Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Today, just take good care of yourself today, drink lots of water/tea, eat some healthy food, etc.
    Go spend some time looking in the Tool box......

Jane, CONGRATS on your 7 AF days
    Keep going, no matter what & you will love the results.

I thought I'd share one of my favorite quotes with you today:
    "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be" Have any of you ever read anything about Lao Tzu?
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters...hope all are doing well today. Kids home for MLK day and seem to be driving me a little nuts this morning. Hang in there with those teens today, Canadian! Sounds like you have a big job there!!

On day 3 here. Need to get into the shower to change my bad attitude before it leads me into temptation.
      BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Helps For Sleep

My thoughts on Justin B: I think he wears his hair over his forehead in that disgusting way because it's covered in pustulating zits :H:H:H:

On the insomnia thing. I went many many nights when I would wake up so many times and would end up getting up at 3am. Spent many hours on the net in the wee hours. Then fortunately I got a prescription for compounded bio-idential low-dose HRT creams and also started taking GABA and 5HTP. Works like a charm and I'm sleeping all night for the first time in years. NO pesky hot flashes to wake me up.

Now I know most women either don't want to, or can't take HRT, but I highly recommend the amino acids. Do some research - try "The Mood Cure" and see if they might help.

Some other tips: Keep your room as black as possible. Walmart sells blackout curtains that aren't too expensive and they are pretty good. If you use an alarm clock turn it away from you so you can't see the light - and so that you can't check to see what time it is if you wake up - it's NOT helpful to know. Also keep your room as cool as you can. Just pile on the blankets.

Don't read in bed. Bedroom is for sleep - oh, and "the other thing" :H

If you spend time on your computer at night go onto F Lux and sign in. It's a free service that changes the light on your computer screen from white light to a more mellow yellow light when it gets dark. This helps to produce melatonin in the brain and gets you ready for sleep. You'll notice the change. It happens automatically. You have to tell the program what time zone you are in when you sign in. That's it.

Think about investing in a Litebook. This is a little light that imitates the sun - about the size of a shaving mirror. I use mine in the morning when I say my prayers. You can use it when you're putting on your make-up or eating breakfast, or when you are at your computer. As long as you use it as soon as possible in the morning.

It doesn't shine directly into your eyes which would be dangerous, but ACROSS your field of vision. It sets up your seratonin levels so that your melatonin levels rise at the right time - late in the day - this lets you sleep better at night (at least i think that's what happens - google it for a proper explanation). Half and hour in the morning and I'm good to go. Mine cost under $200.

Anyway hope you ladies have a better night tonight :h
        Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
        (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Lav, I definitely needed to check the Tool Box again. It is full of important things to remember. I feel bad now, I don't want to feel worse later. My strength came from making over 90 days AF last year and I want to feel good about myself again! I think I will jump in the shower, feeling fresh and clean will certainly be improvement over my pj's (comfy as they are). I think I got the idea from Bellegirl. Day 3 is great!

Anyone else on day 1?

Comment

Newbies Nest

MWOLady;1245773 wrote:

