Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Oh boy Byrdie, it is going to be a party for you tomorrow!!!

Willow1, welcome to the forum. I like your first post and I hope you stick around. Alot of what you posted sounds very familiar. I found that reading and posting here is very helpful to me. I would look at the tool box thread in the "Monthly abstinance" section, there are alot of helpful ideas in there. You are literally surrounded by like minded people here, so post away.

I so agree with the posts about sleeping better too!
    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
    AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, a busy nest today ~ nice

Hello & welcome Willow & Starfish! This is definitely the place to be!!!!
      The MWO book is the best place to start. If you haven't read it yet, just download it from the Health store here on the site. Kicking AL out of our lives is one step, we also need to pay attention to healing ourselves with a healthy diet, a bit of exercise & some good supplements. The MWO Hypno CDs are da bomb........changing your thinking is essential for continued success.
      The Tool box is full of great ideas to help you put your plans together. Staying put in the nest is easy as we have installed nest belts & lots of butt velcro
      Stick around for a while, we'd all love to help you reach your goals!
      btw - an initial 30 day abstinence goal is generally a good idea before thinking about trying to drink moderately. Moderate drinking is something many/most of us have found we just cannot do but that needs to be a personal decision.

Byrdie - hope you are resting up for your anniversary party tomorrow!

I love hearing the newbies mention the benefits they are finding living without AL. An ever growing sense of gratitude is the best

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I think 1/20 should be proclaimed International Byrdlady Day! Byrdie, not only have you done so much for yourself and your family in the past year...you have spread your gospel far and wide in the universe. You are a shining star for all of us newbies and old newbies to learn from. I wish for you another 100 years of sobriety.

What a great bunch of folks we have here in the nest. The kids have kept me so busy today I am WAY behind on posts. I will catch up as my bedtime reading tonight on my phone (just that it is a pain to post on the phone).

I went to the financial seminar/dinner last night. The event was held at a lovely restaurant that I have never been to. Previous seminars were held at a hotel banquet room. I was so not expecting drinking to be an issue but.........Voila! Out came the waiter with bottles wine, asking each person "red or white". It happened so fast...but I was very proud of my self that my "No Thank You" was automatic!!! Yay Me! One other woman at my table declined, and then I noticed she was very pregnant. The red wine smelled luxurious (the guy next to me practically had his glass sitting right under my nose) and made my mouth water. Good thing the dinner was fabulous, and the dessert yummy.

For the first time in years, I slept through the night! And I woke up feeling very proud about my "No Thank You".

Let's all get a lot of rest tonight and prepare for the PARTY tomorrow!:bday3:
        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I could probably be celibate the rest of my days no bother! It's THAT nice!
          Andrew, trust me on this one, it is better than sex once you reach a certain age. You can count on it!:H:H

Red or White - No Thank you..........my favorite new phrase Belle. Outstanding job - so proud of you! Looking back, I know you wouldn't trade that blissful night of sleep for red or white and feeling like shit today!

Byrdie, can't wait to anniversary you tomorrow - can you tell -- all of us are jumping out of our skins and congratulating you too early -- how funny. Gearing up..........

MWOL - so right about the fake culture that revolves around drinking..........from where we sit now it just seems like one big bad joke doesn't it?!

Nitey sober nite all -- see everyone tomorrow to party hardy with our Beloved Byrdie. :bedtime:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, so busy today! Hello and welcome to starfish and...the other newbies. Dammit I hate posting on my phone because I can't look back and see what I want to respond to!
            Byrdie, I'm so excited for tomorrow and I can't wait for your speech!

I'm on day 11 today. The end of the work day and the drive home are a huge challenge but I have plans in place. Had a very productive day, and I THINK my moods are evening out but I'm not sure. Right now I'm not a basket case and I feel great. I have so much energy, I'm not snippy, my eyes and skin are clear and I feel clean all over. Getting to know yourself sober is a real eye opener.

Belle, red or white? My alcoholic mind would say " oh so you're not asking IF I want a drink, your just asking what kind, which means it's ok, and in that case I would like the red" but my voice would say "back the Fu@$ up bitch!" just kidding. Hopefully I would say no. Great job staying strong!!

