Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Just wanted to pop in to say how WONDERFUL I think Byrdie is and to let her know that on this very special day. You are an inspiration to anyone who has come here and the fact you have made it 365 days is truly amazing and a goal we should all aspire to.

All I can say is :goodjob: And I hope you make yourself a beautiful cake today. If I were there you would have a huge White cake with lemon filling and a fluffy buttercream frosting decorated with pink daisies with orange centers. It would say on top of it "1" Just like a new baby.

Comment

Newbies Nest

wow, cg how are you going to abstain without being impolite? sounds like a crazy time - something I'd have loved awhile back.... Just like I always think - where were all you people when I was partying hard? I was always looking for someone who didn't want to call it an early night...someone who wanted to start as early and go as late and drink as much as I did....I guess it's a good thing we didnt find each other back then.

Belle, I am so so happy for you! You must be feeling so proud this morning.

Well, Byrdie - here you are - ONE YEAR AF!!!!! ointup: woo hoo!!!!!!!!

I know you don't stray far from the nest so you might want to check in on your party sometime today... https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...day-55202.html

Thank you thank you thank you - for being you - for putting it all out there...for letting us all know what to expect....for having an amazing way of putting your experiences into words so that it doesn't sound like preaching....for lifting us all up and having faith. :h

-lola
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey Windy - that sounds AMAZING - but I hope you took a picture already because I am ready for a piece of that yummy sounding cake! My lemon crinkle cookies should have had 3 times the amount of lemon that the recipe called for - and I was tempted to add more but didnt want to mess it up...:-(
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Lola,

Make some more and tweak it a bit then send half to me and the other half to Byrdie and we will let you know. tee hee. I love experimenting with new recipes and sometimes it works and sometimes not. That cake I would make for Byrdie would be great with cookies on the side (with pink daisies). I guess I am thinking Spring already.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie - you deserve your own special post here today. And, don't miss your other one that Lola put up for you.

You have been such an inspiration to me and everyone in the nest. Your wise no-nonsense posts make me want to do better! Thank you so much! You deserve this fabulous life. We all do, and you're helping us get there.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday morning Nesters

Byrdie, CONGRATS on your 1 year AF!
              Be proud of your self today, you have done very well! Thank you for being the assistant nest mum too, you have helped so many newbies get started & find their way

CG, Just how are you going to survive that alcohol fueled celebration - geez
              I cringed reading your description & had already decided I would skip it if I was in your shoes. I seriously wish you the best!

Great to see everyone, have to run for now!
              Have a great AF Friday one & all!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning All!! Boy, I'm really curious about that Chinese custom of the toasts and the heavy drinking. Surely that does not pre-date Communism? So what the heck caused this? Anybody know? And I guess in a culture where it is very unusual for anyone to buck the tide it would be hard for anyone to raise his hand and say STOP, I want to get off this merry-go-round!!!! Poor people! Canadian Gal, is this something that the wives do too? Or is this a business-man thing? I have a girl friend who is Chinese and she tells me her parents never drank. As a matter of fact they had nothing but water in her home. She was raised in a city but not a big city like we would know the name of. Quite interesting eh, different cultures....

The more I think about my drinking history the more I'm convinced that total abstinence is the best decision for me. I'm not sure looking back I ever even liked the taste of hard liquor, or wine, and I never really liked how it made me feel!!! What a hoot!! So why did I pour so much of it down my neck!! All psychological stuff I now think - first to overcome shyness, then to quell anxiety and unhappiness etc.

It's taken me a lot of years to really THINK about this stuff. Oh well, better late than never. God bless you all and have a wonderful day.
                Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am literally FLOORED!!!

I must say that I am speechless for the first time!! The outpouring of friendship and support is overwhelming. Lolab...my own LINK!!!! I am so very happy!! Thank you for these messages...I'm going to need a moment to go have a spell, fix my make up and come back for my speech! I am just humbled and very proud. Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Andrew from Ireland;1247999 wrote: Oh the sleeping is the BEST
                    I get SO much pleasure climbing into bed feeling so nice and naturally tired and drifting off almost immediately that I could probably be celibate the rest of my days no bother! It's THAT nice!
                    I had to chuckle at this one...I feel the same way!!! I'm not sure I'd want someone "messing" up my nightly routine. I already have to holler at the dogs for trying to lick off my $30 face cream! LOL

And now: CONGRATULATIONS BYRDIE!!!!
                    You are one awesome person...thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your advice, support, encouragement, and kicks in the ass as-needed! You rock!

I am feeling SO much better today, the congestion is finally breaking up and I don't have to be a retarded looking "mouth breather" anymore. LOL

Boy that Chinese New Year sounds interesting. Funny, I just watched a movie the other night (the one I had to "read", it had subtitles) and it was all about this guy who's life unravels due to drinking. It sounds a lot like what CG was talking about. Craziness.

Well today is Friday and we're going into our 3rd AF weekend in January! What does everyone have planned? We're expecting rain (finally) so I plan on a fire and a book and some movies...oh and lots of good food

Everyone take care and stay strong and enjoy hangover-free Saturday and Sunday mornings!