If you spend time on your computer at night go onto F Lux and sign in. It's a free service that changes the light on your computer screen from white light to a more mellow yellow light when it gets dark. This helps to produce melatonin in the brain and gets you ready for sleep. You'll notice the change. It happens automatically. You have to tell the program what time zone you are in when you sign in. That's it.
            Thanks for the tip MWOL!
            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters - no time today but just wanted to send everyone big hugs. Day 63 for me today! Sending everyone peace and strength.:l:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Scottish...am I believing my eyes? You are still hoping to be able to moderate? Did I read your post correctly that you think you only gave moderating half hearted attempts? Girl, aren't you just exhausted from trying? I never drank so hard as the year I tried moderating. What is your goal, do you know? I hope I'm not out of line here but if that is your goal, how on Earth does one achieve that? Go X number of days/months/years and then you can start all over and have a normal relationship with AL? From everything I've experienced and seen for myself, that's just not possible. Now notice I didn't say, from what I've read...you can read anything to make your case no matter what case that is...even on this site!!! Nobody could have tried harder to moderate than I did. Once you cross the line, that's your line for a lifetime....this is MY opinion. And if there is one thing that I have learned in this journey...AL will win. I do NOT have to have it in my life. Ever. Why would I? All it has ever done for me is _______(and NONE of it is good). It never GOT me a job, never strengthened my relationship with anyone, never made me perform better. Would I want to go to a surgeon who'd had a drink to make his/her performance better??? It hasn't done me any favors and I thank GOD that I feel this way about it. It's NOT glamorous or sexy. It's horrible....at least for me. Sorry...Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bryd - - no, i am just being honest - i know i can't drink, but I was trying to honestly say that the thoughts are continuously with me! My brain knows the truth, but my heart wants something else, i was trying to put in writing the battle within. I would love to be a social drinker, really do want to be - but I know that I can't be - doesn't stop me from wanting what I can't have! I was trying to express that I have similar desires to what others were expressing.
                  To begin with I was constantly thinking about having a drink, missing it and wondering how to get one - my thoughts have changed, but daily I think about if I really could manage to be one of the very few who successfully moderate. I will say that my goal is not to never drink again, my goal just now is to be happy with never drinking again. If I say my goal is to never drink again, i get really low and sad - when i realise my goal is to be happy with that decision, I feel much more positive, but Byrd, I have not reached that goal yet!
                  There are so many posts here that help with the reality of what we are doing and they are so very helpful - just being honest!
                  you are not out of line, and I am sorry I got your BP up....:l:l:l
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

yes jane can relate to that witching hour, i wonder when that thought will go away.

SL yes know how u feel, if i think i can never drink again i get so upset and think god how will i survive but if i think i just wont drink today then i feel better and happier. strange how our minds work. i crave al, i miss al, i think about al constantly but i dont want al today. i will do the same tomorrow but i just cant get it in my head either that i will never drink again. but in my heart i know i just cant have a cple.

Brydie what u said is so true but.........its good to be said in words and yes we all agree i am sure. god to moderate what a joy but to us on this site it is extremely unlikely and that is the reason we are here.

Im tired, im irritable, im headachy, im sad but i'm on day 3 alcy free and that makes me feel good.
                    xx
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi jane27, yes the beast is going to call out to me in about an hour when The Mr. asks me if I want a glass of wine, but I'll just say no thanks. and that will be day 15 under my belt.

I can surely relate to what Scottish Lass is going through too. I would dearly love to be a social drinker although for me social hour would be every hour from 4pm until bedtime!! And we all know what that means, don't we!!!!!

Let's be strong just for today and let tomorrow and all the other tomorrows take care of themselves.
                      Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                      (quote from Bean )

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Available! We cross posted. Sorry to hear you are feeling low, and headachy too :h So here are some good vibes for you :h:h

I'm sitting here at my computer munching on some almonds, and i'm going to have some left over t-bone steak for dinner with some sweet little grape tomatoes drenched in EEVO and organic apple cider vinegar, with a chocolate treat for dessert - that ought to cheer me up...what are you doing to cheer yourself up tonight?

:h:h
                        (quote from Bean )

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrd - for you!

and another good thread that was pointed out in yet another thread....worth reading everyone...

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...e-2-54755.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

and one more

we do know the truth, living it is tough...

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...day-43098.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Scottish....I'm sorry I blew! I was coming back to delete that post, but I can't believe the activity around here!
                              Lolab calls it the hamster wheel, it just breaks my heart the cycle that AL takes. I really am sorry, but I am angry at what this dam stuff does to our heads. I know that conflict in your head...all too well. May I tell you this, it gets much better and now at almost a year it is gone. I've gotten to the acceptance stage of the grieving process. It's a good place too, much more peaceful.
                              Thank you for not being mad at me....This disease is enough to piss off The Pope!
                              Love to all, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrd - I am glad you could not delete, I am sorry you feel bad about this - I am not!! I am not mad, I am not sad, I am resolved. I went and found posts feeling the same way and there is some comfort in finding that one is not alone. I will keep moving forward, but don't want to hide my true feelings - and any time i need a swift kick in the pants, feel free to do so, next time without remorse - deal??
                                I do look forward to being where you are Byrd, and hopefully will reach it! Love you too - and THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X