Jane, Daisy- my sober buddies! I'm hanging tough and reading alot. Acceptance is a large pill to swallow but I'm starting to feel like I did when I quit smoking. Yes, it sucks, but I'm doing it for me and my future and it will get better and better as the habit fades.

We are kicking ass and taking names.
            Day 1 again 11/5/19
            Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
            Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
            Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
            11/27/19: messed up but back on track
            12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome to Willow1 and Starfish!! I am a newbie to the nest, also. I hope you find as much comfort in this forum that I have!

Congrats, Byrdie!! I am so joyful for you!

I've made it through day 5!! I challenged myself and went out to eat tonight. It seemed like everywhere I looked they had an advertisement for alcohol. I had a serious moment and really thought about ordering a drink, but I dug deep and thought better of it.

I've seen others posting about bad dreams/nightmares; is that normal for a newbie? I have been sleeping like poop lately and last night I had horrible nightmares. I have had the sweats for awhile, so those don't bother me anymore. When will I get some restful sleep??

Well, I am exhausted. Off to bed!! (hopefully will be able to sleep)
              Snufdizzle :h

Good things come to good people that work hard at being good.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats on day 11 Nursie, and for day 5 Snuf!
                Hopefully the nightmares go away quick, fight the monsters, you're already working on one; AL.

Welcome Starfish and Willow1, you've found a great place. Read and post! Tell us about yourself and everything you need to get out

Day 4 for me, yay! And I finally got more than 3 hrs sleep! Got about 6 and only woke up to change my nightshirt (ONCE). Looking forward to nice evening with friend and great sleep tonight.

Its only 8pm here so I'll congratulate you at your party tomorrow Byrdlady!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just a quickie as I am off to work in 3 minutes.

Belle- Awesome! Red or white- no thanks! Had I still been drinking, I would have said "I'll take both...AND leave the bottles" You did great! You should feel so proud of yourself! We sure as hell are proud of you.

Be back in bit to post more. Have a great one!
                  "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
                  Goal 1- 3 days al free
                  Goal 2- 7 days al free
                  Goal 3- 1 month al free
                  Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and comments everyone I really do appreciate the support and advice. I will check out the toolbox and develop a plan. Also I have the perfect excuse for not drinking - I really want to have a baby.

MWO Lady in regards to your question regarding whether my husband is aware of my problem and would be supportive, yes he is. I let my parents, two of my most trusted friends and husband know approximately four months ago of my problem with alcohol when I knew how badly its grip on me had become. My husband has really tried to change what we used to do together (drink all the time) by not wanting to drink at all during the week, reducing alcohol consumpition at home on weekends and making a commitment not to have alcohol in the house. He recognises also that he has a problem with stopping when out on corporate benders and is working on that. He is very supportive and very patient. I also relate to your 'fake drinking culture' comment. I am from Australia and it is massive. I was so shocked when I went to Italy for a few weeks and stayed with an Italian friend and went to a few of her family get togethers and outings with her friends in bars. No one seemed to guzzle like my friends, family and I do. People sat on their small glass of wine the entire night. I know one can't generalise and their are problem drinkers and alcoholics in all cultures, however it did highlight some cultural differences in drinking behaviours in the two countries for me.

I am interested in going on Topamax and plan to go to the doctor about it tomorrow. In Aug I did two weeks AF. The cravings each day were intense but I got through with the help of a little junk food as suggested. I lost about three kilos of weight even though I was eating some junk. This time I want to do it with the help of supplements, medication and everything else suggested.

Congratualations to everyone on their AF achievements & particularly Byrd Lady on your anniversary.

Short Term Goal - 7 days
                    Mid Term Goal - 14 days
                    Long Term Goal - 30 days

:thanks::l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh and all the best for your mini-goal Starfish!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nesters,

I am officially on holiday! I finished work today at 2 pm and now have about 9- 10 days off. Tomorrow I will go to my husband?s town. I am actually pretty excited! Chinese New Year is like our Christmas. Busy, lots of great food and company, lots of drinking (not for me) and this constant excited energy in the air.

UW- I am so happy to hear that you are doing well. And I will not hesitate for even a millisecond!

Lav- Hope you had fun with your daughter on her birthday. I?m sure you two could pass as sisters.

