts Here' and feel a newfound strength - so thankful to all of you who log your stories here, but tonight a big thank you to DG.
                      Tomorrow here I come!
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Sunday evening & finally sitting quietly for a bit. Love having the grandkids over but.......

noodle & daisy, just want to mention something to you.
                        Don't make kicking AL out of your life a difficult thing - it doesn't have to be. Make it a positive thing that you are doing for yourselves, families & friends. Start a gratitude list - write down what you are/will be grateful for once AL is history! NO more hangovers, NO more making an ass of yourselves, NO more guilt & shame, etc. Give yourselves every possible chance to win this battle. Get AL out of your house, promise yourselves you won't buy more, make a PLAN!!!!! Don't leave anything to chance, make a plan for everything & anything. That's what I did & it worked

Unwasted, loved the pic :H

SH, glad you are on the mend

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Noodle, so many of us feel the same, I really do not wnat to never drink again. I came here to moderate, and tried fairly hard - not sure how hard I tried though, but it didn't seem to work. And reading so many posts here about those who have only one drink and then go down the rabbit hole again, as has been said one is too many and a thousand is not enough.
                          I am also taking this one day at a time, and live with a glimmer of hope that I can have a drink, and also a much bigger shred of hope that that desire will be ok, and I will loose that hope and be able to be happy one day never drinking again - but yes, it is really hard!
                          Daisy, well done on avoiding temptation, that is huge especially when there are so many triggers around - you will feel so glad tomorrow morning...These threads are so good here, there is alwasy one that helps with that minutes struggle!
                          Happy Sunday and heres to hangover free Monday - and happy holiday to the Americans!
                          “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Lav and Scottish Girl. Lav, I do have a massive list for why I want alcohol out of my life but I suppose today, I don't know, I was fine until I called with my sister. This would then call for an 'emergency plan'. I am ok now after staying here and reading but the pull was strong. I knew my sister would be drinking today so I suppose it was silly to go round there; really didn't expect it to tempt me but there we go.......another lesson!
                            Scottish Girl, what is the American holiday? Have so many relatives over there but haven't heard.......just being nosy!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Daisy - it is Martin Luther King day..
                              “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, ta Scottish Lass. I think I'll go on facebook to my American cousins and pretend I knew anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X