:h
                    K9
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lol and Lav- I plan to order a bottle of Sprite instead of drinking the beer. My excuse: My health isn't so good right now so I can't drink. If they push me, I'll stand my ground. I don't mind saying "So you'd rather I drink with you and end up in the hospital, yes?" I am sure I can down many glasses of Sprite...although haven't drank it in ages, so we'll see.

MWOL- drinking has always been a big thing in China from way way way back. Communism is fairly new (started mid 40's). Although typically way way back, they drank rice wine and that to me tastes like a mixture of rubbing alcohol and poison in a bottle. I tried it once and never again. People who are going to the dinner know what they are getting themselves into. If they don't want to drink, they don't go to the dinner. Some wives do it too...the ones who aren't planning on having kids within the next 1 and 1/2 years. This could also just be in my husband's town...his province is known for heavy drinkers.

I will be checking in during my holiday and will share some of the drinking scenes that I will observe. Hopefully, they will make you not want to drink again.

Nighty night nesters!
                      "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
                      Goal 1- 3 days al free
                      Goal 2- 7 days al free
                      Goal 3- 1 month al free
                      Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you!!

Feb 22, 2010.....my first week on MWO.
                        When do the cravings leave for good?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exhausting....day 22, vodka free, but am having a couple glasses of wine while preparing dinner and eating....trouble is, I'm clinging to the wine like a life preserver...want it earlier and to chug it. I fear that I'm not going to be able to moderate either. When do these darn cravings start to go away? 4:30 -6 I am a blithering idiot craving so bad. I'm taking the L-Glutamine....hoped that would help but not seeing much difference. I have been drinking vodka for 20 some years and am proud that I'm at least not drinking that.. what a monster I have gotten in bed with....(so to speak). When I finally came clean to hubby, I was drinking 1/2 a fifth a day...a wonder I could function...maybe I wasn't getting away with it as much as I thought. He sure saw thru me. So glad at least to have that monkey off. But now looks like the wine monkey is creeping up my leg!

This was from my first week after I learned how to post. I came here Jan. 31, 2010. I had no idea how prophetic and pathetic this post would become. The wine monkey crept up my leg, up my @$$ and squarely on my back. It would take me almost a year of trying to finally come to the stage of acceptance.
                        When I came here the first time, I had no where else to go except rehab. I was scared to death. How could I possibly give up something so important to me as AL? I was lonely, and I was desperate. When I got here, I was immeditately accepted and taken in by Lav and many others at the time. I was so grateful. Others flew in from time to time and talked about how wonderful being sober was and how much time they had AF. Blah, blah, blah....All well and good, but I wanted to know how the hell to do it. What did I have to do to get myself back in control? How do I NOT drink? This is what I needed to move forward. I had to take small bites of the Impossible, and make it possible. It took a year of trying to moderate before I learned who to listen to, but I finally did. I am referring to the Voices in my head, and the voices on this site. I had to adhere to the very people who were doing what I needed to do (STOP drinking) on this site (LAV) as well as listen to the right voice in my head. I had to get control of my mind and my thoughts. I didn't listen to the AL voice anymore...I couldn't. I just kept plugging away until I had such an investment in my quit, I couldn't quit quitting. My education and my sobriety are my 2 biggest and most difficult accomplishments. I am very proud of both. Alcoholism is a lifelong party, and I got an invitation. Today, I look at my AF time and I consider it the greatest gift I have given myself in a very long time. It is NOT a sentence...it is to be enjoyed. I didn't always feel like this, the first several months I felt deprived and empty. Not anymore, I feel free and peaceful. My head isn't a constant jabber of clammering voices and choices to make. I know the path, and I intend to follow it. I am 52 years old, and I am truly enjoying my life for the first time. It's the life I built while I was going thru the motions. Windy, it really IS a rebirth. I found something that I wouldn't take anything for....I FOUND ME. I found my self-respect. The weight of addiction is a heavy one, not only for me, but the ones I love. They looked scared that I had left and was never coming back. How can you learn to accept disappointment? I did, under the weight of AL. I had to reach beyond what I knew for sure and trust in the 'what can be's'. I will always be vigilant, mindful, and grateful.
                        Thank you for this place and the people in it. I am very proud of what we accomplish every day together.
                        If I could make one wish for today...it would be that you will know this peace, too. Stay strong. MindPeace, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

now I'm the one who has to go fix her makeup...Byrdie that was beyond beautiful - your happiness can be "heard" in your words and I don't know how anyone can NOT want that too.

"I am 52 years old, and I am truly enjoying my life for the first time. It's the life I built while I was going thru the motions" yep...:l

You're such a gem...:h
                          ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

:wd::wd: Well done Byrdie!!!!

We all truly have that inner voice of reason!
                            Once we quiet all the monkey chatter in our minds & just listen ~ we can hear our own voice of reason

I am very happy for you Byrdie :heart:
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well said Byrdlady!! I will think about this quote a lot "I just kept plugging away until I had such an investment in my QUIT I couldn't quit quitting." Priceless.

That's good. This is an investment with a huge return..:h:h
                              Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                              (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Newbies Nest

Amazing posts from everyone

Thank you
                                Stella

Back to the beginning day 02 Jan 2013

Grateful for MWO :thanks:

Comment

Working...
                                X