Jane- Glad you were able to hang out with Trigger. You said that you two casually drank in the past. Did Trigger notice that you weren?t drinking? Did he say anything about it? I?m sure that you both had a great time together even though you weren?t drinking. Keep that in mind when you are on vacation?.You will still have a great time sans al! How you feeling today? Is your mood any better?

MWOL- Congrats on 18 days. And dead on about the fake drinking culture. I wonder where that started?

K9- Sorry to hear you are not feeling well again. I think you should really take a day off and get some rest. You are a trooper for still going in to work! I hope you feel better soon. :l

Willow and Starfish- Welcome. :welcome: This is such a great site with loads of loving, supporting, encouraging, and inspirational people. Read as much as you can, ask questions, and post, post, post!

Jolie- You just keep racking up the days! 18 already! That?s awesome! Keep it up!

Andrew- Haha, you should join the priesthood then. :H JJ! But I have to agree, sleep is my new best friend!

PC- how you doing?

Nursie- So happy that you are doing so wonderful! Isn?t it amazing what just 11 days can do? Imagine how it is months down the road!

Snuf- When I quit drinking it is the same. Insomnia the first night, nightmares and sweats the next night, just nightmares the 3rd and perhaps 4th night, but then it usually gets better for me. Congrats on day 5!

Today- Yeah on day 4! And you will probably sleep a full 8 hours tonight! Double yeah!

To all the other Nesters, you are all doing great! Keep it up! Have a great day all!

AF- February 16, 2012
                        Goal 1- 3 days al free
                        Goal 2- 7 days al free
                        Goal 3- 1 month al free
                        Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

A lesson on the Chinese drinking culture. Let me attempt to explain what happens at these dinners I was talking about. Let’s say that there are 8 people including myself at the dinner. First of all food and beer (2-3 cases- 18 beers per case) is ordered. The beer comes. You pour it into a glass that is about the size of 3-4 shot glasses combined. Everyone cheers and you down the glass. You do this 3 times (not in a row, but in about 10-15 minutes). Then you start to individually cheer. You must cheers every person sitting at the table (not in a row, but throughout the dinner), downing your glass every time. If you don’t down your glass, it is considered impolite. And all the other people must cheers you once too. The catch is that if person 1 wants to cheers person 3 (as an example) all the other people must also find a person to cheers with. It’s like a group thing…if one person does it, everyone must follow. You can’t sip as you please. So let’s do the math so far: 3 + 7 + 7= 17 glasses of beer. THEN, there is always a heavy weight drinker at the table. So he continues to cheers people…and when one person does it, everyone must follow. So this dinner usually lasts about 2-3 hours. If people aren’t too, too drunk by this time, we will decide to go to Karaoke (KTV). KTV is not like what we have at home, but instead, every group gets an individual room, so it’s not as embarrassing. More beer and snacks are ordered. If after KTV, people aren’t too, too, too drunk, we will decide to go to another restaurant to eat and drink more. Finally by about 2 am or so, we stumble into our beds. The next night we do the same thing with different people. The other thing, that whole dinner (drinks included) would cost less than $150 IN TOTAL. It’s an alcoholics dream right? Well not this year!

AF- February 16, 2012
                          Goal 1- 3 days al free
                          Goal 2- 7 days al free
                          Goal 3- 1 month al free
                          Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Canadian Gal,

Thailand doesn't have a similar custom does it? God I hope not, I'll be going there in several months. Welcome starfish and willow and of course, congratulations Byrdlady on the fantastic milestone!
                            2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Holy guacamole now I know where all the cliches about Chinese new year come from! Sheesh!

Just a quick post from me too... Willow you're doing great!

I had another dream about alcohol last night, but this time in my dream I said no! Whew!
                              Day 1 again 11/5/19
                              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Allswell, I don't think they do this in Thailand. Plus, you probably wont be drinking with the locals anyway. Just watch out for the transvestites. Even if you are going with your bf or hub, they will still call out to him and try to lure him away. hahaha. Ridiculous!

Nursie- this isn't only at CNY unfortunately. This is every time we go back there...hence the nickname Bingers/ Alchies R Us. Thank god, I only go there twice a year :-)

AF- February 16, 2012
                                Goal 1- 3 days al free
                                Goal 2- 7 days al free
                                Goal 3- 1 month al free
                                Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Working...
                                X